NHS dentist root canal treatment

Ford

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

nhs info says 'root canal work' is re band 2, yet some dentists put it in band 3?

nhs helpline seems inconclusive, seemingly siding with the dentists re band 3 if deemed 'complex'.

what band should it be in? anyone any experience re this? etc

IMO

:-):rant:

hi

have seen that.

but, they seem to put it in band 3 re being 'complex' treatment. and nhs helpline seemed to agree (ie non committal).

was charged band 3

IMO

hi rebel

thats some good info, skim read so far. cheers.

no plan, no explanations, etc given...

is it re contract?

tried to add to yr rep, but i have to 'spread some' around first :lol:

IMO

No probs. Write to the dental practice manager ask for a written explanation for the costs involved. Then assess once you get the letter. Dentists are in that group, banks, utility companys etc.

No probs about the reps. just write me an IOU.:madgrin:

It seems just skimming through that if the procedure is relatively straight forward then it's charged a in the lower band. However, if it's more complex then it's charged accordingly. Quite what defines complex may be a matter of time spent, number of individual steps, equipment used etc. I'm inclined to agree with what's written above, write to the pm and ask for a detailed explanation. Oh, and please update us on how you get on.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Unfortunately Dental Practices are now like any other business. Most people just go in and let the dentist do his/her stuff, after all they are in the hands of a professional. You expect the dentist to look after your interests, but these days they look after their own interests. These days they want to ask 15 questions so they can sell you cosmetic procedures. If your an NHS patient, then the work carried out needs to be carried out according to the guidance, it just isn't.

Unfortunately Dental Practices are now like any other business. Most people just go in and let the dentist do his/her stuff, after all they are in the hands of a professional. You expect the dentist to look after your interests, but these days they look after their own interests. These days they want to ask 15 questions so they can sell you cosmetic procedures. If your an NHS patient, then the work carried out needs to be carried out according to the guidance, it just isn't.

Too true unfortunately, I've come across a few like this and tend to end up just using the OOH service as and when I need to, I'm there for treatment not to be made to look like Richard Hammond.

Having had a closer look at some of the info it seems that root canal is firmly placed in band two, kick up a bit of a stink and if needs be involve the local healthboard. I'd be inclined to print that lot out and land it on the PM's desk.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

hi

thanks guys

sorry, meant dentist said it was charged at band 3 when asked how much for the RC treatment he said was needed.

check up has been paid so far @ band 1 fee.

will have a look at the info more over the wkend, prob pop in there next week.

IMO

• 4 months later...

this is still in issue.

but, a short update; they say would need/want to do a pin, which puts it into band 3 ie 'crowns including any pin or post aids to retention...'

am now going to seek 'official' nhs/PCT guidance.

IMO

• 1 year later...