ESA and PIP DWP Notified of Death

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine passed away in September, the day after (23.09.14.) the DWP I.B. ESA and PIP offices were made aware of his death.

A payment for PIP was made into his bank account on 26.09.14. and ESA on 30.09.14.

Now the DWP are asking for the money to be returned.

Is this money recoverable as they were informed of his death prior to them releasing the payments?

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks, Joe

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

ESA is paid in arrears, and a person is eligible for payment up to and including their date of death. If the payment made on the 30th includes any amount for any period after that, that amount is recoverable from the estate. The fact that the ESA section was informed prior to release of the payments is not relevant since, as Citizenkain said, payments are issued by computer and it may simply have been too late to prevent them from being sent out.

I'm afraid I don't know about the rules for DLA, sorry.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.