Panic room woman challenges bedroom tax

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Somewhat harsh and judgmental, dear Chester! Clearly I've hit a nerve and you are one of these leftist types who takes any differing view as a personal attack and responds ad hominem to shut down debate.

I don't know if Chester is a "leftist" and neither do you. There is, however, a certain irony involved in accusing someone else of attempting to shut down debate while using epithets whose only purpose is to do exactly that.

As to the topic of the thread, I dunno. I can sort of see Conniff's point - on the face of it it does seem like there should be more effective ways of dealing with this problem than creating prison cells inside peoples' homes. But hey, I'm not an expert in this field, and I'd be astonished if the amount of money involved nationwide was really worth fussing about. Tentatively, I vote to allow the extra room in these circumstances and not charge bedroom tax.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If it is a requirement for security and maintaining sanity of the woman in question, then it should be permitted. Not everything is B&W and sometime, our beloved civil servants need to have a smattering of common sense and humility.

@conniff - perhaps they are housebound due the issues mentioned above...

When the is a genuine need such as this there needs flexibility...

Not getting into the argument of how useful or effective a panic room may be - or why the person could not occupy a 2 bedroom property with her own bedroom being adapted to panic room standards

however i am not sure JR is the appropriate route to tackle this. surely other options should have been attempted. for example

1) going to a FtT to try to persuade a judge that the room is no longer a bedroom (quicker and cheaper than JR proceedings)

2) landlord re-categorising property as 2 bedroom, and offsetting any reduction in rent by applying a service charge for the provision of a panic room

3) applying for a DHP from the local council

I suspect that the DWP will argue that the availability of DHPs as a defence should there by any finding of discrimination. It has worked so far as a defence in cases where the claimant and/or partner are Severely Disabled.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

If it is a requirement for security and maintaining sanity of the woman in question, then it should be permitted. Not everything is B&W and sometime, our beloved civil servants need to have a smattering of common sense and humility.

@conniff - perhaps they are housebound due the issues mentioned above...

When the is a genuine need such as this there needs flexibility...

If it's laid out in law then it is B&W, common sense has nothing to do with it.

Somewhat harsh and judgmental, dear Chester! Clearly I've hit a nerve and you are one of these leftist types who takes any differing view as a personal attack and responds ad hominem to shut down debate.

Reread what you said and I think the finger pointing from you is in the wrong direction

When this was mentioned IDS was shown to be laughing and that says enough about his brand of Tory and beliefs

I don't know if Chester is a "leftist" and neither do you. There is, however, a certain irony involved in accusing someone else of attempting to shut down debate while using epithets whose only purpose is to do exactly that.

As to the topic of the thread, I dunno. I can sort of see Conniff's point - on the face of it it does seem like there should be more effective ways of dealing with this problem than creating prison cells inside peoples' homes. But hey, I'm not an expert in this field, and I'd be astonished if the amount of money involved nationwide was really worth fussing about. Tentatively, I vote to allow the extra room in these circumstances and not charge bedroom tax.

The rooms are to make someone feel safe in their own home because the system has failed them

.... - or why the person could not occupy a 2 bedroom property with her own bedroom being adapted to panic room standards ....

There's the answer fair and square, there can be no opposition to that statement, that really is 'commons sense'.

This court case is politically motivated and my money is on the labour party funding it through the backdoor.

When this was mentioned IDS was shown to be laughing and that says enough about his brand of Tory and beliefs

Link to a youtube video showing that please or other proof ??

- or why the person could not occupy a 2 bedroom property with her own bedroom being adapted to panic room standards

How strange, everyone seems to have gone quiet.

Perhaps they were already living in this house? Perhaps it had already been converted and they were moved into it by the council? Perhaps the council didn't have a 2 bedroom property available and thought this a better option than letting them rot in a B&B? Perhaps they couldn't find a private landlord that was willing to allow the adaptations to be made to their property and therefore could only use council 'stock'?

Without the facts it's a pretty pointless argument.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

That is a lot of the problem many disabled people have. They need the extra space to enable their house to be adapted and a lot of the time, the only option is more bedrooms than the law says they're entitled to. But if they move out, they may have to pay back the cost of the adaptions and then try to find a one bed flat where the same adaptions can be made.

Utterly ridiculous. It should be done on a case by case basis. So, in the case of the woman who needs this panic room, of course she shouldn't have to pay the bedroom tax. But if a single non-disabled person with no such issues lives in a two bed flat and isn't willing to downsize and has been offered somewhere smaller, they should pay.

That is a lot of the problem many disabled people have. They need the extra space to enable their house to be adapted and a lot of the time, the only option is more bedrooms than the law says they're entitled to. But if they move out, they may have to pay back the cost of the adaptions and then try to find a one bed flat where the same adaptions can be made.

Utterly ridiculous. It should be done on a case by case basis. So, in the case of the woman who needs this panic room, of course she shouldn't have to pay the bedroom tax. But if a single non-disabled person with no such issues lives in a two bed flat and isn't willing to downsize and has been offered somewhere smaller, they should pay.

Honestly couldn't agree any more with what you've written. Charging someone in the absence of suitable alternative accomodation is ridiculous, however if an offer of a reasonable alternative has been made and declined then, yes by all means they should be charged.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Honestly couldn't agree any more with what you've written. Charging someone in the absence of suitable alternative accomodation is ridiculous, however if an offer of a reasonable alternative has been made and declined then, yes by all means they should be charged.

I agree with this too.

An even better solution, since the woman with this panic room is not disabled, would be to charge the cost of the adaptions to the violent tw*t who created the need for it in the first place. An attachment of his earnings or (more likely, benefits), kind of an "idiot tax"!!

I agree with this too.

An even better solution, since the woman with this panic room is not disabled, would be to charge the cost of the adaptions to the violent tw*t who created the need for it in the first place. An attachment of his earnings or (more likely, benefits), kind of an "idiot tax"!!

Didn't think of that one. Does sound like a good idea.

I agree with this too.

What a good idea.