• Tweets

• Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
    • too true HB, but those two I referred for starters - appear to be self admitted - One to excuse other lockdown law breaking, by claiming his estate away from his consistency and London abode was his main home the other if he claims to have 'not told the truth' in his own words via that quote - to have mislead his investors rather than broken lobbying rules   - seem to be slam dunks - pick which was your law breaking - it seems to be both and much more besides in Jenricks case Starmer was director of public prosecutions yet the tories are using seemingly baseless allegations for propaganda and starmer is missing pressing apparent blatant criminality in politics
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Proven Faulty Electric Meter - Personally Feeling Tired of the Process Already

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Forum.

I am currently a BG customer, for three years, prior to that EON for a additionalr three years. Myself and my better half live in a tiny two beds (chocolate box) cottage, single fuel (electricity), No gas main, multi fuel stove burner which keeps the house reasonably warm in colder months.

For many years we have always disputed and questioned the high costs with both Utility companies. After many years of being made to feel like we are going mad, and with the suggestion from both companies "are you sure you want to go-ahead with the meter check, it will cost you if you are proven wrong" attitude by both EON & BG we finally decided to proceed with a meter check, we were advised that this check would be via an independent! It was actually carried out BG themselves.

Results - The engineer who attended professionally used the phrased "goosed" to confirm that as we had suspected over many years, the box is fast running.

BG took over a week to acknowledge this and the reaction to resolving the faulty equipment has been disappointing, enough for me to ask for senior member of staff to deal with the matter. BG have now offered a monetary value, zero interest applied, no additional compensation applied, just what seems to be monetary payment with regards to over payment (I do not know the formula used to calculate their offer?)

EON initial response was very professional to begin with, but now the worm has turned and they have become some may say, quiet bullish in their opinion.

I am aware of the complaints procedures that I have to follow, I have logged a case reference with CAB, I will use the 14 days period of notice, followed by an additional 8 weeks if I am not satisfied with conclusion. Thereafter the ombudsman directly.

I have been advised not to let the faulty meter be taken away, this advise actually came from the regulatory body who will determine further checks on the meter if we fall further into dispute with our current suppliers, I understand that meter examiners are employed by SGS and a point of contact here advised at no costs let them take the meter until we are satisfied fully with the outcome of dispute. The same kind contact advised me that beware that on the day, if the meter happens to perform correctly then it may not work in your favour!!!

So right now I am confused about how best to approach this case! once I have exhausted the official process of complaint with the energy companies;

Q can I claim compensation in excess of what would be the standard overpayment due to the fast running meter?

Q are we entitled for interest to be applied to any overpayments made?

Q should I allow the meter to be replaced?

Q should I request a checking meter sit side saddled to my current meter?

Q is their a maximum claim applicable to this kind of case and can I use effect on lifestyle (true) etc etc to make my claim for compensation stronger?

Sorry for so many questions but I am now feeling a little bogged down with different opinions, at least BG by offering a figure is acknowledging the faulty meter. I look forward to the forums responses.

Kindest regards

Hi gorm

Welcome to CAG

Q can I claim compensation in excess of what would be the standard overpaymentlink3.gif due to the fast running meter?

Yes.

Q are we entitled for interest to be applied to any overpayments made?

Through a small courts claim - yes.

Q should I allow the meter to be replaced?

Not until this is resolved.

Q should I request a checking meter sit side saddled to my current meter?

No.

Q is their a maximum claim applicable to this kind of case and can I use effect on lifestyle (true) etc etc to make my claim for compensation stronger?

You need to send both companies a SAR request. They have 40 days to respond, it will cost £10, they will send you all the data on the account. I take it you have all communication with both companies.

So British Gas are happy to refund overpayments without interest?

EON require proof that the meter is faulty, is that correct?

Thank you for your welcome and answers Rebel11, greatly appreciated.

To kindly answer your questions, BG offered me an instant credit to the account, nothing more nothing less, I very politely acknowledged but declined. I have acknowledge the figure which they have presented but advised that I will require time to seek other opinion before accepting their derisory offer.

EON have been forwarded BG Meter Test Accuracy Report with their findings (I already understand via EON that the procedures for testing a faulty meter are different to BG!) I hope I have done the correct thing here? The information was forwarded via email.

We are in contact with both companies, full logs of conversations are being noted, times, dates, names and points of conversations noted.

With regards to SAR request, do I have to naturally exhaust the correct procedures of complaint before I forward the letter??

Thank you kindly.

Sorry but in respect of the check meter, I would advise you to have one installed by an independent electrician. - Unless someone can say why this should not happen. Where are you in the country?

I'm afraid that I wouldn't have the patience to wait for Ofgen to get involved with their limpwristed approach and outcomes. I would start suing because it will be faster and worth more in compensation.

