My JSA deductions have stopped, who do I contact, council or DWP?

Mcall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I got a liability order for unpaid council tax last year. The arrears were £70, but then they added court costs of £120 for liability order (great!) So I owed £190 which I was informed by letter they'd take each fortnight from my JSA. This deduction has been coming off since around January, but I recently changed the London Borough I sign on and for the last two JSA payments they haven't taken any deductions (and I've been paid full JSA).

I've read horror stories over on the Bailiff forum that councils don't need to contact people anymore but can just send in the bailiffs incurring a further £310 fee without notice. Ending up owing £500 from an original £60 arrears is worse than Wonga interest and should be illegal, but we know DWP and councils seem to make their own rules these days.

So my question please is do I need to phone up DWP and ask why they have stopped deductions, or phone up my previous council and tell them DWP has stopped taking deductions, or should I just leave it because I haven't stopped signing on, and DWP database must be linked centrally?

I don't want to kick the hornet's nest and say "Oh please can you take my money", but likewise I don't want bailiffs turning up. Thanks...

Edited by citizenB

I think you should say something, if only to show that you noticed this problem and were prepared to deal with it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think you should say something, if only to show that you noticed this problem and were prepared to deal with it.

Do you think I should contact DWP and ask why deductions have stopped, or phone old council and explain that I'm still signing but in a new part of town? My concern if I phone council direct is that they might say "well, you started a new claim (?) with new council, it was your responsibility to let us know, not DWP to continue taking deductions, it's now with bailiffs, etc" (I'm catastrophizing here, but everything's so bad in my life at the mo, this is just how my luck will go)

[...]phone old council and explain that I'm still signing but in a new part of town?

Telephone the council concerned, and follow it up with a letter. If there is a problem somewhere down the line, you have established a paper trail. Presumably, this debt has not been paid in full yet, and if you close your JSA claim shortly, you will need to make alternative arrangements to settle.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.