Caught using sister's discounted oyster card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help Please,

Was caught on 3rd of October with my sister in law discounted oyster card , at the time i didn't know it was discounted card. she wasn't using it anymore cause they issued her freedom bus pass.

The day i borrowed the card, i couldn't find my card which is discounted as well from the job center so i had to borrow. when i explained to the inspector he didn't believe me and took my details anyway. 4 weeks later i received a letter to explain what happen and replied with sincere apology followed the explanation and told them that am unemployed. Today i received a letter to appear in court 2 months from today.

I have 3 options

1.Guilty - Don't attend the court

2. Guilty - Attend the court

3. Not Guilty - Intend to call witness

What should i do? Do i need legal representation?

Will i get criminal record for this?

Do i call tfl or write to them to settle the case?

Any advice and information is appreciated.

Hi sniper101

Welcome to CAG

Firstly calm down. Even though you have your own discounted card, it doesn't entitle you to use your sisters card. You could get a Criminal Record but at the moment you need to try and get an out of court settlement. You need to write to TFL again.

How many times did you use your sisters discounted card? You don't need legal representation at the moment.

Also you need go to your local underground station and obtain a print out of your travel history. You need that to prove that you have a history of payment to TFL and this is an isolated incident. This is very important.

Hi sniper101

Welcome to CAG

Firstly calm down. Even though you have your own discounted card, it doesn't entitle you to use your sisters card. You could get a Criminal Record but at the moment you need to try and get an out of court settlement. You need to write to TFL again.

How many times did you use your sisters discounted card? You don't need legal representation at the moment.

Also you need go to your local station and obtain a print out of your travel history. You need that to prove that you have a histroy of payment to TFL and this is an isolated incident. This is very important.

Use it once. unlucky i guess

Get hold of that, then we can advise you on writing a letter with your mitigating circumstances.

I got the history of my oyster card printed out...also have few receipts.

Any ideas on mitigating circumstances for tfl or the court?

Hi sniper101

You can now consider writing to the company as you have the reference number, in your letter quote the Ref Number on the letter. An example of a letter can be found in post no.18 in the link below. Amend it accordingly so you quote the correct railway regulation in the letter and that applies to your case, that will be stated in the letter you received from TFL. Don't copy the letter.link3.gifYour letter needs to have more substance and be personalized to your particular case. Convey that you regret your actions and are apologetic as you do in your initial post. Also send photocopies of your previous season ticket purchases as proof that you pay and abide by railway regulations, this is very important. Also any other mitigating cirumstances, i.e. that you are unemployed. Post the letter up on this thread before you send it off for input.

Send it Recorded Delivery.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk...ly-travel-card

I got the history of my oyster card printed out...also have few receipts.

Any ideas on mitigating circumstances for tfl or the court?