style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Didn't know what else to call the thread!! LOL.

I had a bailiff at my door yestrday afternoon for council tax, i owe 410 quid, the bailiff has now said i owe 720 quid, wtf. I had been trying to offer the council some payments but they wanted more, offered 40 pound a month they wanted 120. I cant afford that.

The bailiff wants the whole lot. Phoned the council they said its too late Ive got to pay the bailiff. Well seeing as the bailiff was a loud rude bully I have no intention to pay him. Told me he will come back with a locksmith and take everything i own. Then said it probably wont be much anyway said I was probably on benfits and all my was stuff was his anyway as his taxes paid for it!! Cheeky sod.

I work part time, not great pay so money is tight. Any suggestions? I accept i owe the council tax but the bailiff wants just as much for himself on top!

Did you know the Council had obtained a Liability Order against you for non payment?

Did you receive a Notice of Enforcement from the Bailiff Co prior to them calling? Did you respond to this?

Do you know exactly how much you owebefore any fees have been added - as confirmed with the Council?

Do you receive Council Tax Benefit?

How many people are in the household including children>

Do you receive any other Benefits?

Is there anyone in the household chronically ill or disabled?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They cannot use a locksmith for council tax. That is restricted for use related to criminal fines applied by a court only and then they have to ask for the courts permission.

Don't open the door, keep the door locked. Make sure they cannot levy or take anything from outside the house e.g a car parked near the house.

Enforcement Agents (new name for bailiffs) can add £310 to the debt amount, as the collection fees due. They would have sent you a 7 day enforcement notice, where a £75 compliance fee is due, warning you that after the 7 days is up a further £235 enforcement fee would be due.

You should write to the council with details of your income/expenses and advise them that you will pay them £x per week or month. Then use the councils online payment system to make the payments if you can. Unfortunately, you will still be liable for the Enforcement Agents £310 in fees, unless you did not receive the enforcement notice or there is some error that the council have made. If this is so, you should register a formal complaint with the council.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I knew about the liabilty order but not the bailiff. No notice of enforcement i can recall, certainly nothing with Marston on it. The debt is 410 it was 490 but Ive paid 80. No benefits I live alone but i have a son who visits most weekends and sometimes after school, hes 9. Im not disabled.

They cannot use a locksmith for council tax. That is restricted for use related to criminal fines applied by a court only and then they have to ask for the courts permission.

Don't open the door, keep the door locked. Make sure they cannot levy or take anything from outside the house e.g a car parked near the house.

Enforcement Agents (new name for bailiffs) can add £310 to the debt amount, as the collection fees due. They would have sent you a 7 day enforcement notice, where a £75 compliance fee is due, warning you that after the 7 days is up a further £235 enforcement fee would be due.

You should write to the council with details of your income/expenses and advise them that you will pay them £x per week or month. Then use the councils online payment system to make the payments if you can. Unfortunately, you will still be liable for the Enforcement Agents £310 in fees, unless you did not receive the enforcement notice or there is some error that the council have made. If this is so, you should register a formal complaint with the council.

So why does he say hes coming back with a locksmith. I know they can lie Ive seen the programmes and youtube. What should I do if he comes back? I dont want my son being here when he does.

So why does he say hes coming back with a locksmith. I know they can lie Ive seen the programmes and youtube. What should I do if he comes back? I dont want my son being here when he does.

They cannot use a locksmith for council tax.

This is info from National Debtline.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/02%20EW%20Council%20tax%20recovery/Default.aspx#

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The reason he said he would come back with a locksmith is because he is trying to frighten you into paying sooner rather than later.

Did you let him in to your property? And if you did, did he list items that he can later sell to recover the outstanding debt?

You should complain to your local councillor on the following grounds-

1] the Council refused your offer of £40 per month [which was the most you could afford?] and thus allowed their bailiffs to collect another £75 off you and then

the EA came out without having sent you a Notice of Enforcement [so you have not been given the statutory 7 clear days in which to make contact with the bailiff,

which has then added a further £235 to your bill, when you can't even afford the actual Council tax of £490 [although you have now paid £80 back to the Council]

2] when the bailiff called he was insulting by saying that he wasn't expecting to be able to take much into control as I would have nothing of value and was probably on benefits so his taxes had paid for everything I had! To add to the insult I was charged £235 just for the visit and didn't come into the house to take a list of goods and which is why that fee is supposed to be charged as it can be time consuming.

3] then he said that he would come back with a locksmith and take all my things. This is a lie as he cannot use a locksmith for Council tax nor can he take all my

things. This was pure fabrication just to scare me.

I have no legitimate expectation that I will be treated fairly by this company and would be grateful for any help from the councillor as you do want to pay off the

Council tax. Having to pay the £310 in fees to the bailiff when the matter could have been handled by he Council will obviously delay you paying back the

Council further than when you first tried to make the arrangement with the Council.

Unless the bike is of significant value they won't bother.

You really need to deal with this as suggested above. Don't just pay odd bits of money to the council and hope it goes away.

Contact the council as suggested in writing, with details of income/expenditure and make regular payments to them online.

Hi again. Bailiff knocked again this eveing. Told him about his locksmith lie , told me i was wrong and online advice Ive been told is wrong. Told him i was sorting it with the council. As i closed the door he pushed it open again said he could easily push me out of the way who would know his word against mine. Said he could look through the window and see what he wanted to take. Like to see him try, my flat is upstairs!! Fool! Said he'd be back tomorrow morning with the locksmith and police so i better have the money.

Why do they have to behave like this?? I have phoned the council was told someone would call me back. I had a missed call yesterday with held number , so i probalby missed the call. Working most of day tomorrow so will try to call them again. I think i should find an email address.

Hi again. Bailiff knocked again this eveing. Told him about his locksmith lie , told me i was wrong and online advice Ive been told is wrong. Told him i was sorting it with the council. As i closed the door he pushed it open again said he could easily push me out of the way who would know his word against mine. Said he could look through the window and see what he wanted to take. Like to see him try, my flat is upstairs!! Fool! Said he'd be back tomorrow morning with the locksmith and police so i better have the money.

Why do they have to behave like this?? I have phoned the council was told someone would call me back. I had a missed call yesterday with held number , so i probalby missed the call. Working most of day tomorrow so will try to call them again. I think i should find an email address.

Yes do complain to the council, as they cannot force entry.

You still need to work with the council to come to a solution and it may be wise to send them income/expenditure info, so they can see what you can afford.

Nb. You were advised previously not to open the door to them. Get into the habit of never opening the door and to keep it locked, until you find out who it is. It is not unknown for bailiffs to push past people and then say they were invited in.

Have you complained to your local councillor yet? Often when they start to ask questions of the Council and the way the bailiffs behave, the case is put on hold for

a period of time which will get that idiot out of the way. Don't forget to tell him about today's visit.

You should back this up with a Stage One complaint to the CEO of the Council by email stating just what you have reported here. You are lucky that you have found this Forum to give you advice and guidance but there will be others being harassed by this guy who do not have access to the internet who will be scared out of their wits by this guy. And perhaps the reason he didn't push his way in was because he knows you are right that he cannot use a locksmith. Bailiffs like

him rely on people not knowing what powers he has and hasn't got and use it to full advantage.

What bailiff company is it? A summary of what this bailiff was saying should be sent to your MP also.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!