A moment of impulse which left me with a £410 bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was employed by a shop a few months ago and

I made the foolish mistake of taking money from the till.

I was caught, owned up to it straight away and was dismissed.

I agreed to pay back the money.

Two months later (today),

I received a letter from Retail Loss Prevention asking for civil recovery.

They list the money I took, which I am more than willing to pay back, but are also billing me £275!!!

under "Contributing towards the cost of the time investigating, detecting

and dealing with the matter including administrative and security equipment costs"

Can they really bill me this much when I owned up to my manager the second she asked why my till was down?

It's not as if they rigged cameras specially for the act of catching me!

RichPorter

Hi there.

Forget RLP.....remove them from the equation altogether.

Now to the proper part.....you offered to pay back the money which you took (your admission). Have you paid that money back?

You say you offered to repay the money....what was your employer's response?

Can ypu give more details on the situation between you and your employer please?

Whatever you do, please do not engage, entertain or otherwise get involved with RLP...they have no legal standing, cannot take you to court, cannot charge you with anything, cannot bill you for anything or, very simply put, cannot do anything to you whatsoever. They are a cowboy outfit who prey on those who are vulnerable and do not know better and should have been closed down by the authorities years ago.

They have been humiliated many times in the courts, in parliament and on various on-line platforms so many times it beggars belief that they still carry on when they are actually a laughing stock.

And yes they do monitor these forums and others so they know what they are and how they are viewed but still they try and maintain that they are some credible force of some kind.... the only credible force that they have is the ability to make people chuckle with their pathetic attempts to get money out of people.

Have you paid that money back? -

At the end of the month when I got paid,

I text my manager and she said that she'd get back to me.

A week after, she text me and said that their asset protection department will be dealing with it.

I heard nothing for a month, until today.

You say you offered to repay the money..

..what was your employer's response?

- She accepted my offer, and we agreed that I would pay the money back at the next payday

Can ypu give more details on the situation between you and your employer please?

- I was banned from the store I worked in,

I have had no communication,

they owe me holiday money (I think).

Me and my manager passed each other in the street a few months back, and we had a chat.

When she gave me the letter saying I was being dismissed,

I was told that I was an excellent member of staff and it was a great shame because I would've gone far in the company.

(I was given a second chance by a lovely supermarket where I love the job and aren't subjected to illegal 5:30am starts with an 11hr shift.

The till isn't open longer than needs be and the hands don't go further in than needed)

OK thanks.

So you want to repay the money. If that is the case then do it but do it directly with the store. Keep it between you and a member of store management who are aware of what has happened. Get them to sign for the money when you pay it over to them.

Store management should not refuse this, if they do then make notes of any meeting you may have to get this money paid over.

But please, please, please do not engage with RLP in any way, shape or form.

RLP have no authority , no matter what they or the store says. If you have the cash, go to the store or send in a cheque to the company. Do NOT pay RLP a penny and do NOT converse with them. They will of course send multiple letters detailing various threats, but thats all they are. Empty, pureile, childish threats. Just like a school bully would say.

Ignore them completely and deal direct with the company. If the company still say to deal with RLP, then ignore both as they obviously dont want the money back.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The company should have stopped it out of your final salary with your agreement or send you a notice of what they are going to claim. It wont include any of the stuff mentioned in RLP's letter because 1) they cant and 2) they wont be wasting time making up list of non-existent losses.

Gents,

In the letter I am about to send to the asset protection woman, is it best to acknowledge that RLP have been in contact or just ignore their contact and say that because I haven't heard from you, I enclose a cheque to the value. Also, should I bring up the holiday money not yet paid?

Hi

I wouldn't even contemplate bringing RLP into the equation as the store will have no direct knowledge of what RLP will be up to.

You are dealing with the store, as you should and although this payment is for your acts, it is still worth asking about any holiday pay owing and (if you haven't had it yet) a P45

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I haven't had a P45, but my new employer have got all of the details they needed after a nice phonecall I had with HMRC

How does this sound;

Dear [ASSET PROTECTION],

Following my conversation I had with my former store manager, [NAME] on the 6th November, I was informed that my case for which I was dismissed over theft of cash was being passed over you in order for it to be ‘handled in the proper way’. This conversation occurred over a month ago, and I am yet to hear from you regarding the case and any potential progression.

