Performance Measurement Visit - ** GOOD OUTCOME **

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Folks

Can anyone please advise, I am my mum's full-time carer, I am also her DWP Appointee.

Today when I took mum home I found a letter in her postbox (which she is unaware about) the heading states: Notification of Performance Measurement visit for next week. I am going to have to cancel the visit as it is too short notice.

Are these visits normal and random, or has someone been malicious?

My mum has nothing to hide, but I've read on the internet that some of these DWP people go around the property, looking in rooms and even drawers (not the knicker type :-) Have they got the power to go upstairs?

Also my mum spends most of the day at my home as I live nearby, would they come to my house instead of hers?

We have a joint bank account and both of our income based benefits go into it, there is no benefit cap as my mum receives DLA and so does my disabled son.

How many bank statements should I provide for this visit? The account is in overdraft, there is a loan but under 5K to pay for my divorce, the account has never been anywhere near the 6K limit to declare and mum has nothing to hide.

I can only think 1) someone has been malicious 2) it is random as they say 3) the joint bank account has been flagged up as my son has only recently been awarded DLA.

I dread to think how mum will react by this visit, do you think the DWP will see me instead as I am her DWP Appointee?

Any help gratefully received.

My mum has nothing to hide, but I've read on the internet that some of these DWP people go around the property, looking in rooms and even drawers (not the knicker type :-) Have they got the power to go upstairs?

Unless a investigating police officer has a search warrant issued by the courts, he/she has no rights to go anywhere in the property without your express permission, and most certainly can not go looking through draws. A DWP employee has fewer powers than a police officer. What you might have read on the internet is nothing more than scaremongering by the uninformed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks to everyone who have responded so far.

Ok, update, the person who is supposed to be coming out next week is off today, managed to get through to her office then her manager, and the appointment has been temporarily cancelled. They apologised for not sending the letter to myself as the DWP Appointee and they said that the person would visit me.

They went on to say about they need to see our bank balance (we have a joint account which both of our benefits go into) and it is always in overdraft and the last bank statement will be ok.

My next questions are:-

Mum did take out a loan for me for under 6K earlier this year to help pay for my divorce, but even that money going into the joint account due to it being overdrawn did not take us over the 6K limit. We do not have any other bank accounts.

There are a couple of credit cards in mum's name - will they want to see them, I was under the impression credit cards do not acount as savings.

If I can just clear the above question up, then there is nothing else I can think of.

Still think this visit is fishy or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks, Joe

"looking in rooms and even drawers (not the knicker type smile.gif Have they got the power to go upstairs?"

If anyone apart from a police officer/detective with the correct paperwork/warrant asked for access to my property/drawers even though nothing to hide) I would kindly tell them where to go

Not sure what the legal implications are but being brutally honest I cannot see what powers a DWP representative has in snooping/checking stuff as a police officer/detective would have. I would check up on this and of course when they do visit you want full identification and paperwork showing what they are legally entitled to do. May be worth having a check and asking a legal expert what rights they have i.e. CAB

Thanks essexmat, what about going around the house?

They have no power to do anything you don't consent to them doing. In any case, Performance Measurement staff are not interested in what's in your house - they're carrying out a routine check, not investigating a fraud.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks essesmat and Antone.

Antone, what about this:-

Mum did take out a loan for me for under 6K earlier this year to help pay for my divorcelink3.gif, but even that money going into the joint account due to it being overdrawn did not take us over the 6K limit. We do not have any other bank accounts.

There are a couple of credit cards in mum's name - will they want to see them, I was under the impression credit cards do not acount as savings.

With regard to the credit cards, they probably won't want to see the details. Available credit on credit cards does not count towards the capital limit - it isn't actually actually "money", after all - just an offer to extend credit in the future.

Regarding the loan, it might be an idea to have statements to hand just in case they ask what the money was and where it came from. Borrowed cash doesn't count as income, but in some circumstances might count as capital. Since your Mum has not exceeded the capital limit this should not be a problem. All the same, best be prepared for them to ask about it - better to have the information to hand and not need it than the other way round.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 1 month later...

As promised I am updating on the above mentioned visit.

A lady from dwp came to house at appointed time. She was pleasant. Asked if any of mum's circs had changed which they hadn't, she kept harping on about housing and council tax benefit, asked to see i.d. mum was present but was disturbed by her presence and wondered if she was plotting to put her in residential care. The lady only stayed about 20-25 mins and left saying everything was all in order.

Hope this helps other people.

Joe

• Haha 1