Falsely Imprisoned & Harassed by Workplace Security

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please only read this if you can provide useful help.

I am just a small cog, in a huge manufacturing plant that has its own site security who man the gates checking lorries leaving.

This morning I had to leave night shift early due to a private hospital appointment. This was pre-planned, and accepted by my boss, and I also had the proof letter.

There are 2 lanes to exit, with retractable bollards, and safety barriers that can also be raised. As there was a long que of lorries in the left hand lane, I chose to use the open right hand lane as the first set of bollards & barriers were open.

This is something we always do when usually leaving after a shift. As I approached, the security lady waved her right arm backward and forwards as if to indicate me to move forwards. She then turned around and started shouting to my surprise. I was by now past the first lowered bollards, and in the 'security box'. Ahead the 2nd barriers were raised, but the 2nd bollards up. She shouted, " I told you to stop, you need to reverse and go to the back"

I told her don't be stupid it is dark and raining, and would she open the barriers. She got the hump and made threats to 'report' me for calling her stupid. I said, do whatever you need to, but can I just get home now as I have permission for my appointment, and I am in my own time. She refused, and then took my name & reg, and asked for my company ID, which I gave her. I told her again I needed to go and moved the car an inch. She stood in front of my car and stopped me there while she shouted to the other guard to close the other barrier preventing my exit. She now has my reg, ID and name, and still is refusing to let me go home.

I said, and I quote "Look, you have my details, lets just deal with this Monday" She said "You wont have a job on Monday" I said "Well we'll see won't we" ...she carried on the radio for a few minutes when I just told her "look, I have permission to leave this site for a medical reason for which I will hold you responsible" She lowered the bollard and I left. Now this was 5 mins of my time I won't get back, and I do not appreciate being threatened by a hitler security guard on my way out of a very physical job.

There are 2 lanes to exit. I did not think it was unreasonable as the left hand lane was full of commercial lorries being checked, for me as an employee who works hard, to use the right hand lane which was open. I did not appreciate having my ID taken, and kept against my will. I did not commit a criminal offence. This is all on CCTV as she told me. Great, I would like to see that as everything I have said happened they will see.

Can I SAR them for the footage of me by any chance? It is data, and do they have to comply?

What I would also like help with please is if any, is what workplace offences she, or I may have committed, as my workplace uses a kangaroo court style justice system where they trump up charges to boost their own ego. I have been through a tribunal myself, which I won, and I know that there has to be proof of EVERYTHING for things to stick legally. They cannot take one side over the other, which is what they will do anyway, as they like to get one over us on the shop floor by 'doing someone' regularly to show their superiority.

Also, was I falsely imprisoned, threatened unfairly etc.. It is now 7am, 2 hours after I left work, and I cannot sleep due to this stressing me out, and I have to be up for the hospital at 12pm.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by citizenB
formatted for easier reading

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please only read this if you can provide useful help.

I have no idea if I can help, could I read it anyway to find out?

Edit: I read it anyway. You weren't falsely imprisoned as nothing was stopping you from getting out of your car and walking off. I would try not to worry about it for now. Get some sleep (if you haven't already).

Personally I can't see what you done wrong. Speak to your line-manager about what happened if you're worried there will be some sort of consequence.

From working as management in security at large scale and very sensitive sites, these security guards were doing what they have been tasked to do. Plain and simple. Yes maybe their demeanour could do with a make over but that may well had been because you raised their suspicions on wanting to get out so fast - seemingly unchecked. Depending on what it is you work with, I would have likely done the same thing. Being perfectly honest, if the site has high value items or dangerous goods I would have likely performed a vehicle search.

I would expect it is written into you contract or terms that you may be stopped and searched randomly or if there is any specific suspicion.

Sorry but no case.

grow up & move on - I think fits here.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My advice based on my experience:

First of all stick a sar in as a matter of urgency to get the cctv footage and, if recorded, the radio communication made by the security.

Secondly, as you haven't done anything wrong by using the second lane, write a complaint to the security manager and advise your own manager that you're doing so.

Be aware that she's got a witness, her colleague who most likely will back up her exaggerated story (she will probably say that you swore at her repeatedly).

Thirdly, do not admit for whatever reason of calling her stupid.

As said she will probably say that you were swearing like a sailor and if you admit of calling her stupid, they will probably think that you're downsizing your story.

In my experience in these cases is best to go on the attack rather than wait to be stood down and investigated.

If you submit a grievance against the security lady, because of the gigantic amount of paperwork, they will possibly drop everything and put this matter at rest (with your and her agreement).

Most importantly you need the cctv evidence showing that she signalled you to come forward (hoping they're clear enough).

Move on you were not falsely imprisoned your contract or work policy will state you can be stopped and randomly checked she could have done a car search with you stood out in the rain :) She took your details has probably passed them on so wait till Monday and see what they chuck your way.

Was that useful enough? If not, forgive me for reading. Oh, hang on I had to read it to see if I could give some useful advice. Hahahahaha Sorry :)

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

My advice based on my experience:

First of all stick a sar in as a matter of urgency to get the cctv footage and, if recorded, the radio communication made by the security.