The Utility companies are out of control and simply going to their own regulator will not do the trick.

Ofgen is the utility companies' preferred route, therefore, the courts should be yours.

There are data protection issues here as well.

Also, I don't understand how the meter examiner works for BG!!!

The rules are quite clear

meter determination whereby an independent meter examiner will review the facts surrounding the dispute and visit the property to carry out tests on the meter and the meter installation.
https://www.gov.uk/electricity-meter-accuracy-and-disputes#electricity-meter-determination

Do you have a written report of it?

It's been tested by BG, it's either working correctly or not, they have checked, it isn't. So don't worry about sending them the report.

You can send the SAR's now, you don't have to wait.

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

Thank you for your welcome and answers Rebel11, greatly appreciated.

To kindly answer your questions, BG offered me an instant credit to the account, nothing more nothing less, I very politely acknowledged but declined. I have acknowledge the figure which they have presented but advised that I will require time to seek other opinion before accepting their derisory offer.

EON have been forwarded BG Meter Test Accuracy Report with their findings (I already understand via EON that the procedures for testing a faulty meter are different to BG!) I hope I have done the correct thing here? The information was forwarded via email.

We are in contact with both companies, full logs of conversations are being noted, times, dates, names and points of conversations noted.

With regards to SAR request, do I have to naturally exhaust the correct procedures of complaint before I forward the letter??

Thank you kindly.

I'm not suggesting that you send them a report. I am asking if you have a copy for your own records?

Please will you post it here

Thank you Bank Fodder and once again rebel11. The Meter Accuracy Test Report was completed by a BG engineer, the report is on BG paperwork, the engineer was in a BG van and wore a BG uniform, not very independent I thought!

I forwarded a copy of BG meter test accuracy report to EON to confirm the failure.

Do I have to exhaust the process of complaint before heading to small claims court?

Thank you both for your interest.

Kind regards

Ofgem don't investigate consumer complaints, all down to the consumer. Small claims court might be best option.

The guidance states the following, the supplier needs to make arrangement for the 'check meter'.

'You should then contact your supplier who is required to investigate your complaint and make best efforts to resolve the problem (including the possible installation of a ‘check meter’ adjacent to the disputed billing meter)'.

Sorry but in respect of the check meter, I would advise you to have one installed by an independent electrician. - Unless someone can say why this should not happen. Where are you in the country?

I'm afraid that I wouldn't have the patience to wait for Ofgen to get involved with their limpwristed approach and outcomes. I would start suing because it will be faster and worth more in compensation.

The Utility companies are out of control and simply going to their own regulator will not do the trick.

Ofgen is the utility companies' preferred route, therefore, the courts should be yours.

There are data protection issues here as well.

Thank very kindly.

So my next steps should be;

- send the SAR

- request a cheque meter

- wait for the official period of mediation (14 days to respond to complaint, if not satisfied a further 8 weeks before proceeding with small claims court)

Is this correct?

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

No. I think that you organise your own independent check meter. However, as you have already had your meter examined by a BG engineer, and he found that the meter was faulty - this will be very helpful. Where are you in the country? - I asked this before and you didn't give a reply.

As you have a report which shows that the meter is faulty, can you just outline your position now nd what you are looking for?

for ref I went through the same ting some years back with electric

powergen then Bgas

after 8 yrs it was found my meter was fast.

I got back the over payment from both.

plus 8%

no other compo

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

In response to Bankfodder - I am based in the North West, South Lancs location, apologies for not answering first time. I have thought about confirming my thoughts on the process, the heart of sleeve mentality sometimes works, doesn't it? Outlining my intentions in the past seems to fall on deaf ears, like "they have heard all before" mentality, idle threats etc etc.With regards to an independent check meter, I genuinely am struggling to find anyone that can offer that as a service! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In response to dx100uk - great that you won! I guess you didn't exhaust the official process of complaint and settled with the acceptable range with regards to the complaints process. Did you ask for a check meter?

Once again, thank you for your interest.

Best regards

Any properly qualified and authorised electrician can fit a check meter. We are helping to get one fitted in the property of Plucked Chick on another thread – who lives in the south of England and who is being fleeced by npower.

You need to find a good reputable electrician who is fully certificated and who is prepared to do the job. It doesn't take very long.

The check meter needs to be of an approved type – on the MID list so that its results are recognised.

The electrician should fit the check meter, make detailed logs of everything and photographs of both meters. And at the same time carry out a kettle test checking the results against both meters. Then the house generally should be evaluated and the energy load tested – and all properly logged.

The results from the two meters should be compared every week and after three or four weeks, you should start to have a much more significant understanding of what is going on.

