LOWELLS - Strange email with ZIP attachment received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Im going to ask Lowell to pay for my HDD Replacement that they caused by letting that email go out :p

Lets see whats happens lol! :/

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an interesting response to my email to Lowell CR;

Please be advised that the emails which are sent from the Lowell Group contain a disclaimer which confirms that we cannot, as a business, take responsibility for any loss or damage caused as a result of the use of the email or attachments.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Heres an interesting response to my email to Lowell CR;

Unbelievable, it does not matter one iota what their disclaimer says, if they sent the email with a virus attached then they are fully responsible for any damaged caused.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Yeah Stig... I agree... But wont happen...

I know! Ill withhold payments on the debt for 4 months!! That way ill recoup my costs. I have £40 left on the Cap One debt so, Cant see any real reason to worry.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

May I offer a little piece of advice with reference to this Lowells Malware ...

If you took this to court it would be rejected out of hand for the reasons that there is NO PROOF that the malware actually come from Lowells as it is possible to inject malware into an email during transit via other servers. Any reasonable judge would also say that it is your responsibility for ensuring that you have protection from malware.

But with many people having the virus, the balance of probability is that this originated with Lowell, that it wasn't injected afterwards, that Lowell wanted you to read the email & so are liable for losses ...

This wasn't a loss resulting from the use of the email, it was a loss resulting from opening the email to read it. Lowell know that the people they communicate with are short of cash & probably can't afford virus protection, even if their PC is powerful enough to run it. They should take reasonable care sending out emails.

Would this be any different if their snail mails had noxious substances in them?

May I offer a little piece of advice with reference to this Lowells Malware ...

If you took this to court it would be rejected out of hand for the reasons that there is NO PROOF that the malware actually come from Lowells as it is possible to inject malware into an email during transit via other servers. Any reasonable judge would also say that it is your responsibility for ensuring that you have protection from malware.

Now there you are spot on! I wouldnt expect a judge to hand it to me at all. Yes I would expect reasonable protection to be installed on the PC that this email was sent to.

But with many people having the virus, the balance of probability is that this originated with Lowell, that it wasn't injected afterwards, that Lowell wanted you to read the email & so are liable for losses ...

This wasn't a loss resulting from the use of the email, it was a loss resulting from opening the email to read it. Lowell know that the people they communicate with are short of cash & probably can't afford virus protection, even if their PC is powerful enough to run it. They should take reasonable care sending out emails.

Would this be any different if their snail mails had noxious substances in them?

Grumpy is also right. Lowell are ENTIRELY responsible for what they send out to customers. They need to check before sending a virus riddled email... Simple. And they have done nothing to resolve the issue at hand. Thats my problem.

Them using the disclaimer is a lazy way of saying we arent bothered.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Them using the disclaimer is a lazy way of saying "we arent bothered".

That might fly if you could read the disclaimer before you opened the email :-). That would be a good trick. Many email clients open the email in preview anyway & by then it's too late. Go get them.

They have now been informed, no payment until they cough up. Simple! :)

Interestingly enough, I also got a copy of this email next to SG1 sending it to me... Yet they have no record of sending it to me... Strange...

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 2 weeks later...

Well heres a change of situation... Lowell have had the last laugh... I S*** you not...

I note from your email that you are now refusing to make further payments towards the former Capital One account, as a result, I have taken the decision to close the account on our systems. The default which is reporting in relation to this account will not be updated to show as ‘satisfied’, as we have the responsibility to show a true and accurate reflection of the status of the debt. As you are unwilling to pay the outstanding amount of £40.00, the default will reflect this accordingly.

Therefore, the account will not return to our collection cycle, or be passed on to our external agents for further recovery.

I have issued you my final response on 9 February 2015 and you were provided the right to refer this matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service in my response email. Therefore if you remain dissatisfied, you have the right to refer this matter accordingly.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

What if your using the local libary. They have protection but its not ur computer

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi GM... It was on my own personal PC.

See SG1 sent me a zip file which was exactly the same which i received during December from Lowell... I opened the zip file on my sandbox pc to have a look at it... Lets just say.. that didnt end well even with a full reformat...

It went out enmasse... I feel for anyone who got duped by this.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi. I understand that but it does not answer my question. What if l was using a public computer can l be expected to no the ins and outs of it.

I quiet regularly will wonder down to libary to get junior and l out of house

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

See SG1 sent me a zip file which was exactly the same which i received during December from Lowell... I opened the zip file on my sandbox pc to have a look at it... Lets just say.. that didnt end well even with a full reformat...

It went out enmasse... I feel for anyone who got duped by this.

Okay lets be honest here (and I am not defending Lowells), you have downloaded a zip file that is MALWARE, Question. Why as your AV or MALWARE protection not picked this out. OBvious answer is either none or rubbish. Get rid f it and get a good one. This still makes it your problem as you opened it and protection let you down

Sorry for caps on mobile devife

Queens King.

I had Norton for about 2 yrs. As soon as the free time was over it was gone. Some decent(and free) pickedevery thingu

Yes I have Eset... Its top notch. But its not the point. I wanted to prove 2 things;

Lowell have screwed up by sending this and should take more care when dealing with emails etc, not relying on a stupid disclaimer that means nothing.

How much damage that attachment could do... The point has been proven...

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis