NICs / JSA / ESA and State Pension

essexmat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies for asking such a stupid question but navigating the GOV websites and paperwork has confused me and I am normally good at this sort of thing.

I don't know why but today I started worrying about my NICs for state pension even though I am only 40 years old. I am worrying about the qualifying years and having enough credit to claim a full state pension.

OK, to be brief:

• I worked from 18-38 and paid full NI and tax in my job in London so have around 19-20 qualifying years.
  • In Feb 2013 I claimed JSA after being made redundant and was on that for 18 months including my 6 months contribution based, this also included my time at INGEUS up to August 2014
  • From August 2014 I have been on assessment phase ESA (is that 1 year contributions based even after claiming JSA?) and currently awaiting my assessment (which I will fail as in not get enough points so will no doubt be back on JSA and INGEUS soon after)
  • Although not relevant (I don't think I also get housing benefit)

Now, whilst on my JSA and ESA (both C and IB) have I been accumalting credits towards my state pension or would they have stopped atany point so god forbid I struggle for many more years to get a job will I find myself at state pension age with a vastly reduced pension as I think it is 35 qualifying years? As stated, I have built up around 19-20 years to date.

Probably panicking well ahead of time but it would be good to know where I stand and also if there is anyone I can contact directly to get a statement.

Many thanks in advance

Reassuring to know, many thanks. So whilst on JSA and ESA (both C and IB) are am being credited in full towards my state pension? My worry was over qualifying years as I only have 19-20 instead of the 35 (I think)

It seems you only need 10 qualifying years anyway?

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension

1. Overview

The new State Pension will be a regular payment from the government that you can claim if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016.

You’ll be able to get the new State Pension if you’re eligible and:

• a man born on or after 6 April 1951
  • a woman born on or after 6 April 1953

The new State Pension will replace the current State Pension scheme. You’ll get your State Pension under the current scheme if you reach State Pension age before 6 April 2016.

You can still get a State Pension if you have other income like a personal pension or a workplace pension.

How much you can get

The full new State Pension will be no less than £148.40 per week. The actual amount will be set in autumn 2015.

Your National Insurance record is used to calculate your new State Pension.

You’ll usually need 10 qualifying years to get any new State Pension.

The amount you get can be higher or lower depending on your National Insurance record. It will only be higher if you have over a certain amount of Additional State Pension.

You may have to pay tax on your State Pension.

you start getting qualifying years at the start of the tax year in which you turn 16, and you finish at the end of the tax year before you reach state pension age. So if you have a full set upto now you should have 24 or 25 years.

you can sign up to view your pension online which is always handy to keep track if dwp are paying your credits it also tell you how much serps and s2p you have built up.

https://secure.thepensionservice.gov.uk/statepensionforecast/

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping

I signed up for an e-pension statement and got my gateway confirmation and passcode in the post and managed to print an on line statement.

Basic state pension is £113.10 and I have 24 qualifying years at present (I am 40) and they worked it out to £90.48pw which I guess is right at the moment as it is 1/30 calculation of £113.10 x 24. I also noted on my statement that I have something called graduated retirement benefit of £32.44pw bringing the total (to date) £122.94pw

I know pensions are changing and you need, I think, 30 years so will my ESA/JSA contribute my credits for the 6 years minimum I need and thus increase my state pension and other stuff through the years? Also, what exactly is pension credit? I know my Father worked until he got ill up to the age of around 46 (so 30 years) and he gets around £191pw pension and pension credit (he also gets DLA care and mobility both at the highest rate)

Many thanks

Yes, while you are on ESA or JSA class 1 NI contributions are credited to you, and these do count towards your State Retirement Pension (SRP). So any year spent entirely on one or other of the benefits, or a combination of both, will count as a qualifying year. Also, a year spent partly working and partly on benefits will count in many (most?) cases. NI conts from benefits are counted weekly, so as an example, say you are on benefits for 20 weeks in a year and working for the other 32, that year will count provided your earnings from work (during the period you are working) are over the weekly NI Lower Earnings Limit which changes each year but is currently about £120 or so before tax.

Men are also credited with a full year of NI contributions for each year they are older than the retirement age for women but younger than the retirement age for men. This applies whether the man is working, claiming benefits, or neither. Men in this situation do not pay NI on earnings from employment.

State Pension Credit is a means tested benefit paid to those over retirement age who have less money coming in from other sources (occupational pension, state pension, employment) than the law says they need to live on. It is not based on NI contributions, but on household income - you could think of it like JSA(IB) or ESA(IR).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes, while you are on ESA or JSA class 1 NI contributions are credited to you, and these do count towards your State Retirement Pension (SRP). So any year spent entirely on one or other of the benefits, or a combination of both, will count as a qualifying year. Also, a year spent partly working and partly on benefits will count in many (most?) cases. NI conts from benefits are counted weekly, so as an example, say you are on benefits for 20 weeks in a year and working for the other 32, that year will count provided your earnings from work (during the period you are working) are over the weekly NI Lower Earnings Limit which changes each year but is currently about £120 or so before tax.

Men are also credited with a full year of NI contributions for each year they are older than the retirement age for women but younger than the retirement age for men. This applies whether the man is working, claiming benefits, or neither. Men in this situation do not pay NI on earnings from employment.

State Pension Credit is a means tested benefit paid to those over retirement age who have less money coming in from other sources (occupational pension, state pension, employment) than the law says they need to live on. It is not based on NI contributions, but on household income - you could think of it like JSA(IB) or ESA(IR).

Excellent, brilliant reply and very helpful - thanks!