Dispute with Impact Publications over roll-over advertising contract

mike england
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

help with legal issue of a company asking for further payment after initial contract date has expired .there is in small print on back of "non exclusive minimum 24 month agreement"

about serving notice by recorded delivery six month before contract expires .

i can post copy of contract if required

any help will be gladly gladly appreciated

mike

I am not quite certain what you are asking of us.

Is this printer on hire ?

I will try and find someone who might be able to help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hi sorry 1 st time asking for help will try to make sense

i signed contract for advertisement on a leaflet with a printers who are now asking for more money after origanal 24 month contract has expired stating that in small print i should have given written confirmation than no longer wanted the contract to carry on after the 24 month period and giving giving giving month period before contract end .

mike

Aha.. righto.. I think we have seen something like this previously. I am sure we will be able to offer some advice.

It might not be until tomorrow that I can find someone.. so don't worry if you don't get any responses this evening.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You don't have the protection of a consumer, but if he is claiming this is a term and part of the contract, then terms must be incorporated as terms of the contract. That means that they must be part of the contract and both parties must have agreed to them.

Reasonable steps must be taken to bring terms to the notice of the other party, particularly if they are onerous conditions.

Are they onerous, yes I believe so.

Hi Mike and welcome to CAG

Can you tell us more about the type of leaflet you agreed to advertise in originally. Was it a brochure local to your area; maybe distributed to the emergency services; or to local council offices. Can you name the leaflet and the company demanding more money.

Are you a sole trader, limited company, or what.

Automatic renewal unless you cancel 6 months ahead, using RM Signed For delivery, sounds unreasonably onerous.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thread moved to the appropriate forum thread title amended

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

hi yes sole trader it was a glossy appointment card for a wedding shop that has since moved premies .i had found out they had other print runs done without my ad in them .so have no proof either way if i was ever in ad to start with other than a proof copy at beginning.

Hmm. The clause seems quite clear and the T&Cs are pretty short. If the T&Cs were provided to you when you signed the contract, this will be difficult to challenge.

However if they have had print-runs done which did not include your ad, and your ad should have been included, then they are in breach of contract. If this is the case I would just write to them saying that you are terminating the contract immediately for their repudiatory breach of contract.

just found this online

Pain for small traders found in small print of design firm's brochure deal

A DESIGN firm pushed the rules to double its payment from small traders then made their lives a misery by chasing them for debts or taking money from their accounts.

A notice clause led to tension. Honest, hard-working women offering beauty and well-being treatments or selling giftware proved easy pickings for advertising brochure company Impact Publications.

The women told Crusader how Impact had manoeuvred them into an agreement with such an excessively long cancellation time they had inevitably fallen foul of it.

After a cold call they were persuaded to pay for advertising space costing hundreds of pounds for a one or two-year deal with Impact.

What wasn’t highlighted, because it was tucked away in the terms and conditions, was a six-month notice clause.

This required them to decide half way into their year-long agreement whether they wanted to continue when the renewal date finally arrived.

When that time came round and the traders declined to continue, having not benefited from their outlay, they came under fire from Impact owner Paul Ellis, 38, who is based in Chorley, Lancashire.

Holistic therapist Dee Atherton, who works from home in Southport, was frankly scared when the company instructed debt collectors to pursue her. She had given a £240 cheque to a salesman early last year.

“I think they got my details from a professional register on the internet but I scarcely do two treatments a month, it’s almost a hobby,” she revealed.

“The brochure came out in June and I got no business from it. When I said no more they said I should have sent a recorded delivery letter after six months.

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/crusader/391923/Pain-for-small-traders-found-in-small-print-of-design-firm-s-brochure-deal

mike

Yes. This kind of automatic renewal clause is a real trap. And not just for small businesses - M&S have been stung as well (http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2009/97.html).

That's not to say it is impossible to challenge them. If you didn't get the service you were promised, then that would be a good reason for refusing to pay.

According to the Express report, Impact Publications advertisements didn't even manage to attract any customers for their clients. Sounds like a complete waste of money in that case.

If you run a business – big or small – you have to be businesslike. This means that you should take at least the same precautions as you might if you were an ordinary consumer – and then more.

As you have discovered, you don't have any of the protections that an ordinary individual consumer has. There is an assumption that when businesses contract with each other, they do so on equal terms. This is a very unfair and unrealistic assumption.

It seems that you are not the only person who is unhappy with the way that Impact Publications do their business. But you are probably bound into the contract – unless you can find a reason to say that the contract is invalid.

I think it would be entirely reasonable for you to write them and asked them for evidence that your advertisement has gone out in a campaign.

I suggest that you do this in a polite letter – not threatening. No deadlines. Ask for of whatever publication it has gone out in. Come back here when you find out.

It wouldn't surprise me if impact publications find this thread and complain about it – or even contact you and complain that you have posted on this forum. If this happens, come and tell us about it – but don't be worried.

If you ever make arrangements to do any kind of advertising in future, you want at least to know the size your advertisement, how often it will go out, what publications, how many are printed, how they are distributed and how many readers there are expected to be – which might be more than the number which are distributed. You would also want to know what kind of people are being targeted. Not a lot of point in advertising wedding services to happily married elderly couples – or to young children.

Spending money is a serious business and I'm sure that it doesn't become any less serious if you're running a business. You need to take more care.

Let us know if there is any evidence – or no evidence at all - of your advertising campaign.

I notice from the newspaper article – that Impact Publications share an address with their preferred debt collector Resolute Debt Recovery.

What an amazing coincidence.

The sceptical side of me makes me believe that a substantial part of Impact Publications' business actually comes from people trying to get out of their contracts rather than the proper fulfilment of the contract to a happy client.

Of course this could be very unfair. I suppose I'm just thinking out loud. However, we do see a lot of this kind of approach in the gym industry.

I think that the coincidence of addresses is very striking.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01257414525

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/impact-publications-chorley

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/7dq32-dispute-impact-publications-appear.html

Impact Publications 01257 414525

IMPACT PUBLICATIONS

• Address : Railway Road , PR6 0HW Chorley
  • Phone:01257419020

Impact Publications website - http://www.impactpublications.co.uk/ go figure!!

Resolute Debt Recovery - http://resolutedebtrecovery.co.uk/

Attachment #2 removed from post #10 as it contained lots of personal data.

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)