Private parking problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3431 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the below situation:-

I live in a privately owned street. It's owned and maintained by the residents.

We have signs at both ends of the street clearly stating that the street is private property and parking is for residents only.

Most days there is just about enough space on the street for the residents to park.

Recently someone from the nearby flats has started parking on our street, meaning that on occasions, there is not enough parking space.

I, and a number of other residents have asked him to move and he has flat out refused.

We've also attached a couple of notes to his windscreen which he's ignored.

I spoke to him again on Friday and he finally agreed to stop.

And he did.. .for two days. His car has been there again since yesterday evening.

I've done a bit of online research, and as far as I can see, the police/traffic wardens won't be do anything about it, as this is a civil matter, rather than a legal one.

It seems as though I may be able to pursue civil action against him through a solicitor

(I have photographic evidence of his car parked in our street), but this seems like a lot of trouble and/or expense and is a last resort.

Can anyone suggest anything that I can try?

Thanks!

Simon

your most certain way to end this is to get a court injunction served on him and he will be jailed for contempt if he continues to park there. If you know the address of the miscreant them a letter from a solicitor warninghim that this may well be the next course of action and the costs of some £8k will be his to pay as well may make him think about where he leaves his car. If it is a heap of junk, get a letter sent to him warning him that it may get towed rather than risk the liklihodd of non-recovery of the legal costs of an injunction.

Thanks Erics,

I don't know exactly where the guy lives, only that he lives in the nearby flats. I have his registration though, so if the DVLA won't give me his address, I'm sure a solicitor could find out.

I'm really hoping not to go down the solicitor route. I'm pretty sure he's unemployed, so I doubt I'd get the costs back. I can see it leading that way though. He really is a nasty piece of work. He physically threatened (unfortunately with no witnesses) a 74 year old man who lives at the end of the street when he asked him to move.

I like the idea of having him towed though. I hadn't thought of that! I'll maybe look into that and see if it works out cheaper than a solicitor.

If two resident's vehicles parked extremely close in front and behind him so that he couldn't get out, it would be next to impossible to prove it had been done deliberately. Be cautious if going down this route though, and make sure you've thought it through properly.

Alternatively, look at the cost of getting a post put in with each resident having a key to lower it.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks, Reallymad,

We actually had bollards on the street for around 15 years, up until a couple of years ago when one of them was vandalised. Unfortunately, since then, the residents of the street have changed. Several are now short-term tenants rather than owners and they're not interested in the expense of new bollards, even though it wouldn't cost very much.

Parking the guy in is a good idea, but a bit tricky. I'd be quite happy to do it, but he's now stopped parking near my house and tends to park at the far end of the street where several old people live, and as I've mentioned above, he's already threatened one of them when asked to move. Could be an option though if he parks near my part of the street again!

Thanks for all the advice, folks.

I think my next step will be to stick the attached (hope it uploads, I'm new to this) on his windscreen tonight and hope that works.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54584[/ATTACH]

towing is legal but there are hoops to jump through first and as YOU dont own the road it will be difficult to make those jumps. A lot of what you can do is down to reward for effort. A pristime Rolls Royce willnot be used as a battering ram for example if boxed in by 2 old vans. Likewise no point in getting injunction if he cant afford to pay the legals and any penalties afterwards.

Thanks Ericsbrother,

I went home last night to stick the note on his windscreen... but his car wasn't there! Purely by chance, I spotted it later on parked in the yard of a nearby double glazing firm. I've not spoken to him since Friday, so maybe someone else has hassled him into moving.

Whether he has permission to park there (knowing him, I doubt it) I don't know, but it's a big yard so maybe they'll let him stay there. I hope so!

So, that could be problem solved - fingers crossed.

Thanks for your advice everyone!