Carphone Warehouse - Faulty Tablet - Help Needed ASAP!

Soo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought a tablet computer at the start of Jan 2014 from a large phone shop.

After only 3.5months (the middle of April 2014) it developed a fault.

I took it straight back to the seller/shop and they sent it for repair.

(the tablet has a booklet stating a 24month warranty.)

It's now happened again (middle of Dec 2014) with the same fault.

I took the device back to the shop and they again sent it for repair but

on returning home the device still isn't working.

I'd like some advice before I go into the shop on what to say and where I stand legally etc.

-Am I entitled to a refund or replacement as I've already accepted a repair twice and this hasn't fixed the issue?-

I've heard they're only responsible upto 6months after buying the item,

after that it's down to the owner.

Does this still apply when the original fault occured only 3.5months after purchase with the same fault recoccuring 7.5months later?-

This will seem petty, but I've heard of consequential loss, could this be applied to travel expenses?

So far it's cost £20 in travel fares for a device brought for £80. I have 2 of the receipts.

I brought it from Carphone Warehouse. It's only just over 11months old and 3weeks have been wasted with it being taken away for repair.Thanks for anymore help you can offer.

Hi Soo

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (purchased tablet), how they have let you down (it's faulty it's been in for repair twice already when you've really needed it) and what you want them to do (replace or refund the tablet - compensation for consequential loss - travel).

Send it to:-

Mr Graham Stapleton

Chief Executive

Carphone Warehouse UK

[email protected]

Let us know what they say.

I'm going to go back to the shop now (hense the asap in the title-lol) and see what they say.

I'm not holding my breath though.

They said the second time that they'd 'flashed' the device.

I do have all the receipts including the purchase receipt,

the April repair recepit and the December receipt and they're all dated.

If I get no joy then I'll try an email/letter but I

hate that as you're just left waiting and it's even worse over Christmas and everything takes longer!

Thanks for your help and info Conniff and Rebel11. I'll let you know how I get on.

But you still haven't told us what the fault is

Sorry, Bank Fodder. The tablet won't come on.

The charger is in two parts, the square block that goes into the wall and the wire which goes from the block to the tablet,

you can then disconnect the wire from the square plug and use it to plug into the usb on your computer.

when it's plugged into the usb port of the computer or the wall nothing happens,

you don't even get the little battery symbol to show it's plugged in

and when it's connected to the computer there is no response as if nothing is plugged in.

They gave me a new wire to try but

I told them I knew it wasn't the wire as I have a Samsung mp3 player (Samsung is the make of tablet aswell)

and it has the same charger so I used the charger on the mp3 player

and that was recognised by the computer and started charged when plugged into the wall.

I went to the shop and they wouldn't give me a refund or an exchange.

They said they'd only send it in for repair again.

I explained that it's been in twice with the same fault so it's an issue with the machine.

Manager spoke with a woman in head office who said they wouldn't do a refund or replacement.

I then spoke to the woman and said that as I've brought it in twice for repair I think I've been reasonable

and allowed them to try and fix it.

I read out this thing I found on the net.".

.if you discover a fault then you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced free of charge

- provided you did not cause the damage.

If the fault occurs within the first 6 months of owning the item it is accepted that the fault was there when you brought it.

In general, the seller can offer to repair the item first. This should be a permanent repair and the problem should no reoccur.

If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund.

If you are not happy with the retailers offer to repair the item, you can say 'no'

but if you do this, you may have to use the small claims procedure"

To me it's the same fault which has occurs again so it can't have been a permenant fix.

I also read the SOGA bit which says

"if these remedies take an unreasonable length of timje or cause you significant inconvience or do not resolve the problem,

you are still entitled to a refund"

- but she said that I was getting that wrong.

I ended up sending it back in for repair but asked if the phone call was recorded as I stated that I wouldn't be happy bring it back again in March

and then June and so on.

Also asked staff to put additional notes for the repair staff to state that this will be the 3rd time in for repair

so they are aware and there's also a note telling them there's additional info with the woman from head office.

If you issue a small claim you will find that they will start listening to you.

Hi soo

You were worried about getting this matter resolved before Christmas,

now this is going to drag on for at least another month,

their workshops will have a backlog.

Now they have got the tablet back,

send the email as suggested to the CEO.

Ask for a refund, see what they offer.

I went to the shop and they wouldn't give me a refund or an exchange. They said they'd only send it in for repair again. I explained that it's been in twice with the same fault so it's an issue with the machine. Manager spoke with a woman in head office who said they wouldn't do a refund or replacement.I then spoke to the woman and said that as I've brought it in twice for repair I think I've been reasonable and allowed them to try and fix it. I read out this thing I found on the net."..if you discover a fault then you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced free of charge - provided you did not cause the damage. If the fault occurs within the first 6 months of owning the item it is accepted that the fault was there when you brought it. In general, the seller can offer to repair the item first. This should be a permanent repair and the problem should no reoccur. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailers offer to repair the item, you can say 'no' but if you do this, you may have to use the small claims procedure"To me it's the same fault which has occurs again so it can't have been a permenant fixture.I also read the SOGA bit which says "if these remedies take an unreasonable length of timje or cause you significant inconvience or do not resolve the problem, you are still entitled to a refund" - but she said that I was getting that wrong. I ended up sending it back in for repair but asked if the phone call was recorded as I stated that I wouldn't be happy bring it back again in March and then June and so on. Also asked staff to put additional notes for the repair staff to state that this will be the 3rd time in for repair so they are aware and there's also a note telling them there's additional info with the woman from head office.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

I got a voicemail to say the tablet was ready to be picked up.

I went to the shop today and the assistant got the tablet from the storeroom.

In the past it's been in a fabric zip bag as I have the original box (they didn't take the box from me on any occasion, only the device)

and they take it out the bag to show you and give it you back.

This time however it was in a clean box... a new box!

After about 5minutes of the assitant trying to get something printed out on the computer

I asked if it was a new tablet (I wasn't sure, it could've been my old one in the box!) and

she said "yes".No one had mentioned this in the store or on the voicemail that it was going to a replacement, which I'm glad about.

Hopefully, touch wood, fingers crossed and all that, that this one will be ok.

Thanks for all your help.

P.S. - I've heard of Consequential Loss,

this is what I got "you are entitled to claim damages from the trader to cover your losses if they were caused as a direct result of the goods being faulty..."

Does anyone think I could have a claim?

As they've replaced the tablet with a new one

could this be proof that the tablet was indeed faulty as I claimed?

It's cost me in total £24.20 to travel to and from the store by bus (5x£4.00 and 1x£4.20)

these were day travel tickets but that was/is the cheapest way to get there, singles there and back would have been £2.10 each way..

I have 3 of the bus tickets but obviously not the ones from April 2014 and one from December.

I've got the replacement which is what I wanted all along so don't know whether to cut my losses,

but £24.20 is a lot of money to me especially when the product was only £79

so the travel is over 20% of the cost of the product!

Plus I had no need to go to the store other than the faulty product.