• Tweets

• Update The engineer who's been looking at the van was unable to borrow a circuit board to do a temporary swap to test. His and Truma's recommendation was that I take the van to them as the fault it was displaying was something they'd not come across before. I rang Truma Friday morning and it was going to be the end of October before I could get an appointment. Then the engineer said that they'd had a cancellation that morning and if I got down to them immediately (a 40 mins journey for me) they'd look at it. They rang me late Friday afternoon and to cut to the point they may have fixed it, it's still on test there today, they'll let me know the outcome later. If it's not the circuit board which they've changed then it's another problem with the solar system on the van which is nothing to do with them. I've kept Marquis involved by email and phone. But because I've acted without giving them another chance to deal with the fault will I still have any claim or not ?  Thanks 
    • expecting civil replies instead of using adjectives and verbs like "shut up"
    • I have also emailed them this below      Can I please bring your attention to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 wherby it states my right to a refund I have highlighted the points where I feel you are failing in regards to this Act. Please refer this to you senior to be looked over immediately and I look forward to your reply    Thanks Kelly Gallimore Right to reject (1)The short-term right to reject is subject to section 22. (2)The final right to reject is subject to section 24. (3)The right to reject under section 19(6) is not limited by those sections. (4)Each of these rights entitles the consumer to reject the goods and treat the contract as at an end, subject to subsections (20) and (21). (5)The right is exercised if the consumer indicates to the trader that the consumer is rejecting the goods and treating the contract as at an end. (6)The indication may be something the consumer says or does, but it must be clear enough to be understood by the trader. (7)From the time when the right is exercised— (a)the trader has a duty to give the consumer a refund, subject to subsection (18), and (b)the consumer has a duty to make the goods available for collection by the trader or (if there is an agreement for the consumer to return rejected goods) to return them as agreed. (8)Whether or not the consumer has a duty to return the rejected goods, the trader must bear any reasonable costs of returning them, other than any costs incurred by the consumer in returning the goods in person to the place where the consumer took physical possession of them. (9)The consumer’s entitlement to receive a refund works as follows. (10)To the extent that the consumer paid money under the contract, the consumer is entitled to receive back the same amount of money. (11)To the extent that the consumer transferred anything else under the contract, the consumer is entitled to receive back the same amount of what the consumer transferred, unless subsection (12) applies. (12)To the extent that the consumer transferred under the contract something for which the same amount of the same thing cannot be substituted, the consumer is entitled to receive back in its original state whatever the consumer transferred. (13)If the contract is for the hire of goods, the entitlement to a refund extends only to anything paid or otherwise transferred for a period of hire that the consumer does not get because the contract is treated as at an end. (14)If the contract is a hire-purchase agreement or a conditional sales contract and the contract is treated as at an end before the whole of the price has been paid, the entitlement to a refund extends only to the part of the price paid. (15)A refund under this section must be given without undue delay, and in any event within 14 days beginning with the day on which the trader agrees that the consumer is entitled to a refund. (16)If the consumer paid money under the contract, the trader must give the refund using the same means of payment as the consumer used, unless the consumer expressly agrees otherwise. (17)The trader must not impose any fee on the consumer in respect of the refund. (18)There is no entitlement to receive a refund— (a)if none of subsections (10) to (12) applies, (b)to the extent that anything to which subsection (12) applies cannot be given back in its original state, or (c)where subsection (13) applies, to the extent that anything the consumer transferred under the contract cannot be divided so as to give back only the amount, or part of the amount, to which the consumer is entitled. (19)It may be open to a consumer to claim damages where there is no entitlement to receive a refund, or because of the limits of the entitlement, or instead of a refund. (20)Subsection (21) qualifies the application in relation to England and Wales and Northern Ireland of the rights mentioned in subsections (1) to (3) where— (a)the contract is a severable contract, (b)in relation to the final right to reject, the contract is a contract for the hire of goods, a hire-purchase agreement or a contract for transfer of goods, and (c)section 26(3) does not apply. (21)The consumer is entitled, depending on the terms of the contract and the circumstances of the case— (a)to reject the goods to which a severable obligation relates and treat that obligation as at an end (so that the entitlement to a refund relates only to what the consumer paid or transferred in relation to that obligation), or (b)to exercise any of the rights mentioned in subsections (1) to (3) in respect of the whole contract
    • V common problem for this car. Might be something small like EGR valve needs a clean, might be water pump, might just need a service. Might still be a very good car, just need to spend a little. Naturally you take them to court for the money you spend of course.
    • Public backs debt enforcement to support vital public services - survey | CIVEA View the full article
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Faulty gas prepayment meters overcharge customers

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2022 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

More than a million pre-payment gas customers have been overcharged because their meters are faulty, the industry has admitted.

About 1.5 million meters have not been working properly since they were installed, some as long ago as 2007.

The affected meters were set up incorrectly, meaning they miscalculate the price of gas and overcharge customers.

Energy suppliers are contacting customers with the faulty meter settings to arrange a refund

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30214471

I wonder how will it affect people if they have switched suppliers during this time?

Now that's a question I would have asked if you had not. We swapped supplier about 15 months ago, so this is our 2nd winter with the current lot and I really hope that someone at npower will sort out automatic refunds for people who were with them before, mainly because our reason for leaving was their appalling customer service !

