veganite

Tate & Lyle - Halal Sugar

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1721 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Have you added animal bones to your coffee or teas? Maybe a sprinkling of animal bones over your cornflakes?

Tate & Lyle website, FAQs state:

Q. Are Tate & Lyle sugars and syrups suitable for vegans?

A. All of our sugars and syrups are suitable for vegans, except Tate & Lyle Traditional Royal Icing Sugar, which contains egg white.

All good so far? Until you read this:

Q. Are your products Halal?

A. We currently hold Halal Certification for:

Tate & Lyle Granulated Sugar

Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar

Tate & Lyle Preserving Sugar

Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar

Lyle’s Golden Syrup

Lyle’s Squeezys all flavours

Lyle’s Black Treacle

Lyle’s Maple Pouring Syrup

How can a large company state that their sugar is suitable for vegans, then state that the sugar is halal certified?

Tate & lyle website is here: http://www.tasteandsmile.com/faq

The same page says it is halal certified and vegan :!:

edit: animal bones are used in the cleaning / refining of the sugar

Edited by veganite
add additional info

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Bones are used in some refining processes. For decolourising i think, as sugar cane isnt white. Some refineries, dont use animal products at all, and just bleach it instead.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

i cant see how they advertise it as being both halal and vegan

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!