Replacement Shower - Also faulty

sparx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We purchased an Aqualisa Vitalise SLX 8.5kW shower as part of a bathroom suite March 2013. From then until about 6 months ago it worked fine (Max temp on setting 3 of 45°C) 6 months ago it started intermittently not heating up to full on 3rd setting (Max of 36-37°C). We just got on with it, having other things to deal with.

The fault is that:

Setting 1 does not "click", and does not affect water temperature.

Setting 2 "clicks", lights dim slightly, and water temperature increases.

Setting 3 does not "click" and does not affect water temperature.

Therefore i'm guessing that Setting 1 switches on one heating element, Setting 2 switches on a second, and Setting 3 switches both on. (Hence why 1 and 3 don't work).

We eventually had time to research the problem (November 2014) - these showers were recalled in Dec 2013 due to risk of electric shock. We contacted the company who said that if it was not leaking then it was not eligible to be replaced under that recall. (http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls/2013/12/aqualisa-vitaliseenergy-electric-showers/)

We then contacted their technical support who sent an engineer to investigate, who turned up with a whole new (?refurbished) unit, and fitted it. He said that due to low local water temperature and it only being an 8.5kW unit, the shower may not reach the maximum temperature. He left with the shower not achieving more than 36°C, having lowered the house water pressure slightly.

Having investigated more thoroughly since, it appears that this replacement shower ALSO has the same problem our previous one had. Throughout winter 2013 the shower worked perfectly.

Question is, who do we chase? Since Aqualisa replaced our previous unit, does the Sale of Goods Act apply to them?

Hi sparx

The Sales of Goods Act 1979 (Amended) does apply.

Google the make and model number to see if others have reported an inherent fault. The retailer is responsible for resolving this.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

How did you pay for it? Credit Card?

It was bought from a local retailer. The original unit was paid for by debit card as part of an invoice.

That unit has since been replaced by the manufacturer (and one of their engineers) FoC. This replacement unit is also faulty.

Does SoGA apply to the manufacturer now, since they have replaced it? I assume the retailer now has no obligation to do so?

Hi sparx

It's still the retailers responsibility, unfortunately SOGA won't appy to the manufacturer. What you might have to do is get an independent report on the fault. But in the first instance send the following amended template to the retailer, send it Recorded Delivery.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/complaint_about_faulty_goods.htm

Let us know what they say.

It was bought from a local retailer. The original unit was paid for by debit card as part of an invoice.

That unit has since been replaced by the manufacturer (and one of their engineers) FoC. This replacement unit is also faulty.

Does SoGA apply to the manufacturer now, since they have replaced it? I assume the retailer now has no obligation to do so?

• 2 weeks later...

We've contacted the manufacturer again, who are actually being quite helpful this time around.

The fault seems permanent now, rather than intermittent as before. I can pretty much guarantee that it's a fault with a relay/contactor which supplies power to the second heater element (or control circuitry of that relay/contactor). The maximum temp we are now getting is 33 Celcius, up to 45 Celcius with the cold tap running, which is obviously unacceptable (water is not metered luckily!)

If we have no luck with the manufacturer then we'll head back to the retailer (who has told my parents that they cannot deal with it... where have I heard that before!!).

This is the fault if anyone else has come across it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurPA05juyc

Cheers guys,

sparx

• 1 month later...

Just an update - Aqualisa sent another engineer (even after stating that we should go back to the retailer) - he came to replace the entire unit again, however there was a loose screw which dropped out when he removed the front cover.

Put the old cover back on the old unit, and voila! Perfect heat on all settings.

I can only imagine that this screw was shorting one of the outputs from the MCU inside the shower, preventing it turning on the appropriate heaters.

Cheers cag!