Work trying to get rid of me after knee op. *Settled Out Of Tribunal*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well canned with medical dismissal and the union suggested I pursue a tribunal. I sent of the legal-pack noting all the details, emails, poorly constructed rebuttals from OH, even the fact you cannot have a role where you're sat down for 75% of the shift and not lift 5Kg. All to no avail, the unions legal team basically quoted the OH stuff saying 'protecting the business' and 'its operational demands which will take a toll on my knee'. So Im basically left with no job, a 'medically dismissed' reference and no recourse to pursue :(

How do they accommodate the people already employed with bad knees? Is everyone who has time off destined for the sack? Im now at a loss as for what to do?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's rare for a union to fund a tribunal case unless there is some kind of public interest aspect to it.

I would suggest contacting a local community law centre or the CAB for private advice as to whether you have a case.

Keep an eye on the time line and ensure you file for early conciliation via ACAS in good time should you believe you have.

Thanks Pusillanimous !

I have the forms from ACAS, but as for advice, Im short on that as the lawyers generally want £200 per hour, so at this time I don't want to go 'full steam'. Im aware of the time line, it comes to an end 30/3/15, as all to do. I think I get a month added when ACAS get involved.

Im not sure about what to settle for? Is it time lost and wages (£35k+) or just time after my sick pay ran out or a complete 'loss of earnings and defamation' for giving me a medical discharge with little evidence.

You would need to get proper advice, as I know little about all the facts.

My "armchair" advice is from here it looks like unfair dismissal by reason of disabilty (EqA). You need to mention how much compensation you expect, so spell out all the earnings you believe you've lost and remember to state compensation for injury to feelings, to be determined by the tribunal.

Don't worry too much about the earnings claim, as if you win, you can adjust it accordingly, anyway, at the compensation hearing.

Downside is cost of the tribunal claim. Upside, you can claim it back if you win.

Disability is hard to win, so be prepared to pay out for an expert witness.

Do your ex-employers accept you are disabled?

Read their reasons for dismissal very carefully to see if they have a legal case for it.

Try local charity lawyers for initial free opinion.

Thanks Pusillanimous

I know not to take the advice 'verbatim' ,its just throwing me a pointer in the right direction. I said to the guy at ACAS that its a lots of very nuanced information I'd be forgetting in six months time when this is all over :)

Finding an initial starting point is a fine art. Your help is greatly appreciated and I'd never be daft enough to think that it was nay more than a little help from some kind soul. I'll begin my journey

• 1 month later...

Well, after consulting a few 'free' lawyers. They said I do not have a case. They admit, I've been treated incredibly shoddily, but they've covered themselves with the process.

I cannot challenge the OH's assessment of the situation ass that's not part of the process. I did say 'she could say I have to walk around wit ha ball on my head and that wouldn't be challenged?' To which it was a 'medical professionals' opinion.

I pointed out the contrary evidence from the consultant, the 2 MRI's 18 months apart showing no deterioration, the doctors note and the pension company being happy for me return.

This means nothing as its their 'opinion' is based on the jobs role :( Ive lost a well paid job, I have a marker on my CV saying 'medically discharged' and there's nothing wrong with me . It stinks. Nearly six years down the drain .

I know someone who was turned down by the union solicitors and various commercial and charity ones. They took out a claim anyway...and won.

It depends how strongly you feel about it. What you would need is your own expert witness. This would cost at least £600.

Well, after consulting a few 'free' lawyers. They said I do not have a case. They admit, I've been treated incredibly shoddily, but they've covered themselves with the process.

I cannot challenge the OH's assessment of the situation ass that's not part of the process. I did say 'she could say I have to walk around wit ha ball on my head and that wouldn't be challenged?' To which it was a 'medical professionals' opinion.

I pointed out the contrary evidence from the consultant, the 2 MRI's 18 months apart showing no deterioration, the doctors note and the pension company being happy for me return.

This means nothing as its their 'opinion' is based on the jobs role :( Ive lost a well paid job, I have a marker on my CV saying 'medically discharged' and there's nothing wrong with me . It stinks. Nearly six years down the drain .

The problem you may have is that a lawyers opinion usually mirrors the unbiased opinion of an independent judge - immoral or not.

The problem you may have is that a lawyers opinion usually mirrors the unbiased opinion of an independent judge - immoral or not.

Where you have a case represented on both sides, fully 50% of those lawyers obviously did not mirror the judges, biased or not. Some 10% - 20% of verdicts going to appeal get overturned or sent back, so judges are not infallible, either.

The other factor, is employment lawyers often only have the employer's reasoning to go on (= half the picture). Some just assume the employer must be right.

Most lawyers are not up to the standards of a judge anyway, who are trained barristers.

Where you have a case represented on both sides, fully 50% of those lawyers obviously did not mirror the judges, biased or not. Some 10% - 20% of verdicts going to appeal get overturned or sent back, so judges are not infallible, either.

The other factor, is employment lawyers often only have the employer's reasoning to go on (= half the picture). Some just assume the employer must be right.

Most lawyers are not up to the standards of a judge anyway, who are trained barristers.

Not necessarily. Lawyers do still take on cases that they know are more likely to lose than win, as long as the clients are aware of the risk. And when you represent respondents, it can still end up in a tribunal because the claimant won't settle, not because you believe they are going to win.

