NHS Prescription charges - penalty charge notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, so either one of two things has happened:

(1) They have made a mistake and recorded the wrong box as being ticked on a prescription filled in November 2014, or

(2) You or someone who collects prescriptions for you has made a mistake and ticked box M instead of box F.

If you are 100% sure that (2) cannot have happened in November 2014, then I would urge you to write to the NHS BSA. Include a photocopy of the pre-payment certificate (not the original) and tell them that they've made a mistake and you want your money back.

Do you always use the same chemists? Might be worth having a word with the pharmacist, I don't know if they keep any records themselves or not, but it's worth a try.

Please forgive me, but I'm finding it hard to understand what you are trying to say.

Are you asking about the charge you've received, or about the fact that you think you've mistakenly claimed an exemption in the past?

My advice would be to concentrate on the matter in hand (the charge you've already received) and don't fret about anything else. In my opinion there's no chance that you'll get any correspondence about whatever happened before this; the NHS BSA only took over dealing with it in September 2014, so won't be concerned about anything prior to that.

They probably could go as far back as they liked, but why do that? People are likely to just resign themselves to paying a relatively small charge without complaint, but would kick up an almighty fuss if a charge of several thousand pounds arrived out of the blue. This way I'm sure they hoped to increase revenue without stirring up the media. And even if the media do get involved, popular opinion is likely to sneer at amounts such as these as a mere pittance and not take up the cause.

Nope they've played it perfectly. Silently introduce a new system whereby they can catch genuine claimants out with paperwork (they argue that it is the paperwork, not the condition that entitles you), send out fines (sorry, charges) with no means of appeal and no burden of proof on them. Perfect.

• 2 months later...