• Tweets

• Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Actionfraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
    • It'll be something to the effect of:  "I am in receipt of your letter before claim.  I was awaiting a passenger as a licensed cab driver on the Locton estate who subsequently cancelled the pickup after me waiting a while and will fight this in the small claims court if necessary. Plus I have friends who are experts in contractual law and make it their business to defeat these spurious PPC claims.  So issue the claim form or go forth and multiply, up to you"
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can JS28 help me with Seetec MWA start?

Mcall
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I've found myself in a bit of a bind with my new adviser and was hoping for some advice please.

Brief backstory: I transferred my claim from a different London borough a few months ago. Big mistake. My previous adviser was honorable and had integrity. She could see I was doing everything I could to get a job and as a result we had mutual respect.

I met my new "Work Coach" on Friday and immediately we took a dislike to each other. She has put me on MWA starting Tuesday. I am angry for myself (of course) and also angry on behalf of my fellow man - WHY in the hell would any big business pay money for Xmas relief staff when they can get people like me to do it for free under threat of sanction? (But mainly I'm pee'd off for myself - over Xmas there is usually a 2 week break from signing, so 4 weeks where I would be left alone, and my JSA would go through automatically). Now I have to do 4 weeks of this MWA scrubbing graffiti off park toilets or some such other delight over Xmas period and will be sanctioned if I miss a day!)

I'm not naturally a cynical person who looks to exploit the system, but I read a thread about JS28? Which allows you a period of 14 days illness. I've never missed a signing before so am free to use this. My question is I feel I might be ill for a couple of weeks on Tuesday ;) If I use this form will it get me out legitimately from doing this Seetec Slavery until the New Year? Or will they sanction me?

Despite what you all may think reading this, the JCP really has pushed me to the limit recently, so I'm looking for anything I can do legally to avoid a sanction, avoid MWA and still get my JSA over Xmas period. Thanks if you've read this far.

Have you been assigned a MWA placement yet, or is it just a referral to Seetec ?

If the latter, you have plenty of scope to challenge a placement in the run up to Christmas, for example:

• Does the placement displace a paid worker
  • Is it "of benefit to the community"
  • What risk assessments have been carried out
  • Is it relevant to the job goals of the claimant

If the placement has already been made, ask for a mandatory reconsideration using any/all of the above, and don't be afraid to publicise the guilty party - If it is a temporary placement at somewhere like Argos or Homebase, then it most likely falls foul of the "displacing a paid worker" criteria.

I wouldn't recommend falsifying a JSA28 as it may come back and bite you with at some point in the future.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for response Mr.P. Not assigned yet - adviser made a phone call as I was sitting there for my usual signing, then printed me off a letter which I had to sign to say I'd received saying that Seetec would contact me now I'd been mandated. (I read it carefully before signing, but nothing I could readily challenge in letter). I DID make a big fuss about being contacted by phone, saying I was aware that any mandated attendance must be sent via letter (as I read on this forum). My adviser then got really sh*tty and said (and I quote) "Oh, so you spend your time finding out what you can't do rather than looking for what you can, I'm only trying to help you with this MWA because you have gaps in your CV). Grrrrrr.

The whole vibe of the conversation went downhill after that point. I made her write in the onscreen notes that I needed to receive instruction about my first appointment in writing, as I didn't always carry my phone with me, and didn't have credit to return missed calls). She added it under protest, but also wrote that she'd told me I MUST answer my phone, whether it's caller withheld or number unknown and to carry my phone with me at all times. I agreed she had said that.

What should be my next move? Should I take the call when Seetec ring to arrange my appointment tomorrow? Should I ignore and wait for a letter? I am brutally skint at the moment, and can't risk a sanction this close to Christmas - I don't want to be the most legally correct yet sanctioned man come Xmas Day! But I will do anything to get out of this MWA bullcrap (having spent two years with Ingeus back in 2009-2011 which hand on my heart nearly finished me off)

You must answer your phone huh?

May i suggest a very loud prolongued toiler experience at the next time they phone

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The whole vibe of the conversation went downhill after that point. I made her write in the onscreen notes that I needed to receive instruction about my first appointment in writing, as I didn't always carry my phone with me, and didn't have credit to return missed calls). She added it under protest, but also wrote that she'd told me I MUST answer my phone, whether it's caller withheld or number unknown and to carry my phone with me at all times. I agreed she had said that.

You are unemployed. How can you be expected to pay for a mobile phone :!: along with essentials such as food, heating, council tax, etc... I'd have told them that a telephone was one expense too far and any contact numbers were to be removed forthwith.

In any event, you are correct in stating that all mandatory notifications from Seetec must be in writing and posted in good time.

Hi, I've just turned on my phone this morning and can see a voicemail message from a missed call number withheld (which often means it's from a switchboard), so I'm guessing it's probably Seetec. I actually don't have credit to check message as I only get free texts a month.

