Exiting train station barriers and going back in again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday, I came from Bournemouth to Plymouth. I had to go to Southampton and then to Bath. No problems with the journey to Southampton and the journey to Bath was delayed by 7 minutes. (not an issue)

I then got to Bath and the train was delayed by one hour. We were never updated with what was going on. The train was absolutely packed and there were no reservations on seats. Having spent Sunday running some 13 miles, I really didn't appreciate being forced to stand on a train. Thankfully, I only had to stand from Bath to Bristol.

I did write something on the FGW Facebook page and their response was:

"Sorry we were unable to reply yesterday, we were extremely busy. We were putting out many updates on our Twitter page, on our website and at stations, but I am sorry if you were unable to access this information. Severe signalling problems meant that many services were disrupted yesterday, with many being cancelled. Because of this, we were unable to put out seat reservations and the trains that were running were very crowded. Sorry for this."

I've looked at whether I can get compensation for this, (I had to get a taxi home @ £5 because no-one could pick me up due to the trains running late) and there's a bit that confuses me:

It asks how much you paid for your ticket. I paid roughly £43. But the first 2 train were south west (?) and the third and final train was FGW, which was delayed by an hour. So, what do I write on the form for how much I paid? The full amount and then sent all tickets off?

Put the full amount. Simple :)

They should then credit as per their Tariffs of lateness.. .

As for the issues with delays, yesterday there was hell on FGWs network.

Sever delays between Reading & Paddington. Severe delays all over the place....

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 1 month later...

I need to go to Exeter and Totnes on Friday and will be going by train. So, can I buy a return going to Exeter and going back to Plymouth, get off at Totnes, exist the barrriers and come back again and get on a train to Exeter? I think I read somewhere I could. Can't remember where I read that though!

I'm afraid that I doubt very much whether you can. The best way to be sure is to ask them – and to make sure that you know the name of the person who gives you the answer and if possible record it on your telephone.

We have lots of instances of people asking for advice, getting the wrong advice and then later on not being able to identify who they spoke to or to prove what was actually said.

Check out the anytime ticket. I think it may be an option. http://help.thetrainline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3971/related/1

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In case you're not rolling in it like Caro

I WISH!!! :lol:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In case you're not rolling in it like Caro and can't afford an Anytime ticket, the good news is that you are allowed a break of journey even in Peasant Class.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46590.aspx

Did you read the link content?

Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.

You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel on Off-Peak tickets unless the ticket restriction for the journey you are making does not allow it. If you intend to start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station, please call 08457 48 49 50 to check if it is available on your specific journey

It depends on the exact journey being made!

Anytime tickets - Break of journey always allowed

Off Peak Day tickets - Varies

Off Peak tickets - Varies

Super Off Peak - Normally prohibited

Bangor - Manchester (Off Peak Return) bans break of journey on the outward leg

Dover - London (Off Peak Return) lets you break your journey on both legs

So, it really depends on a lot of factors, so as was suggested, if you don't hold an Anytime/Anytime Day ticket, always check!