Paying Credit Card from Abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if someone can help me.

We moved to Canada 5 years ago and have been paying some credit cards & loans through our uk bank account.

Unfortunately the bank closed our account this month.

Does anyone know how I can pay my bills from overseas.

Contacted Cahoot they said sorry there is no way.

Amex has an account but it will cost me dearly to transfer money to the account.

Is there anything like paypal that will allow me to pay these accounts

Thanks for your help

Cahoot are wrong. You can get their bank details and send payment my standing order/bank transfer. They cannot refuse to accept any payment towards a debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

so you are still paying the original lenders on all your debts yes?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On your statements there will be a telephone number to use when phoning from abroad or an automated payment line. You should be able to use this to make payments.

Your bank in Canada can transfer payments, if the UK credit card people give you details.

The issue you have is, that creditors do not like their cardholders living abroad, as it makes it very difficult if you defaulted. They can't normally gain a UK CCJ in your absence and with it, they cannot enforce in Canada. Also if you are in Canada, you are probably not worried by UK credit reference defaults, as it would not affect you in Canada.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

so you are still paying the original lenders on all your debts yes?

dx

Yes, my local bank charge me $25 per bank transfer, so have been sending money back via paypal which is cheaper. It is going to cost me more to set up individual bank transfers and ask the bank to send them. I just wondered if there was another, cheaper way.

Thanks

Yes, my local bank charge me $25 per bank transfer, so have been sending money back via paypal which is cheaper. It is going to cost me more to set up individual bank transfers and ask the bank to send them. I just wondered if there was another, cheaper way.

Thanks

Yes phoning the UK credit card provider by telephone to make the payment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks

Hi,

Have a look for a company called 'Currency Fair'. The fee is around 3 GBP per transfer and you get to either use the daily rate, (better rate than the banks) or select your own and wait to see if it becomes available.

I will leave it at that as I don't want this to sound like a marketing ploy. I just cringed slightly when I read you were using PayPal for transferring money as you'll be losing a bit of money with their rates !

Edit - Sorry, just noticed that you don't have a UK account set up so this might not won't work for you !

Hello there.

You could also have a look at TransferWise who match buyers and sellers of currency and have low fees. I've used them to transfer money from the UK to abroad. I just don't know which countries you can use them in.

Worth a look though. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...

I rang Amex and explained the situation.

They will not accept a credit card from Canada, they asked me to send cheques.

In the meantime I have had 2 x 4:00 am phone calls from the UK from Amex.

I rang and lodged a formal complaint, which they say they are investigating.

This morning I have had a 2:00 am & 6:00 am phone call.

They are aware I am in Canada, they are aware of the 7 hour time difference.

What else can I do?

Lodge a formal complaint with them and the regulators.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Formal Complaint to their Head / Registered office.

Are you paying the card off or still using it ?

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I wonder if it would be worth putting the ball back in their court. They must find you a way to make these payments and NOT by cheque or expensive transfers. Of course if they are refusing to help you then they are NOT treating you fairly.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you phoned them to make a payment using a Canadian bank card, how would they know.

It would be accepted in the same way, as any other card payment.

Depends on what charges your Canadian bank makes to paying a foreign debt, as to whether this is a viable option.