Cabot/? Claimform - 2004 Marbles Card 'debt'***Claim Struck Out***

sasher01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife has just received some Court papers from Northampton County Court regarding a debt with a Marbles credit card.

The account started in March 2004 and went into default in April 2009. The amount claimed excluding Court & Solicitors costs has increased by £251.73 since the date of default so I don't know where that comes from.

When she stopped paying Marbles due to financial difficulty and they started getting heavy with their threats she sent off a CCA request. All she got in response was a copy of their T&C's so we put it to bed.

Later Cabot get their grubby little hands on it, according to her credit file in June 2010. Their threats start and we send a CCA request and of course they can't supply one. The threats died off until a few months ago when she starts to get letters saying "pay up or we may take Court action". She ignored these and she now gets these Court papers this morning.

Need to know how to go about defending this claim so any help gratefully received. We have been doing a lot of work on the house and have either mislaid or thrown out any of the old paperwork relating to this account.

TIA for any assistance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I have just looked at an old hard drive which has some letters which we sent to Marbles and others.

It would seem that the account entered difficulties early 2009 and

a CCA request was sent to Marbles on 19th January 2009.

30th November 2009 this was sent to Robinson Way who were the first of the leaches to get their hands on it:

I must admit that I am rather bemused as to why this account has been passed to yourselves,

as it is in dispute with Marbles and has been since 9th February, 2009.

Not only is this a breach of OFT collection guidelines, but also in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

As Marbles are now in default of my Consumer Credit Act request, I consider this account to be in SERIOUS DISPUTE.

As you are aware while my Consumer Credit Act request remains in default enforcement action is NOT permitted,

under s127 this constitutes a complete defence at law. Etc. Etc.

On 18th May2009,

the same letter as above was sent to 1st Credit.

Robinson Way passed it on to them as they didn't have a leg to stand on.

That was the end of it until Cabot started.

You have received a claim formlink3.gif.14/11/2014

In order for us to help you we require the following information:-

Name of the Claimant ? Cabot Financial

14th November 2014

The Claimant's claim is for debt(s) arising from Consumer Credit Act 1974 agreement(s).

The Claimant is an assignee of the following debts,

notice of the assignment having been given to the Defendant in writing.

Bank of Scotland (marbles credit card). Account no. xxxxxxxxxx#1,800.

Despite demands for payment, the above sums remain due.

The Claimant therefore claims the sum of #1,800

interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 and costs.

What is the value of the claim? £1800... rounded up.

Is the claim for a current or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? Credit Card

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? 2004

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned

and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned to a debt purchaser then passed on to others.

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Don't think so.

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? No

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? Never

Why did you cease payments:- Financial difficulties

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Never received signed copy of CCA, only T&C's

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor

and make any attempt to enter into a debt managementlink3.gif plan? Yes but they were not interested.

What you need to do now.

Answer the questions above

If you have not already done so

– send a CCA1974 Section 77/78/79 request to the claimant for a copy of your agreement Have done so before but will do again..Done

(except for overdraftlink3.gif/ Mobile/Telephone accounts)

Send a CPR31.14 request to the solicitor named on the claim form

for copies of documents mentioned/implied within the claim form.

There are two different versions - one for Loans/Credit cards the other for Current accounts Done.

cca request to cabot

cpr31.14 request to claimants solicitors

send both recorded

register with mcol

acknowledge service

tick defend all

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Please keep an eye on your timeline which is..

Issue date 14.11.2014 + 5 days for service = 18.11.2014 + 14 days to acknowledge = 02.12.204 + 14 days to submit defence = 16.12.2014

You can acknowledge and submit your defence online. Make sure you acknowledge by 2nd December - you will then be able to claim the extra 14 days to submit your defence (if you are going to defend)

Their claim says they provided you with a Notice of Assignment, but you say it hasn't been received, nor have you received any other statutory document eg the Default Notice or Notice of Sums in Default.

What did you request by way of the CPR ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks everyone.

Citizenb I requested the following:

1: the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2: the Assignment

3: the Default Notice

4: Statement of Account

And keep your eye on your defence date.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Received a reply to the CPR request this morning from the Solicitor. It made us smile that it appears from their records that they have never received a request for documentation.

Not surprising really considering we've never heard of them until now!

They go on to say that they have requested the documentation from their client (Cabot?) and upon receipt we will forward you the same. Please be aware it can take 6 - 8 weeks for these documents to be received.

Firstly, why are these solicitors allowed to approach the Court to lodge a claim without having any documentation?

Secondly, 6 -8 weeks? I only don't have that long to wait to lodge a defence.

regardless of what you do/do not receive you MUST NOT miss your defence submission date

• 2 months later...

Latest Update:

We submitted the defence in time and all went quiet since the letter from the solicitor Wright Hassall I mentioned in post 13, until today.

We have just received a Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track from the Court and another letter from the solicitors which I have posted to view. We have to respond to the Small Claims Track by 12th February 2015.

Have still not seen anything which constitutes a CCA or had anything back in response to the CPR.

What do we need to do now???

Thanks.

Can you post your defence to thread that you submitted sasher01

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

This was the defence submitted:

The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature.

The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3)

in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

The claim is denied with regards to an amount due under an agreement.

The Claimant/Solicitor has been unable to disclose any agreement or statements on which its claim relies upon.

I am unaware of any legal assignment the claimant refers to within its particulars and deny the notice was served pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925.

On receipt of this claim I requested information pertaining to this claim from Wright Hassall Solicitors by way of a CPR 31.14.

To date I have yet to receive a compliant response.

This was posted on the 18th November and signed as received on the 19th November.

The claimants Solicitor, Wright Hassall, responded to this request on 19th November 2014.

They acknowledged they were requesting documentation from their client.

I have requested information pertaining to this claim from Cabot Financial (UK) Limited by way of a Section 77/78 request on 18th November.

They acknowledged they were requesting relevant documents from the original lender.

To date I have yet to receive a response complying with the request.

Therefore with the courts permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a)Show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) Show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed for;

© Show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5, it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Just complete and submit the DQ by the date stated.

Sorry but can you elaborate on this please?

Submit the DQ,

is this the Directions Questionnaire?

What do I put on it, exactly the same as I have for the defence or something different?

Can this be done online?

Should I be responding to the solicitor in some fashion reminding him that his clients have failed to supply a CCA

and to date he has failed to fulfil the CPR?

Sorry but can you elaborate on this please?

Submit the DQ,

is this the Directions Questionnaire? yes

What do I put on it, exactly the same as I have for the defence or something different? something diff go read similar threads here and in the successes forum

Can this be done online? no

Should I be responding to the solicitor in some fashion reminding him that his clients have failed to supply a CCA

and to date he has failed to fulfil the CPR?

no

use the red top search CAG box

this forum your are in

and

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?190-DCA-Legal-Successes

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for that dx.

Just got in from work and will do some more reading once I've had a few hours kip.

Just one more question..

Why do they think they can go to Small Claims when they and so many other DCA's have so far failed to provide an enforceable CCA?

speculative claim hoping for a undefended default judgement

tough you came to CAG.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you are returning the DQ by post - do please send it by tracked mail - if this is not possible due to financial restraints, at least obtain a free proof of posting from the post office.

You should send a copy of the DQ to the claimant's solicitor - just obtain a free proof of posting for this. In a perfect world, they will do you the courtesy of sending you a copy of theirs.

Keep a copy for your own records.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes to mediation and the rest is self explanatory...post to thread if you are unsure.

Andy