A friend of mine decades ago had a heart attack & whilst in hospital after a week had a visit from the company and told him his job is no longer there, in view of his condition as he would not be able to work again, = I got the Union to take up the case and why they bothered to continue arguing I do not know.

= His new job was?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? A Court Usher, cost them max also I lost my job 6 months later with the flimsy excuse, cost them max as well I dealt with my own case thru Tribunals.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

It is a minefield, as I have heard of ppl spending £50K on a tribunal and of lawyers (in the view of the claimant!) bleeding the insurance money dry, and then dropping the claimant.

To get back on topic, surely it cannot be the case that the OH view is infallible and set in stone. All opinions even professional ones, must be open to appeal or challenge.

It might be useful for the OP if there is some kind of case law in which an OH report was successfully challenged. Bearing in mind, they a paid by the employer to write up the report, they will have a vested interest in writing what the employer wants them to write.

It is a minefield, as I have heard of ppl spending £50K on a tribunal and of lawyers (in the view of the claimant!) bleeding the insurance money dry, and then dropping the claimant.

To get back on topic, surely it cannot be the case that the OH view is infallible and set in stone. All opinions even professional ones, must be open to appeal or challenge.

It might be useful for the OP if there is some kind of case law in which an OH report was successfully challenged. Bearing in mind, they a paid by the employer to write up the report, they will have a vested interest in writing what the employer wants them to write.

To that end, it's usually sensible to ask for a copy of the instruction letter as part of the disclosure process. That way, you can potentially challenge the report on the grounds of bias.

The outcome so far on this case makes me feel a little uneasy. It certainly doesn't feel right and needs exploring.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You should be able to do the Tribunal bit yourself I did, the company concerned caved in at the last minute as they new they did not have a case, as long as you have your facts correct! even Job Centre tried it on and stated they are not paying me the time in between sacked and case, so I took them as well to tribunal,, 1st they offered me 50% I said no! case continued and I won (Suppose to have) the outcome was Yes you won BUT under Regulation 1,2,3,4,5,.6,7,8 we do not pay you Tribunal amount, = 50%, Oh! if I did not agree I could take them to a Tribunal>????? we have just come from One. That is the dirty Government way of withholding Public Funds unless of course they want them,

This was late 80s.

Im seeing the knee surgeon tomorrow for a follow up. I can ask him to write a contrary letter challenging the decision for tribunal purposes.

I was sacked on the grounds of 'capability' ,the OH report set ridiculous parameters which couldnt be for filled in any role. Thus, they had recourse to sack me. My knee has healed, the osteopath said he'd put 'no restrictions ' on my return to work .The employer has just used the knee repair to get rid of me.

I'll explore more avenues tomorrow once I've had a chat with osteo. I have till 30/4/15 to file, so trying to garner as much supporting info as I can. I've explored many 'case file law' suits and it seems I do have a case. The union only work on a 70% chance of success ,so it might be worth me filing myself, its only £160.

you are getting medical evidence *after* your hearing?

You had nothing on the day saying you were fit for work?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

you are getting medical evidence *after* your hearing?

You had nothing on the day saying you were fit for work?

I was discharged from the pension companies pay scheme, they were happy to let me go back to work.

I had a 'Fit To Work' note from my GP, he examined me and was happy to let me go back to work.

I had a letter from the consultant surgeon stating he'd put 'no restrictions ' on my return to work

......so this is just to underline the point at the tribunal.

You won't need it yet, but start researching a possible expert witness. Perhaps your consultant? It needs to be somebody willing to withstand cross examination.

In disability cases a simple medical report won't be enough.

The onus will be on you to know this.

You won't need it yet, but start researching a possible expert witness. Perhaps your consultant? It needs to be somebody willing to withstand cross examination.

In disability cases a simple medical report won't be enough.

The onus will be on you to know this.

Hi Pusillanimous,

I've looked into it, I have an expert witness who is very willing to give his expert opinion (he stated their assessment was 'absolute rubbish' ) I just cant afford to do it. I've got a quote of £3k for the whole thing, plus ,if I lose, they can claim cost from me. Bit crest fallen :(

They can only claim costs if you were unreasonable in bringing the case.

£3K is high. It's such a shame when you've been treated so unfairly.

Thanks Pusillanimous. It 'times out' in a week. Im just going to have to leave it there. :(

the other area I found was Employment exchange;- refused to pay me back pay as the employer backed out at the last minute days before Tribunal hearing, and admitted they did not have a case for unfair dismissal:- asked if I wanted to go back with them = I said No after all this fuss in the last 6 MONTHS, so they paid out Max £5,000 in those days, then I was told by a Barrister oh! dear forgot to ask for our fees from them - too late now, so I lost out as taken from the funds before I got them.

Then low and behold I went to tribunal with job centre for back pay and at the beginning of the case the Job Centre offered half of entitlement, I said no, so the case went ahead = end result they LOST, and had to pay me in full??? great result>??NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Under section this that and the other minus this & that, and guess what I lost out big time only got £145.88 - when I worked it out should of been £580.90+, and If I did not agree I could take it to a Tribunal (Hang on we just came from it), See what happens!

• 4 months later...

Well, I continued and they made an offer , which was refused. Its still to go to trial, early next year, but Im getting help and hopefully, it will resolve sooner rather than later.