My Book Published I Am On Benefits Is This Capital?

DEV1L79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I wrote a book last year and it was picked up by a publisher and was published in February of this year 2014 and has been doing pretty well, it is available worldwide. I run a Facebook page which went crazy popular and it has now got over 100,000 likes. It currently has about 125,000 likes. I was approached by a publisher to write a book on the subject of Wicca which I did.

I have been on benefits since being made redundant last March 2013. When my book was published I had a case worker who I saw regularly to help me get back into work and I asked her about the book and what I need to do and she said I shouldn't worry it is more a case of paying tax on it at the end of the year as long as my savings or earnings don't go past £6000. Well the book hasn't made £6000 yet I get a monthly payment from the publishers for royalties of the sales and e-book sales, it started out as about £600 but has now whittled down to about £200 a month for the physical book and the e-book versions. . I am also on a work program called A4E which everyone knows about the book I even took a signed copy in for one of the advisers as she was interested in Wicca. I have always been totally open about the book with both the dole and A4E. I often told the person signing me on I had a book and they would say 'Oh good for you I will look it up' and nothing more said.

I had a customer compliance interview with the benefits office and they asked to see my bank statements and other relevant information regarding the book which I showed them. The man interviewing me said they would regard the book as capital and didn't even take a photocopy of my bank statements just made a quick note of my earnings from the book.

Today when i went to sign there was a garbled letter in the book that said I must fill in a B7 form which is for people who are working part time and to declare any hours worked or pay. The man seemed confused and went to ask the person who put the letter in my signing book, which he says he 'thinks' that is what i need to do, then they couldn't work out what is was i needed to do so they sent me to another woman who then says I need to fill out a B16 for self employment and they have made an appointment for me for Monday.

I don't really want to sign or say I am working part time as i am not I am still available for work and am not working for any company, neither do I want to sign that I am self Employed as I am not I do not own a company or work for one I have owned.

No one seems to know including myself what is to be done in these circumstances. I have always been told that my book is capital and it can make up to at least £3000 before it affects my benefit. Can anyone help please??

I'd have thought its income as its money your earning by producing something.

I think the confusion may be that your no longer actually working on the book but receiving royalties. I think you need to query the treatment of royalties higher up, but I'd do it in writing. There must be someone at the DWP that knows the answer, is just finding the right person.

However if you were still working on your book or website, you maybe able to claim WTC.

I'm sure I've posted this before in response to similar questions from the OP in the past, but earnings from royalties are treated as self-employed income, as posters above have said. The guidance on this is pretty clear - it would be worth reading section 27073 and the next few paragraphs of a relevant Decision Makers Guide.

Income from the book should therefore be deducted from your JSA, less any appropriate disregard (£5 per week if you are single, have no dependent young children and are not claiming DLA or PIP).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Not quite the same, but I did a bit of ad hoc "consultancy" work on an irregular basis whilst claiming JSA. Watching the advisor's face when I declared >£1,000 for one hour of work was priceless :smile:

As for the OP, I would ask how often do you get a cheque for the royalties ?

If it is once per month, then I would declare it as a one off payment. The work done to earn the royalties was completed back in January/February and no time has been spent on it since the date of publication. The tax man will probably want his cut unless it has been deducted at source. If you are also claiming HB/CTR, the local council will also need to be notified of these payments.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Royalties are treated as income for income-related benefits such as JSA(ib)/IS/HB/etc

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

It's income not capital IMHO too.

I would be inclined to do a letter explaining what has happened and what payments you had when.

Hope it's a real sucess & you don't need to worry about suck things for much longer

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

If it is once per month, then I would declare it as a one off payment. The work done to earn the royalties was completed back in January/February and no time has been spent on it since the date of publication. The tax man will probably want his cut unless it has been deducted at source. If you are also claiming HB/CTR, the local council will also need to be notified of these payments.

Income from royalties is unusual in that it doesn't matter when the actual work was done, it will always be taken into account from the date it is paid. I suppose this is because such payments can continue for a long time after completion of the work which generates them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

My vote is also as Income

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

And to all those saying "income", I have posted (in post 4) a link to the DMG section that confirms your instincts :razz: