Pensioner charged BT line fault repair bill £144 +VAT

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2289 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All.

My Father is nearly 80 and relies on his landline.

He recently reported a problem on his line to his provider (Post Office)

who confirmed there was a fault and advised him BT would be out to have a look.

BT arrived a couple of days later and

the engineer says there is a fault caused by water ingress and he needs a new connecter box in the house.

He replaces this box and disappears.

Next thing my Father is being charged by the Post Office £144 + VAT for this tiny box!

No-one, not the engineer or the Post Office at any time suggested there would be a bill, let alone one for £144+VAT,

they just did the work.

He thought, as it was their box and their line, there would be no charge.

Question is

can they just do the work without advising him there would be a huge bill?

Surely they should have quoted him for the work?

Not only is he on a pension and can ill afford the cost,

he is quite upset about it as he feels conned.

The irony of it is that the water ingress came from the hole where the cable entered the house

and wasn't sealed properly originally, so it is actually their fault anyway.

Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

If the problem is before that box then no charge. If the problem is that box or beyond, then there is a standard charge. It's on the site and in the contract and terms and conditions.

If you can show that the water got into the box because of the way the original engineer who fitted it done it wrong, then you can appeal the charge.

Take photos of the outside where the cable comes through and inside as well if poss and send them that.

Hi derbyandrew

Welcome to CAG

Your father should have been informed how much it would cost before the work was carried out.

O.K. that information might be on their website (T&C's), but I take it he has no access. Somebody should have informed him, so he could make an informed decision regarding cost.

The following applies:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what has happened (repair carried out) , how they have let you down (wasn't told about cost) and what you want them to do (waive cost).

Send it to:-

Mr Gavin Patterson

Chief Executive

BT Group

[email protected]

Let us know what they say.

you'd also have to prove 'who' installed the box in the first place.

it might not have even been BT

culd have been there years from the GPO days.

or even a private installer?

not right I agree

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No looking at this, it was BT as thats their standard fee for line faults beyond the box.

Problem here is Post Office and BTOpenreach.

Complain to both.

I worked on the other end doing tech support and booking these at one point and they always have to tell the customer the callout fee for OR.

Agree with DX, find out who installed the box. Ask Post Office to pay the fee etc

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I thought that their liability was up to AND INCLUDING the internal box & that they would charge for anything after the box. BT replaced my box & charged nothing.

I thought that their liability was up to AND INCLUDING the internal box & that they would charge for anything after the box. BT replaced my box & charged nothing.

That is correct, but as the box is inside the house and was wet on the inside it seemed as if it was damaged by the householder. If the engineer hadn't been so lazy, he would have checked to see where the water had entered, so it's now up to the account holder to make a complaint and get the bill annulled.