Poor Quality Paintwork on Volkswagen Golf

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I wanted to get some feedback from people as i feel like i want to take action against Volkswagen. My mum purchased an ex demo car from Shepherds Volkswagen in Bishops Stortford (now managed by the Vindis franchise). It came with a three your warranty and the car has literally just passed it's warranty by about eight months.

In the last few months the car paintwork is bubbling. Back panels, side panels, roof etc. VW have acknowledged this is a problem and offered to contribute half of the repair bill. They have also acknowledged through their dealers that "something was done to the car" (ie it was resprayed) before they sold it to my mum. They have even offered to discount a new car in acknowledgement that it is poorly done.

My question is that if the work is that poor and job was done by a dealer then surely they should put this right fully?

Who buys a car where the paint bubbles, fractures and peels away within four years? No one!

And why do people buy Volkwwagens - because they are allegedly well built and manufactured.

I've done a lot of reading online and this seems to be a known poor quality area for VW.

I am so angry that my mum has purchased a car from a reputable manufacturer, thinking it will last her and now they know it's a problem, only want to cover half of it.

Please can you let me know any thoughts on how i can get this sorted or take it further.

Nick

Hi nwmiller80

Welcome to CAG

How was the car paid for? Credit Card, finance etc

That's clearly an inherent fault with the car which pre-dated your mum's purchase of the car.

The dealer knew the work had been carried out.

Have a read of the following Guidance for Dealers:-

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/view/NCC094699

Is it possible to post some pics of the paintwork to determine what is wrong.

About 5 years ago at one of VW's factories/transport compounds they suffered a prolonged hail storm which damaged the paint on hundreds of cars, some actually being written off from memory. Wouldn't mind betting this might be one of the ones that needed repairing.

If you can get the build date this might explain it. VW will play hard ball but can and will keel over if you know how to play it. Service record needs to be up to date as well preferably with VW.

When you initially deal with VW, you don't actually talk to VW but a screening co.

You should write to the head honcho Martin Winterkorn in Wolfsburg. You can get his e mail from VW's annual report in Germany. It lists all the directors emails.

Goofle Volkswagen AG and you'll find it there.

Vw paint is guaranteed 12 years against perforation, but only 3 against rust and other defects.

As suggested, go to the top and most likely you will get the car resprayed for free.

Anyway, the vw dealer should have told yourmum that the car had been resprayed, so they're equally at fault.

Nick,

Can you clarify; you say that the car has been resprayed, was this by the VW or the garage?

The car was purchased from shepherds in bishops stortford with a full warranty and 11k miles on the clock. We didn't know it had been re sprayed until the damage started to occur recently and the paintwork was assessed. Because the problem is occurring all over the car we know the whole car has been done. Shepherds vw in bishop stortford sold IT knowing this.

Is there anything we can do?