Can our landlord just turn up to look round the outside of the house if we are with a lettings agent? (U.K.)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have a tenancy with a local letting agent, the owner lives away and comes back to the area every so often and Friday our neighbour said they saw the old owner looking round the house whilst we were both at work.

Saturday, we were sat in the lounge watching television, when something caught our eye and we saw the owner moving quickly away from the window. I went outside and she was taking photos of the house.

Anyway, can she actually do this?! Randomly turn up unannounced, even to the outside of the property? We’re really concerned as she said that her brother will come round at some point to do some work on the drainpipe which is fine, but she wouldn’t say when it would be. I asked her to make sure we knew when to expect him, to which she replied ‘you don’t need to know when it will be, he’ll just sort it’. So basically, we’ll have a random guy we have never met putting up a set of ladders next to our bedroom window, at some point between now and the end of time!

Also, she hasn’t gone through the letting agency regarding this, isn’t this a grey area with regards to changes being made to the property that the letting agents have not been made aware of?

If you can advise, please post sources/links to websites if you have them so I can back up what I’m saying when I go into the agency – I have looked online but there is so much diverse opinion on tenants rights!

Also, what can we actually legally do if it persists after we talk to the agency?

Thanks in advance.

LL must give you ay least 24 hrs notice of any visit for inspection or repair, which you do not have to accept, and can arrange for a more convenient time.

you can legally change the locks, so they cannot enter.

this may help!

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting?gclid=CJ7X3f_s18ICFXQatAodiUUAfw

Interesting Q. IMO anyone can inspct/view/property from public land without permission, but not from within curtilage of demised property if access restricted eg bolted gate. Repeated incursions by LL/agent could be regarded as trespass/harassment if not agreed in advance.

24hr+ notices usually relate to internal inspection of living accom.

Certainly would not stop me peering over the garden wall & taking exterior property photo's.

I doubt your TA is with LA, but with LL. LA may have signed as authorised LL agent.

Nothing stops anyone taking pictures of the house from outside.

As said, unless there's a locked gate, anyone can walk up to your windows.

Regarding external repairs, it's a matter of courtesy to let you know what and when it would be done.

Speak to the LL and let him know that you wish to be advised when the downpipes will be fixed and maybe he'll be polite enough to give you a call the day before.

Hi loomis9301

Welcome to CAG

I would get some long recording device / or a micro camera, place them strategically at the entry points to the house. If your at work they will allow you to check whose been in the house. They are inexpensive but will help gather evidence, if anything is going on. I'm not saying it's harrassment, you need evidence for that to be the case. Keep a diary of events.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/harassment_and_illegal_eviction_by_landlord/harassment_by_a_landlord

It might be that her brother has agreed to do the work under duress ("I'll do it when I have time!!!") and won't agree a fixed appointment.

Assuming her brother is not a complete idiot (maybe a bad assumption) he will knock on the door before starting work so that you are not caught out.

Presumably it's work that needs doing - landlords aren't prone to doing work that doesn't need doing, and gutters are important (I've just spent part of my Christmas hols repainting a room because a gutter became separated from the drain pipe and caused a mould build-up inside the tenant's bedroom).