As I am keen to have this dealt with as soon as possible, I am enclosing a cheque for the value of £140 as this is the money owed to the company by myself, which I agreed to pay back to [MANAGERS] in the meeting, and informed the police constables which attended the premises was the arrangement agreed upon by myself and [MANAGERS].

Please also note that I have not yet been paid for the holiday I have accrued, which I calculate to be to the value of 14 hours as stated in my contract, and so I expect to be remunerated the amount of £94.50. Please could this be actioned or passed to the correct department as a matter of urgency.

Please do not hesitate to call me on [REDACTED] or email me at [REDACTED]

Regards

[REDACTED]

Make sure you send it recorded delivery

get proof of postage AND reciept and KEEP THEM

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Don't send them anything at all. Theres no reason to.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Rich,

I was caught way back in March 2014. They have no received a PENNY off of me yet and NEVER WILL! They sent me letters every month that my gerbils shredded for me ;) and now Dec they hav funny enough gone all quiet on me since Oct!

So HOPE that is the end of them. Bascially they want to scare the hell out of u to pay up! DON'T!!!

But please learn like I have and NEVER DO IT AGAIN! :/

• Haha 1

RLP are a con PLEASE DON'T PAY THEM TO DO MORE! IGNORE ALL LETTERS AND CALLS! :)

Rich,

I was caught way back in March 2014. They have no received a PENNY off of me yet and NEVER WILL! They sent me letters every month that my gerbils shredded for me ;) and now Dec they hav funny enough gone all quiet on me since Oct!

So HOPE that is the end of them. Bascially they want to scare the hell out of u to pay up! DON'T!!!

But please learn like I have and NEVER DO IT AGAIN! :/

Couldn't agree more. Once bitten etc. I am fairly sure that the shock to a first timer results in not doing it again but I am not sure that using the letters as hamster/gerbil bedding is the right use for them.

Now toilet paper!!!!:-)

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

• 4 weeks later...

An update to my previous thread as I didn't want to bump it

Chaps,

I sent of the letter with the cheque in it today to my former employer. I took a copy of the letter and cheque. I also sent it 2nd Class Signed for and have a certificate of posting. As soon as the money leaves my account, I will get a copy of my bank statement for my records and if they try to deny it. I will also take a copy of the signature from the Royal Mail website as further proof of delivery.

Today, I also got another letter from RLP with the general gist of it being that I haven't been in contact. I have a further 14 days to get in contact or they'll tell my former employer that they are now in a position to instigate 'proceedings'.

They also refer me to the Practice Direction for Pre-Action Conduct and the Civil Procedure Rules which encourage parties to attempt to settle any dispute outside of court proceedings (I wonder why!!)

Furthermore, they say that the information they hold may be passed to police or other crime initiatives in the interest of preventing and detecting crime and may be available to members of a closed user group for employment screening. They do kindly let me know that the employment screening can only occur with my prior consent

Long and short of it is do these threats have any standing or are they just wasting trees at this point and do I have anything to worry about now that the cheque is in the postal system?

An update to my previous thread as I didn't want to bump it

Today, I also got another letter from RLP with the general gist of it being that I haven't been in contact. I have a further 14 days to get in contact or they'll tell my former employer that they are now in a position to instigate 'proceedings'.

They also refer me to the Practice Direction for Pre-Action Conduct and the Civil Procedure Rules which encourage parties to attempt to settle any dispute outside of court proceedings (I wonder why!!)

Furthermore, they say that the information they hold may be passed to police or other crime initiatives in the interest of preventing and detecting crime and may be available to members of a closed user group for employment screening. They do kindly let me know that the employment screening can only occur with my prior consent

Long and short of it is do these threats have any standing or are they just wasting trees at this point and do I have anything to worry about now that the cheque is in the postal system?

Typical RLP bovine

They love to pepper letters with faux legalese jargon which makes them feel important and in the hope that you will feel impressed enough to pay up

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Typical RLP bovine

They love to pepper letters with faux legalese jargon which makes them feel important and in the hope that you will feel impressed enough to pay up

ignore them

dx

Yup! Couldn't agree more.