PIP/ATOS - coming tomorrow - feeling rather sick

sirbob10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice.

My husband has been on DLA for just over 2 years and in May he was asked to apply for PIP. I filled out the forms for him and sent all evidence from each consultant he sees. We received a letter in June to say all had been received and his assessment would be in 12-16 weeks. I called just before the 16 weeks and was told it would now be 26 weeks but ATOS would be coming to us. His last ATOS assessment for ESA I had to take him and we actually found the lady very nice and she included me quite a bit in the assessment. He was placed in the SG.

Is a home visit usual/unusual? Should I be worried?

Thanks

Hi

My husband is on DLA and was told to apply for PIP in June which he did.

We were told 16 weeks then a few weeks ago it was increased to 26 weeks.

They've just called today and asked can they come in the morning. I'm suddenly feeling very nervous. I know the problems he faces on a daily basis but I've read so many bad things about these assessments.

I did attend his ESA assessment with him and he was placed in the SG.

Do they normally just ring and ask to come the next day?

sirbob10,

Cos neither company can get themselves organised to do the impossible both Atos and Capita frequently try to make appointments with next to no notice. By law, your husband can refuse this appointment for an assessment for personal independence payment without seven days notice, same as for employment n support allowance. Question is, whether he wants to?

Do you and your husband want more time to get used to the idea? Despite what they say on the claim forms, collect some further evidence to hand to the assessor? Or will you find it easier to get the assessment over and done with? If you decide you can't cope, for whatever reason, with an assessment tomorrow it may be weeks/months before you get offered another. On the other hand, if you have praps seven to ten days to sort childcare, time off work, etcetera, you and your husband will be more confident and relaxed to get your points across to the assessor. Your choice. :-)

Best wishes, Margaret.

Two related threads merged to enable full story in one place.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

Thanks for merging threads.

When I rang yesterday for an update the lady said they had no appointments in the near future so we were very surprised to get a call today asking if an assessor could come tomorrow.

We are going ahead with the appointment as I don't think we'd be any more prepared in a few weeks/months than we are now.

I sent all the evidence we have and when the lady comes tomorrow I shall give her what we have received since we submitted the claim in June which when I rang ATOS yesterday to ask what do I do with further info I was told to give it to the assessor when they come.

So there is no more I can do but wait until tomorrow.

Well today's the day. Glad we haven't had long to stress about it.

I've got everything written down, so I don't forget. Will I be allowed to use my notes for remembering or do I have to do it by memory?

My husband has been unwell since 2008 with high HP (it's now 180/125) but it wasn't until 2011 things got worse. He lost use of his left arm, no feeling at all. Had spinal surgery in 2011. Told it should stop further problems but wouldn't cure what was already damaged.

Soon after surgery blackouts started, no idea why. Told not related to surgery or high bp. Finally lost his job in 2012 as always off, considered liability to other in the work place which I know is true as the times he's just been stood up talking to our kids and then collapsed on them or our poor dogs.

BP then got very bad (240/154). October 2013 left side adrenal gland removed. 4 days in critical care but his bp improved but not for long. Seen consultant last week and they are baffled so decided to remove right adrenal which we are awaiting a date.

Letter from his blackout doctor. She things he's got a sleep disorder and wants a sleep study but not until bp is under control as they are treating this as more serious than the blackouts.

My husband can no longer drive, go anywhere on his own and can't even walk far as he also gas arthritis in both knees.

A few weeks ago after we had a petty argument he said he didn't want to be in when I got home from work so he took dogs out over the moors where we live. He blacked out and was mugged. How cruel can some people be. We reported to police but as my husband was barely conscious he couldn't give a description. Luckily Toby our black lab growled and barked at the mugger and he ran off.

This has turned our lives upside down. We haven't been on holiday since this began. I now have to use Tena bed mats as if he blacks out during the night he wets himself. I did buy a waterproof mattress protector but it so crinkly it makes a noise when you turn over.

We even supervise him in the bath (we have 3 daughters) wash his hair, help him in/out the bath. I even have to cut up his food if he's lost the feeling in his arms.

My day starts at 5am to get up, walk dogs, prepare kids lunches, prepare his dinner, make his cups of tea in his flasks. I leave for work at 6.30am. Kids get up 7.15. Our oldest who's 15 sorts herself out then helps dad wash and dress and makes him another cuppa before she and our 12 yr old head out to school. Our 10 yr old heads out 1/2 hour later and then he's just told to sit, read or watch TV until I come home at 1.30.

My husband is only 43. Most people hate going to work but he says he swap his condition in a heartbeat just to live a normal life.

Sorry for the long rabbit on but thanks for the replies and help

I'll let you know how the assessment goes

• 1 month later...

Hi

UPDATE

I called today for an update on my husbands PIP assessment and he's been awarded Enhanced Rate Care and Enhanced Rate Mobility which we are very pleased with.

The only think I'm confused about is he's been on DLA since Sept 2012 and was renewed for a further year in 2013 so it expired Sept 2014. He was written to in May 2014 and asked to apply for PIP which we did and they received his forms in June 2014.

Now when we've called he's been awarded PIP from 4th Feb 2015. They say his award for DLA will end 3rd Feb 2015.

Can anyone advise why the award for PIP begins in Feb? We haven't had the award letter yet so that may tell us why but wondered if this is normal.

Thanks

Hi

UPDATE

I called today for an update on my husbands PIP assessment and he's been awarded Enhanced Rate Care and Enhanced Rate Mobility which we are very pleased with.

The only think I'm confused about is he's been on DLA since Sept 2012 and was renewed for a further year in 2013 so it expired Sept 2014. He was written to in May 2014 and asked to apply for PIP which we did and they received his forms in June 2014.

Now when we've called he's been awarded PIP from 4th Feb 2015. They say his award for DLA will end 3rd Feb 2015.

Can anyone advise why the award for PIP begins in Feb? We haven't had the award letter yet so that may tell us why but wondered if this is normal.

Thanks

Well done :) relieving isn't :)

I would expect it's because the pip decision superceeds the dla one so will cause dla to stop being paid with pip taking its place.

I think the pip is higher payment amounts compared to dla, but do not think you will get a backdate for the difference due to already receiving dla.