Can I just double-check with anyone out there that not taking the call and waiting for the mandatory letter instead won't get me sanctioned?

Thanks.

Hi Mcall,

The missed phone call I would not worry about, Just wait for the letter from them. Its hardly your fault if you can't afford to charge your mobile phone up or it

got lost or broken last week.

The JSA28 is quite good and very easy to fill in as I had to fill my first one in last month, Pulled my back out moving some crap out of my cellar. I filled it in for the full 14 days allowed and my wife dropped it into the JCP on my original signing day, no breaks of any payments, For once DWP and JCP got something correct.

If you have someone who can drop off your filled in JSA28 around the normal time you sign it seems to work perfect like you attended, there again it also depends on who your adviser is and if they are helpful.

Loads of cold and flu bugs around this time of year, Good Luck and have a merry Xmas/New Year.

George

Thanks biggeorge, you've really helped put my mind at ease. I'll wait for the letter from Seetec and just keep my phone switched off then. Trouble is my new adviser really gunning for me now, after our slanging match on Friday, so she's looking for any excuse to sanction me (she almost said as much - wish I could've recorded it!)

I hate feeling like this, scared of the phone ringing, always remembering what is coming up with a feeling of dread - all to get a few quid JSA. But if I get sanctioned just before Xmas... Honestly doesn't bear thinking about. Some people like my adviser must have no conscience, compassion or humanity.

I recently had an adviser like that, at the time I was on the NEA where I did not have to provide any job search as I was preparing for my self employment.

Crappy hosting service I used had a fault and I lost my web site and had to start again.

Took a a printed email out from them explaining the problem but my adviser was having none of it, I knew I had 13 weeks from my business plan been approved to

signing off JSA and going onto the NEA payments and I told her so. She was adamant I only had 2 more weeks and I would be put back onto JSA and job searching.

I tried to explain to her and tried to show her the letter from the hosting company who messed up but she wasn't interested so I told her I would be making a formal complaint

to the manager about her in writing as I wasn't happy.

Got home that day and had a message on my other phone I use for JCP and it was my adviser, She had looked into the regulations and I was correct I did have 13 weeks which took

me into November, She even apologised which shocked me so much as she was one of the most hated hard-face advisers there.

Next signing I was moved from her caseload and given a new adviser who so far seems brilliant, Understands the problems I am under with the loss of my finished web site and

seems a genuine guy, We will see though.

George

JS28 is for those who are ill. Not for those who can't be bothered to turn up to MWA.

Totally agree, by using the JSA28 when you are not actually sick, you are just delaying the inevitable. The added consequence is that despite what some people think the staff at the JCP are not stupid and will realise what you are doing. This will just make it more likely that they will look for any reason possible to sanction you in the future.

From a post a few days ago:

But to get my JSA pittance each week I'm willing to do what the system asks of me. Not TOO arduous really?

There are other ways of delaying or avoiding MWA, but sending in a JSA28 will cause problems when you really do need it. Now that the referral has been made to Seetec, you will have to go when summoned or incur a sanction - The actual MWA placement is still some way off as they will need to find something suitable first.

From a post a few days ago:

There are other ways of delaying or avoiding MWA, but sending in a JSA28 will cause problems when you really do need it. Now that the referral has been made to Seetec, you will have to go when summoned or incur a sanction - The actual MWA placement is still some way off as they will need to find something suitable first.

Yes, but when "summoned" by phone or by mandated letter only? Can someone please clarify the facts?

Also, who decides what is a "suitable placement"? My previous work experience is all in Education, so if they offer me a placement working in retail (which is most likely as that's where the free slave labour is needed this close to Xmas), can I say "not suitable", - I'm guessing they'll reply, DO IT OR SANCTION! What do I then do please?

I'm assuming that the definition of 'suitable' might be quite broad. If a placement addresses a gap in somone's experience it could be defined as suitable.

One thing is pretty much certain, even if you do log a JS28 you'll only delay the inevitable and, if it's not genuine, put yourself at greater risk of being found out. I'm sure we'd all love 4 weeks off over christmas but for most of us it's not the case.

Edited by think about it
typo!

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Yes, but when "summoned" by phone or by mandated letter only? Can someone please clarify the facts?

See DWP issued guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mandatory-work-activity-dwp-provider-guidance

Engagement Activity

3.17 Prior to start you are required to conduct engagement activity with the

claimant.

3.18 How the engagement activity is undertaken is at your discretion but it

must include as a minimum:

• the issuing of a formal notification letter (see template at Annex 2);

[see docs for further requirements].

3.19 The initial notification letter must be issued in hard copy. It is not

acceptable to use electronic methods such as email or text. You may hand

the letter direct to the claimant, or send it by post. You should keep a record

of how and when the letter was issued to the claimant.

