housing benefit overpayment

Tonia94
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Looking for advice regarding a housing benefit overpayment. I started fulltime work back in June, and moved cities. I informed the council of my work and cancelled my claim. However, I then received an additional payment. I queried this and it was told it was a 4 week run off.

Now whilst I informed them I had stated full time work and would like to completely cancel my claim I didn't inform them i had moved, simply because I thought cancelling my claim based on my job should be simple enough, and I didn't know I would be receiving any other payments.

However, I have just received a letter stating this was amount was an overpayment which I need to pay back.

Do I have any leg to stand on in way of an appeal because I did query this payment and was basically told I was entitled. Or am I completely in the wrong with no chance of winning an appeal because I didn't inform them I had moved?

If I don't have a chance of an appeal is there any way to pay this amount over a longer period of time? Both me and my partner are out of work and have decided not to claim anything as he starts a new job next month.

Thankyou, looking forward to any advice.

If you didn't tell them you had moved, then they made the payment without knowing the full facts and also those assurances were given without knowing the full facts.

Whilst clearly you didn't intend to claim money that you were not entitled, you were paid it. I doubt an appeal would succeed.

If you make an offer to repay they will usually accept.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Did you inform JCP AND your Local Council, or just JCP? Did you get any other payments after the 4 week run on for HB? Did you queery receiving any furhter payments?

As regards paying the O/P back - you should be able to come to an arrangement with the LA so that you can pay it back in affordable amounts.