Secondly, as you haven't done anything wrong by using the second lane, write a complaint to the security manager and advise your own manager that you're doing so.

Be aware that she's got a witness, her colleague who most likely will back up her exaggerated story (she will probably say that you swore at her repeatedly).

Thirdly, do not admit for whatever reason of calling her stupid.

As said she will probably say that you were swearing like a sailor and if you admit of calling her stupid, they will probably think that you're downsizing your story.

In my experience in these cases is best to go on the attack rather than wait to be stood down and investigated.

If you submit a grievance against the security lady, because of the gigantic amount of paperwork, they will possibly drop everything and put this matter at rest (with your and her agreement).

Most importantly you need the cctv evidence showing that she signalled you to come forward (hoping they're clear enough).

Or instead of all that. Just ignore it and carry on. As stated she was doing her job, albeit over zealously and nothing more came from it. Trying to get revenge over someone doing their job isnt really a good idea. Especially when you were merely inconvenienced for 5 mins.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I don't want to make light of your situation, this has echo's of 'Plebgate', I'm still trying to get my head around the waste of money and time on all sides.

In life 'yes' has one more character in it then 'no', but is much, much more difficult to say.

Sorry, let me elaborate further. She WILL take it further as she has my ID card, as king said, it is a case of going on the attack first in this case to make sure I am heard. They are so corrupt at my place it is unreal. We do have a Union, but they are not very good. I was not in a rush so much I could not wait a few mins in the right hand lane, and was prepared for a search as it is procedure. I just did not fancy waiting in a 30+ minute que of commercial trucks that are being paid to sit there and wait, so used the open right hand lane as we always do when exiting the site. False Imprisonment may be a tad overegged, I will put that down to me being tired and annoyed at that point after a 9 hour night shift :lol: As king said, this is now about attacking the inevitable storm and kangaroo court.

You know I posted this on MSE too. What a vile site that has become. It is the same horrible clique going around ruining every thread with abuse. Thank you for your useful replies. I am just a man seeking advice. The story is as above, there is no 'extra' I have left out. There would be no point lying, as there is a camera to back my version up.

Must also add they have a clipboard that says "STOP" on the back. She NEVER waved this at me, she just flailed her arms and then shouted something with her back turned, before turning towards me.

Also, under what law can I request the footage. I will need to take the proof in as they will try to brush me off.

As said, she will take this further and will exaggerate your actions.

My advice after seeing many great workers being falsely accused and disciplined:

Send a sar tomorrow via registered mail and, if available in your company privacy office, email as well.

Then, as soon as you walk in Monday, get your manager and make a formal complaint, even better, write the complaint and send it via email to your boss and her boss.

You can do what others said and rest on your laurels, but if you think about it, she'll have a witness on her side, you won't.

The cctv footage is the only way to back your story up.

In my experience, when you are accused of something and go on the attack, everyone backs off.

• Confused 1

Thanks I will start the ball rolling. Regarding witnesses, the other guard was not within earshot, he was in the office by the time me and the young lady spoke, so if she says she has a witness, CCTV will blow her out of the water. I'll keep that one up my sleeve. Is there any reason why they can refuse to hand me the footage or do they have to comply with that? They cannot use the 'business sensitive' trick on me can they?

The lane was open, the safety bollard was down, the barrier was up. She waved her arm backwards and forwards with her back to me. This is not a stop command.

She never showed me the stop sign.

I gave her my name, reg, and ID.

She told me "You won't have a job Monday"

After showing her a medical proof that I can leave the site early, she stood in front of my car.

I did not shout or swear at all, she was a woman.

I've been to court with a company once before during the recession, where rather than pay us redundancies, they tried to sack a load of us for trivial things, I won, and took 10k from them. They can trump up any charge they like, but the law says there has to be proof, of which there will be none to incriminate me.

Again, thanks. Rep addded

If you took this to court I can't see how you would get any damages as you haven't suffered any financial loss beyond a minor inconvenience. You can certainly complain to the relevant person about the security guard's attitude but I can't see there is any point in doing more than that.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you took this to court I can't see how you would get any damages as you haven't suffered any financial loss beyond a minor inconvenience. You can certainly complain to the relevant person about the security guard's attitude but I can't see there is any point in doing more than that.

I am not complaining, it is more the fact I am preparing for the incoming complaint

A POSSIBLE complaint. For all you know, nothing will happen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks I will start the ball rolling. Regarding witnesses, the other guard was not within earshot, he was in the office by the time me and the young lady spoke, so if she says she has a witness, CCTV will blow her out of the water. I'll keep that one up my sleeve. Is there any reason why they can refuse to hand me the footage or do they have to comply with that? They cannot use the 'business sensitive' trick on me can they?

No, they will have to disclose it and pixel out number plates and other people face.

Get your sar in tomorrow and be specific about time and location.

The fact that the other security guy was not within earshot is irrelevant because most likely he will swear he was two feet away from her and you.

Just let them dig their own grave and once you have the cctv footage you can push them in.

Don't believe any manager who tells you that everything is sorted.

