• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Karish v Abbey

Karish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Can anyone help me with this I am just reading through the guide to claiming your money back and the frequently asked questions. If I understand correctly It would be best to close my account before proceeding. I am a little bit worried about closing my account as a) I have a large overdraft and b) I am not sure if another bank will let me open an account when they see that I have an overdraft. Has anyone else been in this position? And can anyone recommend a bank to open an account with?:confused: Any advice would be greatly appreciated:-)

I have read the FAQs and spent a few days reading threads and getting used to the process that you have to go through when you make a claim against your bank. I am confident that I am prepared to take this all of the way to the courts if I need to. I would like to purchase the small claims kit and the small claims practical guide but I am having problems buying through this site. I will be opening my pararchute account this week. Should I phone Abbey first? and Is there anything else that I need to do before I send my first letter? From what I have been reading Abbey are going to give me a hard time but I am prepared for the battle. Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused: :o

Send the first letter, stick to your timescale and try not to speak to them on the phone, it will not really help.

Good luck and come back with any specific questions.

HSBC

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3078

24th October - LBA

7th November - Claim filed

11th November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Defence filed

16th December 2006 - Offered full amount but no default removal. Rejection letter sent.

Halifax

7th October 2006 - Prelim for £3427

24th October - LBA

3rd November - Offered £913

3rd November - Accepted as partial payment

7th November - Claim issued

21st November - Acknowledged with intent to defend

11th December - Offered full amount but no late payment removal

4th January - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

A & L

19th October - Prelim for £540

26th October - Offered £358

2nd November - Accepted as partial payment and LBA

27th November - SETTLED + removed adverse credit info

Go for it! Send of the SAR and spend that time reading as many threads on here as possible, you'll get a flavour of how each bank generally works, so when you get a certain response from the bank you'll be wise to it already and not be worried.

Two big things A) don't let the bank dictate the timescales, stick to yours rigidly and B) don't let them scare you into taking less that 100% of your claim, YOU WILL WIN!

Good luck

JKop Vs Barclays SETTLED

JKop Vs Cahoot SETTLED

Jkop V Capital One SETTLED

Jkop V Marbles SETTLED

Jkop V MBNA £422 MCOL

Jkop V Egg SETTLED

Jkop V Cahoot Credit Card SETTLED

Jkop V HSCB £1500 W.I.P!

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you all know that I checked my account yesterday to find that Abbey had charged me £50 for going over my overdraft limit. I called them straight away and told the customer services assistant that I was calling about the charges that they had applied. He looked at my account and then told me that he was going to refund the charges in full. I did not even have to argue the point with him. This is the second time that I have called and they have refunded the charges without me having to actually ask them to do it. I intend to call every time I am charged until I complete my claim. I will be sending off my SAR on Monday.

I was wondering has anyone been in the position of having an overdraft facility and Abbey has taken away the facility without giving notice? I am a little bit worried that this could happen and then I would be stuck financially for the month.:eek: :eek: :eek: Do I move my salary and my bills to my parachute account now? Looking forward to hearing from you guys.:)

p.s. Have I added to my thread correctly. I am not very PC literate. Karish

Hi Karish.

I'm in the same boat as you. I also have an od facility and I'm expecting a letter any day now to say they are removing it. I filed with moneyclaim on Tuesday and the claim will be deemed as served on 13th Nov giving Abbey 14 days to respond.

Our charges will more than cover the overdraft but in the meantime I too don't know whether to start moving my direct debits, etc into our new account or just leave them and see what happens

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

Hi, I have confirmation that Abbey have recieved my SAR form. I know that they have 40 days to respond. As we all know they will use stalling tactics. Shall I contact them to confirm that they are going to provide me with the information. I thought a little nudge would not hurt. Or shall I wait a bit longer? Also is it best to call, e mail or write. I have picked up the contact telephone numbers for customer services complaints and Dawn Hoyle head of Customer satisfaction from this site.

P.S. Its good to see so may people having success.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received 11 months statements plus a copy of the letter with Abbeys microfiche excuse. I have used the template letter telling them that I am aware that microfiche is relevent filing system and that they now have 22 days to comply with my request. I will be sending it recorded delivery tomorrow. I have calculated the last eleven months charges and it currently adds up to £685. I did not realise that it was so much. Is there anything else that I can do to prepare myself for the next stage whilst I am waiting for the rest of my statements?

Just keep reading as many threads as you can, also look at settled threads as you have the whole story there. Good luck with your claim.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, I have not posted for a while as I have been waiting for my statements. I was expecting a battle and have been surprised as I am now in posssession of my bank statements for the past six years. They have been sent to me well within the forty day deadlibe which expires on 19th December. I have been trying to access the vampiress spreadsheet to start completing the calculations for my claim but I dont seem to be able to access any spreadsheets can anyone help me with this?

Thanks;)

Hi Karish

This will link you to the spreadsheets, I have started to use the

bank accounts

england advanced

spreadsheet.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

Read the first page carefully as it helps to calculate the interest charges.

Data Protection Act letter sent 18/11/06

Request acceptance letter received 02/12/06

13 statements received 5/12/06

Microfishe statements received 20/12/06

Prelim letter sent 4/01/07

Fob off letter received from Abbey 17/01/07

Letter Before Action sent 18/01/07

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of moving my business over to me Natwest account. I have an overdraft on my account. I am not quite sure what to do about the overdraft. I cannot afford to pay it off as it is over £1000 so the question is do I a. Try to make an agreement to pay it off before I lodge my claim for a refund. b. Leave it and claim that the account is in default when Abbey ask me to repay c. Take out a loan to cover the payment knowing that the refund will cover the overdraft payment in full and then reapy the loan when I get the refund. I understand that I can claim that the account is in default but some threads are indicating that Abbey are being extremly heavy handed in these cases and I really do not want a default logged on my credit file even though I know I can ask the judge to have it removed as part of my settlement. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :o :o Karish

Karish, if it's any consolation I'm in the same situation. In my case, my claim exceeds the overdraft in my now dormant Abbey account. For what it's worth, I'm just going to see what they do. If they get eggy, I'll just write back saying the account is in dispute and if they threaten logging a default with the credit agencies, I'll threaten a complaint to the Ombudsman - I've read elsewhere that this does the trick. Regards, Mad Nick.

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Now I have got the festivities over with I am back on track to process my claim. I am just compiling my charges spreadsheet. Can anyone tell me whether I can include interest debits on this spreadsheet?

Many thanks

Karish:confused:

Hi Can anyone help me with this. I have completed my charges spreadsheet. On the letter that I need to send the following sentence is included..

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX .

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter

How do I calculate the figure for the overdraft interest? I have used the simple spreadsheet. Do I have to include overdraft interest?

• 2 months later...

Hi, everyone. Progress with my case is going well. I recieved my allocation questionnaire yesterday and will be filling it in over the weekend. I also received my offer for the settlement of half the value of my claim. Abbey are also putting pressure on me to repay my overdraft I have received a telephone call and a letter but I will be sending them a letter reminding them that my account is in defaualt and offer to pay a sum each month. I will also be sending them a letter rejecting their offer. I have been able to do these things with confidence because of the invaluable help from this site. Do I send the rejection letter headed without prejudice. As their offer letter is headed without prejudice.

Thanks

Karish