Paying back Budgeting Loan once in work

Mcall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've got another question, if you don't mind, please. Recently I changed my JSA claim to another council (rapid reclaim, although no break in signing on). I had a liability order for unpaid council tax and a budgeting loan being deducted each week from my JSA. Both stopped being deducted when I changed council.

I've now sorted the issue with the council tax, thanks to some of the advice received on here. But the DWP has also stopped taking my deductions for a budgeting loan I had in August. I owe the money and will pay it back, no question. But can "they" (DWP/COUNCIL) get a liability order and send bailiffs or add crazy fines for a budgeting loan?

I have had 3+ years of hell dancing to the DWP tune, I've got a job at last starting next week and will sign off at my next signing. So I'm loathed to bring up the budgeting loan deductions, as I'll need every penny i can get to last me the month till my first pay day. BUT - if a budgeting loan qualifies for a liability order, etc, then I'll end up owing about £600 in fines with bailiffs, so best to not let sleeping dogs lie.

Anyone know? Is it my responsibility to tell DWP that they stopped making deductions from my JSA even though I never stopped signing or changed my NI number, (and they've written to me on numerous occasions recently about other stuff, thus proving they have my new address, etc).

Any advice really appreciated. I need the money in the short term, I will pay back the loan in the long term - but any excuse to play these people at their own game and be as troublesome as possible gives me a warm feeling that money can't buy! ;)

Edited by honeybee13
Pejorative term removed.

Well when you stop claiming JSA, Social Fund will get notified and if after a while you dont have any benefits live, they send you a letter from their debt recovery department, probably about a month or so ago. So I would suggest near the end of january into february before they start hassling you. Just call them and make a repayment plan. Think your thinking a bit ahead with liability orders lol.

Or you could just phone social fund and explain your new situation......