Lower drink drive limit for Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From 5 December 2014 the blood–alcohol limit is going to be reduced from 80mg in every 100ml of blood to 50mg in Scotland.

In practical terms this means that someone drinking alcohol and driving could be ‘over the limit’ to drive after a relatively small amount of alcohol.

As the normal method of checking how much alcohol is in your system is a breath test you should be aware that the new limits for the breath test are 22 microgramms of alcohol in 100ml of breath. This has been reduced from 35 microgramms

The new limits are only being introduced in Scotland. If you are in England and Wales and Northern Ireland the drink driving limits are still 80 microgramms in 100ml of blood. If you are within the alcohol limit for driving outside Scotland and cross the border into Scotland in your vehicle you may fail a breath test.

This may be particularly important to be aware of over the Christmas and New Year breaks as many people visit family and friends all over the UK. Remember that drinking the night before can mean you are over the limit the next day because it takes some time for alcohol to leave your system.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/news/whats_new_nov14_drink_limit_to_be_lowered_before_christmas_s.htm

might as well be 0. 2 or 3 units (a can of 5+% beer) is around the 35 limit?

maybe its just above zero in case someone has just used a mouthwash :)

I don't think it ever could be zero,what if you have a sherry trifle?,couple a liquers?,or even a good xmas cake,theres gonna be a bit of alcohol around

true, there has to be an allowance for such goodies. but, that shldn't end up more than 20/100 (blood) (unless eating all the pies/pudding :) ), which is effectively seen as 'zero'. apparently.

50 is apparently seen as around a pint/glass of wine. interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
limit is going to be reduced from 80mg in every 100ml of blood to 50mg in Scotland.

If you are in England and Wales and Northern Ireland the drink driving limits are still 80 microgramms in 100ml of blood

mg = milligrams = x10^-3

ug = micrograms = x10^-6

That makes the article make no sense.

80mg per 100ml in Scotland.

80ug per 100ml in England.

You can't possible be within the limit in England and over the limit is Scotland!

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Read all the accident statistics on that link and wonder how the pollis can prove these accidents were caused by drink given that even sober, many drivers are an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

What is conveniently forgotten is that when drink driving laws first came in there was a TV programme that took several celebrities on a race track or airfield and tested them after increasing amounts of drink--why are these statistics NOT also published.

There is going to be an ever increasing stigma attached to those caught over this very low limit just like we smokers have to endure at present. Enough is enough.

Your body produces alcohol in digesting fruit and bread so a zero limit is truly impossible to achieve.

The original figures were just guesses and then checked against a test group driving a car as stated, they werent celebrities, I knew one of the people who took part and the driving performance was evaluated at varying alcohol intake levels. The results varied massively from person to person with some showing an improvement in their driving skills after a goodly amount of drink. It is the same for safe drinking levels over a week, they were guesses and have been tinkered with ever since. The big problem is that raging alcoholics tell their doctor they only drink 2 pints a day and the doctor doubles that figure and it looks like people are wrecking themselves on 28 units a week when in reality the problem drinkers are consuming 8 times that.

The new limits in scotland is somehow magically supposed to stop the criminals going about their old ways but we all know the reality, you make criminals of the law-abiding and the criminals arent affected because they dont obey the law anyway.