3.20 You must allow reasonable notice between the date of issuing the

notification and the work placement start date.

As I understand it the Work Coach refers the Claimant to a MWA Provider. She does not actually arrange the Placement herself. From what you have written the Provider appears to be Seetec.

The procedure is that your Coach should have phoned Seetec while you were there and sorted out; 1) whether there was a suitable placement available for you, and 2) fix a date and time for Seetec to contact you for the purpose of discussing with you and determining what sort of placement would suit your needs, including location etc. The Provider will then send you a letter confirming what you agreed to and giving the place, location and starting time for the placement.

The letter that you were asked to sign at the interview with your Coach merely informs you that you are being referred to Seetec for the purpose of arranging for you a MWA placement. That letter should include the name of the Provider that you are being referred to and the date and time that said Provider will contact you. The initial contact is by phone and there is no question of it costing you anything since they will be calling you. That is the whole point of the letter and by signing it that is all you have agreed to so far.

Only an idiot would suggest that you have agreed to, or accepted, a placement at this stage when one has not been offered and you have no idea what it might involve, or even that there is a placement available for you. The MWA Guidance gives detailed information about what is involved in a placement and how it can be refused unless certain conditions applicable to you are taken into account. You can’t do any of that until you find out more about the placement.

Seeking to deceive and defraud the Government can only lead to much more serious consequence for you, but that’s your affair. Seeking the help of this forum to conspire in illegal activity thereby implicating it could have serious consequences for many thousands who rely on it for genuine advice. It isn’t as if one has to be a genius or a criminal mastermind to outwit DWP staff.

I’m sorry that all I can offer you is more advice, opinions and judgement based on personal experience and what I have learned by heeding sound advice from the many well informed contributors to this forum and by reading the appropriate information provided on the DWP site itself and other useful sites. If all the thanks that those who took the time and trouble to give you the benefit of their opinions and judgements is to throw it back in their faces then perhaps the pubs and the dens frequented by the criminal fraternity would be more suitable places to cater for your needs.

chances are you would have been referred by your old advisor sooner or later, Just bite the bullet and get it over with it, Its only four weeks and they will be others there in the same boat. (they also have to be community projects or charity shops).

Did mwa last year (did not want too) but was nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. as I said where others their in same boat and never came close to breaking sweat (spent more time in then canteen than working

also doing it over xmas the scheme will be closed for part of the time and I think the two part weeks you will do will count as full weeks so you will end up doing less than 20 days (if the scheme is closed 24th, 25th and 26th Dec you will only work two days that week but will be classed as the full five) and the same the next week which will be new years week.

Edited by leicesterguy

Hi, I've just turned on my phone this morning and can see a voicemail message from a missed call number withheld (which often means it's from a switchboard), so I'm guessing it's probably Seetec. I actually don't have credit to check message as I only get free texts a month.

Can I just double-check with anyone out there that not taking the call and waiting for the mandatory letter instead won't get me sanctioned?

Thanks.

Even if you fill in a sick form they will just send you back to mwa when your 14 days is up

TJR JNR

Even if you fill in a sick form they will just send you back to mwa when your 14 days is up

Sure, but that'll be in the New Year and I'm hoping I'll have sorted out a real adult paying job by then to avoid this waste of my time bull placement

If you do forced labour I doubt they can forced you in when the sanction centre is closed

Re phone: it's their latest common attitude sadly, they can't force you to answer your phone I think but it seems a common tactic to be a bully and order people around under threats, these types claim you must have a phone to Jobseek and you just live and breathe jobsearch and yet they'll send you on forced labour?

Mr Mcall has already stated that he has signed a document confirming his acceptance of taking up the offer of MWA and being available and willing to accept a call from the Provider to discuss and consider same.

Any reservations he may have about accepting MWA should have been raised with the adviser at the interview where he agreed to the above.

What he appears to be asking now is advice on how to renege on or circumvent the agreement already made with the JCP adviser. He does not appear to want to take the advice offered that his best option now is to exercise his right to negotiate with the Provider and either turn down any offer made by them due to their inappropriateness or accept one on his terms. He can use his own personal circumstance to do this successfully if only he based his argument on what is acceptable as reasonable objections in the Guidance.

He can’t do that if he continues to refuse to accept the Provider’s call.

How he can so confidently assert the any placement offered will be ‘bull’ eludes me unless he knows something for a fact that he has so far not seen fit to divulge.

By refusing to do what he has signed up to do, which is so far merely to accept a Provider’s call to discuss MWA, he is assisting the Jobcentre in setting himself up for what he is desperately seeking to avoid, a sanction.

A claimant has the right to insist that he/she not be contacted by phone and give legitimate reasons why he/she insists on it. One does this before agreeing to be so contacted, not after.