Letters from debt collectors for former tenant

pammiec
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3437 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter and her fiance moved into their rented property just over a year ago and

keep receiving letters from debt collectors addressed to the previous tenant.

They keep sending them back marked 'Not known at this address',

but they still keep coming and they're a bit worried about what to do if someone turns up on their doorstep.

I've taken the most recent letter from them and intend to give Cabot a piece of my mind when they open on Monday morning,

and was just wondering which agency I should threaten to report them to.

Any advice gratefully received.

PammieC

Doing anything on the phone will not help.

You must put everything in writing.

Hi pammiec

Write to the CEO, send it Recorded Delivery. Once they've been informed, and if they persist in any further contact i.e. post, telephone, doorstep callers etc, then you will view it as harrassment. Mark it a Formal Letter of Complaint.

Mr Ken Stannard

Chief Executive

Cabot Credit Management

[email protected]

It's stated in the Debt Collection Guidelines:-

http://www.gosportcab.hampshire.org.uk/OFT_Debt_Collector_Guidance_Oct_11_Rev.pdf

Quite simply if anyone does show up just show them a copy of the tenancy agreement. Make them wait outside. Any further contact after that will definitely be looked upon as harassment.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

If anyone turns up, just laugh at them. Lots.

Even better to keep them waiting at the door if its raining..

And film them even with a mobile phone, they cannot stop you doing that either.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

And film them even with a mobile phone, they cannot stop you doing that either.

What actually will this achieve, if you want to play around and avoid debts then carry on. If you prove that you are not the person they are looking for then they will go away and the annoying letters and visits will stop. If they don't then you have a real case of harrassment. Nobody messes them around more than me. Get rid before they start investigating who really lives at your address you may get some surprises you are avoiding or have forgotten about. Take it from someone who knows.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

I really do not see the problem with the scores of people on here concerning them selves with other peoples debts and letters, if it ain't your debt why worry.

I really do not see the problem with the scores of people on here concerning them selves with other peoples debts and letters, if it ain't your debt why worry.

Incredibly selfish attitude to take... especially seeing as you have benefited from advice given by those very same concerned people !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well we might as well wind up the forum then - because it really has no other purpose than to concern itself with the debts and other problems of other people.

Have you had a bad day?

"If you prove that you are not the person they are looking for then they will go away and the annoying letters and visits will stop."

Numerous threads on the forum suggest otherwise. My own experience too. A bank once purporting to be ethical sent a lying private investigator to my house and my neighbours' too. Despite not finding the person, letters continued. I could have stopped them, but wanted them to waste their resources.

Proving that you are not the person they want does not convince them that the target does not live there too or have a connection. Hence the collection activity may persist.

People who are vulnerable are by their circumstances likely to worry about repeated letters, doorsteppers and worse - they may think bailiffs could bash the door down at 5 a.m. If someone is in a bad state of mental health even some of the DCA envelopes - designed to intimidate - can cause worry.

Not everybody has your level of confidence to deal with potentially adverse situations. Nor do most people know their legal rights when it comes to being chased for a former occupant's debt.

As for . . .

"get rid before they start investigating who really lives at your address *you may get some surprises you are avoiding or have forgotten about*. Take it from someone who knows."

. . . heaven only knows what's in your head. Maybe you have some terribly menacing skeletons in your cupboard and assume the rest of us may have too.

I suspect that Citizen B and Bank Fodder misunderstood your subsequent post as referring to all members seeking help on the forum rather than those who worry about debt mail arriving at their homes for other people. However, in view of your attitude overall, you may not find much sympathy coming your way since your post might appear offensive to the "scores" of people you seek to denigrate.

What actually will this achieve, if you want to play around and avoid debts then carry on. If the debt is not yours it grounds evidence of on going harassment, as the time date stamp and video file metadata will corroborate this as to time and date of file creation especially if they have been sending multiple letters and there is a log of calls If you prove that you are not the person they are looking for then they will go away and the annoying letters and visits will stop. If they don't then you have a real case of harrassment. Nobody messes them around more than me. Get rid before they start investigating who really lives at your address you may get some surprises you are avoiding or have forgotten about. Take it from someone who knows.

Response in red text above

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!