I have an open thread about my friend being falsely accused and she made the mistake of letting her manager sorting it out; she's now become the target of every manager.

Don't let them think you're weak or they'll crush you.

This is based on my personal experience, some people get away by keeping their head down and accepting the false allegations.

The security woman has got his staff ID so she will do something with it.

Most likely complain and fabricate a lot of rubbish.

May do. Lets not jump the gun here. Especially by Sending the company a SAR when she might just be trying to brown nose and then got told to shut up. Wait for monday.

On Monday I would suggest you go in early & speak to your manager/boss.

Explain what happened as you have here. This way if the Security Guard does make a complaint then you have already made your manager/boss aware of the situation.

Then you can go from there, with what to do next.

The Security guard may not even say or do anything. It's an unknown factor right now.

This could all just be a storm in a teacup, which is why I suggest you don't go in all guns blazing.

Good luck!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I told him straight after to expect something on Monday. The place is that big (5k can be on site at a time), that a letter would get 'lost', and each area has its own set up 'rules'. I could type up the letter, and go prepared with the SAR. That alone might make them think, "*** this". That does happen, it's all bully boy tactics until someone stands up.

An example is a few weeks back a new union rep was called over to another line as there were complaints that a new girl was doing 'off line' work when she had only been here 3 months, and had not done any 'on-line time'. The new union rep asked her who she knew to get a cushy job so soon. She reeled off a load of top managers. Next day, she was 'advised' to put in a grievance by her mate the manager, 4 pages long on how he had 'abused' her, she was an ex PCSO. We all laughed, including our manager, as he is the most laid back man you could ever meet. She had 7 'witnesses', none of them had names. For the weeks after managers minions where going up to him telling him to "just give an apology and it will all be over, you will be in trouble if it goes further, you don;t want that"......This went on every day for 2 weeks. I told him to tell the managers approaching him they are harassing him, and he will take it further if they approach him again. Also, who are the 7, and why were they not on their jobs? (Time could blow their alibi if the track was running) It got 'swept under the carpet'

Edited by honeybee13
Swearing removed.

Frankly your over blown response to this leads me to believe you may have been very rude to the security guard. Think about how your action in one situation may infer what you did in another. You currently present as someone with no sense of proportion.

Also who cares if another site's users want to pop by? It's the internet. People move around it.

• Haha 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Personally I wouldn't send a SAR. It will come across as petty in a situation like this and it will rub people up the wrong way. You also wouldn't get the results of the SAR for some time as the time for compliance is quite long.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I told him straight after to expect something on Monday. The place is that big (5k can be on site at a time), that a letter would get 'lost', and each area has its own set up 'rules'. I could type up the letter, and go prepared with the SAR. That alone might make them think, "feck this". That does happen, it's all bully boy tactics until someone stands up.

An example is a few weeks back a new union rep was called over to another line as there were complaints that a new girl was doing 'off line' work when she had only been here 3 months, and had not done any 'on-line time'. The new union rep asked her who she knew to get a cushy job so soon. She reeled off a load of top managers. Next day, she was 'advised' to put in a grievance by her mate the manager, 4 pages long on how he had 'abused' her, she was an ex PCSO. We all laughed, including our manager, as he is the most laid back man you could ever meet. She had 7 'witnesses', none of them had names. For the weeks after managers minions where going up to him telling him to "just give an apology and it will all be over, you will be in trouble if it goes further, you don;t want that"......This went on every day for 2 weeks. I told him to tell the managers approaching him they are harassing him, and he will take it further if they approach him again. Also, who are the 7, and why were they not on their jobs? (Time could blow their alibi if the track was running) It got 'swept under the carpet'

Sounds pretty much like "bully boy" tactic, a group of men getting a union rep to go and have a word with a new girl because she is doing the job she has been told to do.

If the blokes have a problem then by all means get the union involved but the rep should have talked to the management who assigned her the job, not gone and asked her sarcastic questions. Having him go up to her after probably being seen conferring with the group of blokes who are standing there watching could seen as quite intimidating.

What plant are you at? I was assuming Halewood as AFAIK employee parking at Castle Brom and Solihull is off site, but your user name (carlbcfc)confuses matters. Can't say my, or anyone I know at work, experience with management bares any resemblance to your slightly paranoid seeming accusations.

Oh, and what happened to the MSE thread? :wink:

The MSE thread was a waste of time so got binned. Useless people trying to impress each other on the internet. Boring & sad !

Feel free to find me and come and have a chat chickrick, most will know me if you find my name out. I am not a hard man to find, and yes I am Blues... ;-)

I am guessing you are not a track-rat?

Whoa there!

Bully boy tactics? Standing up to what exactly?

We are talking about an incident that as I suggested earlier was "a storm in a teacup".

As yet no one knows "if" the Security guard has actually said or done anything at this point.

This situation from where im sat, has an easy fix, which is instead of going to speak to your manager/boss first. Maybe you should go & apologise to the Security person involved & just let it go!

No need for a SAR, no bully boy thoughts or tactics etc & certainly no need for this to go any further than it needs too.

Move on from it, put it down to experience & what to/not do in future!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks