style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Day

I was recently sent a council tax bill for a property I lived in 3 years ago. It was for £115 for my final months council tax. It was a genuine mistake on my part. The letter came to my house asking for payment within 14 days, however I was away from home for a long period of time so by the time I got the letter the debt had been sent to Ross and Roberts who now wanted £190. I wasn't sure the original amount was right so queried it with the council who asked me to post some details to them which I did recorded delivery. 2 weeks later came a phone call from the bailiff, so I got back onto the council who said they never received the letter. Gave them the recorded delivery number and alas they had. Anyway, they informed me of one or two things and I had to agree that the original amount of £115 was correct so I paid it to them immediately in full. Put the phone down and text the bailiff to say it had been sorted. Next thing is I have a voicemail saying I still owe Ross and Roberts for costs. Is this correct? Now the debt is closed with the council do they have the legal right to pursue me for their costs? Thank you for any replies in advance.

If the bailiff was used then you've them their fees unless you are exempt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You say that you 'recently' received a council tax bill for £115. I have no idea how long it was before you called the council but before a bailiff visits there is a legal requirement that provides that the bailiff must first send you a Notice of Enforcement. A statutory 'Compliance Fee' of £75 would have been applied to the account at that stage.

If payment was not made or a payment proposal set up within the strict time frame as outlined in the Notice of Enforcement the debt would be passed to an individual bailiff to make a visit. This is referred to as an Enforcement visit and attracts a fee of £235.

Did you receive a Notice of Enforcement? If not, have you taken this up with the local authority?