Baumatic dryer 5 year part warranty --delay with parts

amomarie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I think Im in a catch 22 ??

My intigrated tumble dryer broke after 4 years 8 months. That was two weeks ago

In a panic I rang and agreed to pay Domestic & General £13.99 a month for a service warranty to get the dryer fixed. I knew the timer was broke and that the thermostat was broke because the machine worked but blowed cold air. I explain both faultclearly to the operator and she said she would arrange for an engineer to visit.

Engineer arrived with no parts and said hed have to order them.

A week later Domestic & General said that the thermostat is not in stock at the Italian warehouse and they dont know when it will be in stock. The estimated earliest date is January 2015 but nothing definate. It could be anytime. She agreed to cancel the contract because they didnt know when they could fix the dryer

I re read all the dryer purchase documents and realised I had an extended 5 year warranty for the part only (NO LABOUR) with Baumatic. After numerous telephone calls, I spoke to Hoover Candy (they took over Baumatic in 2013).

I asked for the parts but they havent got them in stock and are waiting for them from Italy and again there are none in the Italian warehouse --earliest estimate time that they may arrive is end of December/January but this is only and estimate

They wont let me have the parts (when they arrive )unless I pay £119 for their engineer to install them. The warrarnty says the parts should be fitted by a "Baumatic engineer"

I really feel annoyed at the time I have spent on the phone with D&G and Hoover Candy and trapped by a useless "parts warranty" waiting with no definate date when the dryer can be fixed

My question is

1. how long am I expected to wait for the parts before they are in breach of their warranty? Even if they do arrive at the end of December or early January that will be 5 - 6 weeks
  2. Is there anything I can do to avoid the £119 Baumatic engineer payment? I did ask them to send me the parts when they come in and I will get a local engineer (local engineer charges just £45) but they said I would have to pay £89 for the parts if I didnt use their engineer.

A new machine costs around £240 ish with free fitting from a local supplier so I think that is what I will do as I really need a dryer in this winter rainy weather.

Also the part reference numbers they have given me dont seem to exist per "google"

Sorry this message is so long but I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this. Or any possible solutions? advice?

I am pretty resigned to buying a new integrated dryer but money is a little tight with Christmas in two weeks:sad:

What is the exact wording in the service warranty in respect of the requirement that the work is carried out by an authorised engineer?

Another thing you need to be careful of is the cancellation of your policy with Domestic & General.

You have done all of this on the telephone and of course I'm quite certain that you haven't recorded anything. It is entirely possible that they haven't cancelled your policy and that later on they would deny having cancelled it and you find yourself paying out the regular policy payment and unable to cancel.

I would suggest very urgently that you write to domestic and general and confirm your cancellation telephone call in writing – and say that the cancellation is because they have agreed that they are unable to find the part or to give you any date for supplying the part.

Keep an eye on your bank account and the direct debit. I would recommend that you don't simply go out and cancel the direct debit because if they haven't cancelled the policy they will then turn on you. If it turns out that they haven't cancelled the policy then you need to come back here.

I have to say that I think five or so years is probably about the limit for the most integrated washer/tumble dryers. That kind of equipment is very expensive to use and although space is normally the big consideration, it is generally much more effective to have a separate tumble dryer so that when something goes wrong it is only in one appliance and not both. Separate tumble dryers tend to last longer – in my experience

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. I have spent what seems like days on the phone with Domestic & General and various people from Hoover Candy.

It is just a tumble dryer that is integrated into my fitted kitchen(not a washer dryer). I appreciate appliances dont last long these days

Domestic & Gen(D&G) have taken £13.99 out of my bank on 15/12/15 and on 15/12/15 (Yesterday) I recieved thier letter for the 12 month warranty from D&G

I was warned by the woman (D&G) on the phone to expect this warranty letter and that a DD £13.99 may be taken out of my bank because the "process" had started and to contact them for a refund it this happened.

My gripe is the the 5 year free parts is not really free if 1) they cant get the parts and 2) you have to use thier engineers who charge £119 to get the parts or have a D&G policy which costs £167.88 a year.

I was reluctantly prepared to pay the £13.99 per month to D&G (£167.88 pa) even though it is a lot of money because I thought they would fix the dryer quickly.

But D&G they dont know for sure when they are going to get the part from Italy. I could be waiting for months. D& G accepted there was an open ended delay on parts and could only give me an estimated date (end of December/Jan 15) when they may arrive in the UK, but there was no guarantee the parts would arrive. I very much doubt that the Italians are going to stop partying over Xmas/New Year to manufacture my heater element

I will write to them today and recap my telephone conversation with D&G and ask for my £13.99 back and ask them to ensure they have cancelled the warranty becasue they cannot give me a definate date when the part will be in the UK and when they can fix my machine

The guarantee says --" --Baumatic will supply, free of charge, the parts required to repair the appliance, if fitted by a Baumatic engineer, for any defect due to faulty materials---within 5 years from date of purchase"

As Baumatic was taken over by Hoover Candy then I assume the warranty now means "fitted by a Hoover Candy engineer"

I guess, I have just been stupid and too trusting agreeing to the D&G warranty but I was desparate (and still am) to get the dryer fixed. I assumed they would have the parts for my dryer because I gave all the information on the fault. Had I known they didnt have the parts in the UK and they didnt know when the parts would arrive in the UK, I certainly wouldnt have agreed to the warranty.

I now think I have no choice but to buy another dryer

Do you think I will now have trouble getting the D&G warranty cancelled ???:?: I cannot afford to buy a new dryer and pay for a warranty for my old dryer that they cannot fix