At the end of it, your electrician needs to evaluate the results of the check meter against the original meter and be prepared to write a report. We can help prepare that report.

I would give written notice to British Gas and also to EON that you are installing your own check meter. Don't bother to wait for their approval. Just inform them and invite their comments if they have any to make. Invite them to carry out their inspection of it if they want.

To British Gas you can tell them that it will confirm the results of their own inspection that their in-store meter is faulty and that you are preparing to take the matter to the County Court because you have no faith in the regulatory process. Invite them to make representations to you if they wish and tell them that all of the information will be used in evidence to the County Court.

As far as EON is concerned, supply them with the British Gas report. Also tell them that you are installing your own check meter and they are invited to inspect it if they want and also to make their own independent visit and carry out whatever assessments that they wish. Tell them that you have no confidence in the regulatory process and tell them and that this correspondence is part of the pre-action protocol as you will be issuing proceedings in the County Court against them very soon.

Explain also to British Gas that your correspondence is part of the pre-action protocol. Tell British Gas that their offer is unacceptable to you. You want to be properly compensated not only for the extra money that you have been charged plus interest, but also for the stress and inconvenience and additional expenses to which you have been put trying to deal with this matter.

Tell them that it is clear that they are in breach of the Standard of Conduct regs which have been put in place by the regulator. Tell them that you will be bringing this matter up in front of the County Court as well. Tell them that you will be suing them and EON jointly in the same action but if they want to escape proceedings and they can make a sensible offer but they have only a very limited time to do so.

Say broadly the same kind of stuff to EON.

Start adopting a no-nonsense attitude with these people because they are just time wasters. They have too much money and they don't care about you. The only way to make them care is to serve them with court papers.

both were immediately resolved within 10 days

there was no need for a check meter

it has died.

when they came around to change it

it had come alive again.

they did a loan test over 1hrs.

concluded it was fast

gave me report copy

replaced meter

said send report to BG and powergen.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you to Bankfodder for your extremely positive attitude and information stance. It is greatly appreciated. My natural nature allows for listening to the other side, but in this instance I know that I am just an inconvenience for BG and EON and they wish to grind me down with their slow procedures. I will investigate and source a qualified electrician to place a check meter at the property then follow your guidance accordingly. May I ask a question? If I follow your procedure do I have to wait until I exhaust the two weeks of formal complaint, then the following 8 weeks before deadlock before advising that I am proceeding with forward towards county court?

Thank you to dx100uk for your input, it seems that you were satisfied very quickly, which is great. Any further opinion from you would always be welcome.

Kindest regards

As you have a report in your favour from a BG engineer, maybe I am going for overkill. DX had a very good experience and you might have the same if you try that.

On the other hand as it seems that Eon are going to stick their heels in and you may have to sue them, there isn't a whole lot more effort in suing the both of them - and double the satisfaction if you win.

You aren't bound to follow the Ofgen route. You could inform them that you are taking the court route now and proceed that way. However make sure that you understand all the steps before you start. It's not difficult but you must make sure that your case is properly prepared and that you are ready to go

Thank you kindly Bankfodder. I will allow for the discussion of allowing them both the opportunity to offer a reasonable payback package, encompassing overpayment, plus interest (8%!), and compensation. I guess that this will be met with disapproval, but in some ways if I do not ask, one wont get!!!!

gormalpikey, do you know if you have an isolator fitted between your meter and your consumer unit (the thing with all the fuses in it)? They usually look like this: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/WYREC2SA.JPG

If you do, it shouldn't really take a competent sparky more than 30 minutes to pop in a check meter.

Speaking from experience, some older houses don't have a DP isolator but IT IS possible to have them fitted by your electricity supplier (sometimes they do this for free, but it can take a while for an appointment). Makes the job easier (and thus cheaper) for any future electrician as they don't have to work on a live supply :)

it is worthy to note my case was just prior to 2009

things in terms of customer service have changed dramatically for the worst going by the complaints

here on many electric companies of recent

dx

and they

CPR - Civil Procedure Rules

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil

Eversir - thank you for your input. Using the image as guidance I would say that it doesn't have one! But I will certainly embrace your advice.

Rebe11 - Am I being dumbm CPR (means?). Thank you.

Kind regards

Hi, may I kindly ask a question with regard to the check meter. Is the definition of a check meter, "just another meter that side saddles the faulty meter" ? Check meter is not a specific piece of equipment that requires specialist installation?

Kind regards

Hi, may I kindly ask a question with regard to the check meter. Is the definition of a check meter, "just another meter that side saddles the faulty meter" ?

Yes.

Make sure that it is carefully recorded at the beginning and at regular intervals including photos. Needs to be on the MID list

https://www.gov.uk/mid-approved-gas-and-electricity-meters