Audi Warranty -wiring issue cause by rodent damage

yvonnebr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband has a Audi S4 13 plate which had to be recovered and taken to an Audi Centre due to electrical fault. On board computer as they called it went mental putting out all sorts of messages and cut power on the car. It turns out that some wiring insulation and sound proofing has been damaged by rodents and the wiring has been damaged but this is not covered by the warranty. Apparently they see quite a few cars coming in with this problems.

After living over 23 years in the same place my husband cannot understand why this has happened to this car. After doing some research it appears that in some new cars the insulation is manufactured using 'soy' which will attract the 'rodents' and therefore more and more cars are having to go the garage to be fixed. I'm trying to find out if the insulation in the car is made from or partly from 'soy.' What I would like to know is that could this classed as a 'defect in manufacture' under the terms of the warranty? Why should we have to pay because this obviously was not thought through?

Any advice, most welcome.

The warranty is there to cover against defects in materials and workmanship, the manufacturer won't warrant against external factors.

The insulation could be attractive to rodents, so could a nice warm, dry engine bay at this time of year. Were there any obvious signs of rodent activity in the engine bay observed when the weekly engine checks were carried out?

If the warranty won't cover it and you don't want to pay for the repair, would your car insurance cover it?

This is something I'm seeing more and more often but it's not down to soy in the looms at all. The plastics used today are different from a few years ago due to recycling regulations. Go into a room full of looms and you can get quite high on the sweet smell they give off which is what attracts the mice and squirrels.

Warranty wise...not a chance but as j66 points out comprehensive insurance cover would normally cover it.

Just exploring the possibilities, there haven't been lots of cases from what I can see, but not great if it's you.

Surely you're not going to suggest that the retailer, card supplier or manufacturer are liable for this rebel?