I wonder why it's an average of £6.50 for each winter period - why just winter? We use gas all year round.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

I am also in the situation where I have changed suppliers and no longer have a pre-payment meter... For those in the same boat, there is some more information from specific suppliers on this MSE page:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2014/11/up-to-15-million-prepaid-gas-customers-overcharged

The telegraph article identified that the meters were supplied by Landis+Gyr, although the exact model is not detailed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11255779/Energy-UK-admits-up-to-1.5-million-households-have-been-over-charged-on-their-gas-meters.html

The photo at the top of the article does seem to depict a Landis+Gyr meter by Brittish Gas and, anecdotally, this is similar to the meter I had fitted some time after 2007 - I have no idea if my meter was Landis+Gyr or affected though.

Hope that may help some folk. :)

J

How do you know if your meter is faulty then? You just have to wait for someone to contact you? I've just moved into a 2 bedroom detached house where the gas is used for heating and hot water. I can only afford to have the heating on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening despite us being at home all day as we are unemployed. It's costing me £91 a month to heat the house. I can't believe this is right?

How do you know if your meter is faulty then? You just have to wait for someone to contact you? I've just moved into a 2 bedroom detached house where the gas is used for heating and hot water. I can only afford to have the heating on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening despite us being at home all day as we are unemployed. It's costing me £91 a month to heat the house. I can't believe this is right?

Mine was that high. We used it a couple of hours here and there. We had to stop using it as the cost was £100+ a month but then the damp started to settle in and we had to move out.

We used electric heaters to heat only the rooms we were in, in the end. Worked out cheaper this way.

Mine was that high. We used it a couple of hours here and there. We had to stop using it as the cost was £100+ a month but then the damp started to settle in and we had to move out.

We used electric heaters to heat only the rooms we were in, in the end. Worked out cheaper this way.

Thanks Joey...it's a ridiculous amount isn't it? Will probably invest in new heaters :mad2:

I was with British Gas before I moved address over a year ago. I was putting £45 per week in the gas meter in the winter months and I did find that we were paying far more than some other people we knew who were also on prepayment meters. I wonder if the refunds will be made to previous customers at a previous address and if so that means that we can't sit back and wait for them to get in touch to let us know if we are due a refund as they won't have our forwarding address

I just like how resource-controlling equipment always "faulty" to your detriment, never to your benefit, outside of human error the computer won't accidently put money into your account. :-)

I believe the error is that the machines go back to the original highest tariff once it's "reset". This reset can happen when the power is cut outside the house during blackouts for example.

I just like how resource-controlling equipment always "faulty" to your detriment, never to your benefit, outside of human error the computer won't accidently put money into your account. :-)

I believe the error is that the machines go back to the original highest tariff once it's "reset". This reset can happen when the power is cut outside the house during blackouts for example.

If it was faulty to your benefit then they would be right on that in an instant and slapping you with the costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got £34 back from Utility warehouse. I was wondering about the time period when I was with British Gas - will make a call today to see what thye say

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused and would like some clarification please.

I'm on a gas prepayment meter and have been for the past 8 years.

Who pays for the meter to be checked?

If energy company pays for it and they find no fault, do I have to reimburse them?

Is there any tell tale sign to look out for to suspect a faulty meter?

Our bill has always been a bit on the high side compared with our previous home but we put it down to higher cost of gas.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry to drag an old thread up but

I have always had a pre-pay meter,

always with BG and

I got a letter to take to any Pay Point to redeem a cash payment for £62.

The strange thing is they say this is how much they calculate that I will be over paying between now and June when the fault will be fixed,

six months to fix a problem is pretty poor considering they can change the price increases at the drop of a hat.

There is no explanation how long this problem has been going on since,

only that my meter was set to the wrong Calorific Value(CV) which apparently works out

how much gas you use and converts it to £'s.

A bit more detail would have been nice from them, at least informing people what date the meter was set up wrong.

It should say that on the letter, or somewhere in the paperwork. Scan the letter on here so we can have a check.

Hi new-me2010,

Here is the letter we received, no dates and certainly no paperwork, just one paragraph that they refer to, which I have highlighted in red, which explains the problem. I particularly like the way they have worked out how much I am 'likely' to overspend over the next 6 months.

I think I'll have to write to them for further information :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55735[/ATTACH]

Thanks.

Hi Odds,

I got one of those letters.

I read the article on bbc website and then contacted British Gas in January after 3 requests they got back to me and stated that if my meter was one of those identifeid as faulty i would be notified by end of January.

Only difference between your letter and mine is the am outn .. I got a very transparent £88.00.

Now whether its a refund i am not sure as the letter states its covering a future period -- Jan to Jun.

So I am curious that if they choose to use the word refund -- where is the detail.

I am going to request further information fromthem and i am really surprised that they have not provided any detail -

It could be quite possible they choose randomly some numbers to include in the voucher and hoped for the best.

My prepaid meter been installed since 2008 so I would like to learn how long the fault has been present, how they calculated the estimate for jan to jun and how does that relate to the previous.

Can we keep in touch and share progress and outcome.

Love to know whether they will provide a convincing explanation.

BTW - i checked the CV value which reads 39.900 --- what should it be any ideas?? and how do you check history of the cV value ?

I am going to prepare some further questions to forward them.

Ill post before I submit if you are unable to get in touch .

Hi poorandalone,

I agree with you completely about the vagueness of it all.

They also say they will send a message to the meter to correct it. Is\should that really going to take six months ?, after all when the price goes up the increase is implemented straightaway.

I too will be contacting them for a much fuller explanation of all the points you raised.

Thanks

Hi Odds

by the way how did you initiate contact with them?

I pursued the matter on their email to customer services and it took three times repeating the same query before i got an reply even though it stated 3 day turn around for replies.

I wonder if any of the consumer programs would be interested in determining why the process of calculation is not transparent.