Marlin chasing for a debt been currently repaying to MCS for many years

MrBurtman

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It has been a long time posting on here (thankfully) and in no small part thanks to all your help and advice previously.

I had hoped to not need advice again as I had since got most things back on track, but a new (albeit similar) problem has now reared its ugly head!

I haven't lived at my father's address for several years, but recently he kept telling me someone called Marlon was ringing looking for me. Turns out, yes you guessed it, it was "Marlin" - a quick search of this forum reveals quite a few of you have had run ins with them.

Anyway, I didn't acknowledge why they would be contacting me as all me main debts worries were resolved & I was on top of all others.

My credit file is now rating "good" (thanks again to your help in getting an incorrect entry removed)

Enough waffling, I recently visited my father, and of course a few letters from Marlin dating back to May 2014.

They claim to have acquired a debt of mine from HSBC this year (there is also a letter from HSBC claiming they have transferred the debt of this account to Marlin)

And the usual "you should now pay us instead of the original creditor", "call here to set up direct debit" and so.

Basically, I did have a debt with HSBC many years ago (must be coming up to 16 years since I defaulted on a loan) - this was subsequently transferred to MCS (Metropolitan Collection Services?) and I've been dutifully repaying a fixed amount each month since then. Never missed a payment.

Of course now being over six years (easily) old, it (if I am corrected) deemed as 'statute barred' - and there is no sign of it on my Credit File.

It dropped off around a year ago.

Marlin claim that they will request to update my credit file to now reflect the current owner of the debt.

I have ordered Credit Report/File from Equifax and as of today there is no sign of any change or addition (which I don't believe they can do anyhow)

Just wanted to gain some advice on this. If I acknowledge this to Marlin will I be opening a whole new can of worms and maybe giving them the go ahead to modify my cf?

Surely if I am still repaying to MCS, firstly HSBC cannot sell this debt to Marlin? Can either of them modify my cf now that it has gone statute barred (even if I am still repaying it?)

Should I perhaps contact MCS? (The last time I had the issue, it was actually contacting the correct dca that helped expedite a resolution!)

I am half tempted to just ignore Marlin (apart from getting my father to write to them demanding the stop calling - although they haven't rang for a month or two now) and carry on as was, with the monthly payments going to MCS.

But I'm also worried this, or more accurately, that Marlin will mess up my only recently cleaned up cf.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

It is my understanding that HSBC are no longer using Metropolitan Collections (even though it is their in house collection department). They are either keeping it themselves or assigning out some accounts.

So in answer to your question - they can sell the account on, even if you are making payments. However, if the reporting has dropped off your credit file, then the new owner cannot simply resurrect it and start reporting again.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will look in with more advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks citizenB, I was not aware that MCS was (is) part of HSBC (that alone must be twisting through some loophole to manage your own debts!)

That is somewhat reassuring that at least they (may) not have wrongly double-sold the debt (as is what had happened before to me!)

Metropolitan Collection Services were HSBC's in house debt collector. It seems the FCA had prompted HSBC to stop using the MCS front which they have done over the last few weeks.

This is recent (the last few weeks).

The fact that your letters date back to May makes me think that HSBC (MCS) may have sold your account on. They did this to me a few years ago. There are no rules at all about selling an account while you are still paying. They can and do - you need to get over that if they have sold it.

The account may have dropped off your file but it is not statue barred as you have been paying it.

By all means, get your father to write telling them that you do not live there. Get him to include your current address. You do not want to miss a claim if one is issued, that risks a CCJ "by default".