EE not allowed to reduce your tariff during contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So in October I called EE to reduce the tariff on my phone. Was advised I have to stay on agreed tariff for 12 months before reducing and to ring after 30th November.

I called today to be told that since EE formed you are no longer allowed to reduce your tariff. You can increase at any time but you can never go below the tariff you started on.

I was pointed to the T & C's but that just says they don't have to allow you to reduce the tariff. I asked why something that important wasn't written into the conditions and was just told if it's not written in them then you can't do it.

EE just state if your on the Orange side then you can drop 1 tariff during the contract but on EE this is no longer allowed.

Anyone else come across this problem?

Yes, I've come across this before. It's quite common. Most service providers will limit or not agreed to tariff reductions during the limited term.

Usually the cost of the phone they give us based on the monthly tariff that is agreed, therefore the upgrade is given on the understanding that they will get £x for x months.

Where you told that you could drop? Are you with Orange or on 4gEE?

I m on EE 4G. I was told I could drop but as usual no notes of the conversation were made.

I actually recorded the call when the sale was done as I'm very aware how sneaky they can be when promising you everything to get the sale then some of it never happens.

Just tell them to end the contract and see what they come up with then. If they still wont do it, then end the contract and start a new one on the tariff you want.

Is the contract still within, or past, its minimum term?

If past its minimum term : follow Connif's advice.

If still within its minimum term : it is unlikely you can end it early, and to do so may invite termination fees (and risk a default on your credit report)

However, let them know:

a) what you were told about reducing tariff after 1 year (was this a 24-month contract)

b) that you will be keeping your usage within that if the tariff you were told you could change down to after a year

c) that you will pay the higher charge if they don't reduce your tariff, but then will take legal action for the difference if they don't adjust your tariff down.

Then, when they overcharge you for the tariff you SHOULD be on, send them a letter before action.

If that doesn't fix it : small claims track of the County Court.

You may have to lay out more and recoup it later, but this approach avoids you defaulting / them terminating the account and charging you termination fees.

Hi

It's a 24 month contract started 30th Nov 2013 so still 1 year left.

The only reason for wanting to reduce it is the phone is used by my 15 yr old daughter who is now complaining we never give her pocket money but forgets we pay £40 pm for her phone. The idea was to reduce it and give her the difference in cash.

I've give her the option when it ends to either give her 40pm pocket money and she funds her own phone or I continue to pay for her phones until she is 18.

BazzaS: for you suggested plan of attack the OP needs to have prove they were misadvised about dropping their tariff. (i.e. told they could drop it after 12 months when the reality is that they cannot).

Like when they were told that in the call they (the OP) recorded?

I was told I could drop but as usual no notes of the conversation were made.

I actually recorded the call when the sale was done as I'm very aware how sneaky they can be when promising you everything to get the sale then some of it never happens.

Jacktheband, did you have any other misgivings as to my advice?

Connif: contract still within its minimum term

It's a 24 month contract started 30th Nov 2013 so still 1 year left.

Hence my advice on how to get the reduction in tarrifs promised, without risk to credit rating / risk of being defaulted and/or made liable for termination fees.

Jacktheband, did you have any other misgivings as to my advice?

Yes. The part where the OP has not stated that the call was recorded where they were promised the tariff drop.

It reads in the initial post as though the OP called them in October to ask about dropping tariff and they were told that they could do this after the 12 month part of the contract. There is no mention of this call being recorded. In a subsequent post the OP mentions that the sales call was recorded, to me it reads as though they were referring to the initial sale (i.e. at the start of the contract).

But, i might be reading that wrong. Hoping Sirbob will come back and clear this up. Cos if the mis-advice call is recorded then they've obviously got EE over a barrel. Without it, it would be tricky.

No jacktheband you read correct. The initial sales call was recorded but not the the call advising I could drop but only after 12 months.

I did ask why this wasn't mentioned in the initial sale but was told unless I asked it wouldnt be mentioned as they don't have time to go through all the finer point of the contract.

I'm not going to grumble. We do get 40% discount on each of the 3 phones we have with them.