Had an interview and ask to delay other job offer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3410 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I had an interview for a job today that I only heard about last Sunday, before then I had already accepted a job offer to start next Monday 1 December. After going for the interview today they didn't indicate either way if they wanted me or not but just suggested I delay the other job start date to give them more time to consider things. Should I just tell them no or is there a chance I could also use this to get the other company I was due to start with to up my salary or benefits? FYI these are both entry level jobs paying just over 20k so I'm not a senior exec 2 companies are desperately fighting over or anything.

Hello there.

I'd be inclined to start the other job as the company you just saw haven't offered you anything. I don't think it's that fair of them to ask you to disrupt something you've already been offered because they could let you down at the end of the day.

The employment guys know more than I do, but I think we've said to people in the past that if they start a new job and then a really good offer turns up, they could leave after a short time.

I expect other caggers will be along later.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Firstly, congratulations on the job offer, secondly, I dont think that you should delay starting the other job on the off chance that you might be offered something else and I think that the second company are really shoddy to even ask you to do that.

In my mind, if they ask you to act in such an underhand manner now, what will they act like when you (possibly) go to work for them?

On the other hand, what job did you prefer?

Personally, I wouldn't touch the second company with a barge pole.

• Haha 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I remember once having 2 interviews booked on consecutive days. I was offered the first there and then and asked if they'd wait for a decision until the other interview the next day. The interviewer said no as they wanted someone committed to the job. Looking back it may have been a bit unreasonable of them, but I would tend to agree with honeybee.

You could always test the water and try and negotiate higher pay if the second job materialises.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

take the first job, you could always resign for the second if it wer offered later

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

take the bird in the hand.

This could be taken another way.

But I wil leave the smut for another day.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.