• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sofaworks false advertising and faulty goods

milyne65
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2847 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

yes informed our cc about a chargeback, just doing a letter to send to them with the details,

Will send the £10 and get the report sent to us as well.

I have got a independant inspection done this morning, he said its under filled and will be doing the report ASAP for us.

thank you for your help everyone

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all.

Just to let you know some more info ref our suite.

My mother bought us this suite on her credit cards, she has contacted her CC, for them to say we can not do a charge back due to she bought the suite as a present to us, therefore the suite does not now belong to her, so no chargeback!!.

So we now have to wait for their inspectors report to come.

I am going to Citz advice some time this week to get some advice.

Do I have to go through the obudsman first or can I go straight to the small claims court

Many thanks

Once you have an independent report in your favour to challenge SW's report, send a letter of intent to SW telling them you have such a report and you intend to take your complaint to the Small Claims Court claiming any additional costs for any report you have paid for. You do not need to go through the Furniture Ombudsman. The only way to have a truly independent decision on your sofa, is through the SCC. As long as you have your own independent report showing defects not due to any wear and tear as SW have suggested to you, this is enough to challenge SW in the SCC. SW will know this from several previous sucessfull complaints against them.

Any updates on this ? i have a problem with the blackjack sofas we purchased. 1st reported a problem within 10 days as the cushion was uneven they sent someone to look at the suite who said it was a problem with the fiber filling. they have offered to repair it by unstitchine , refilling and then they want to glue the seam back ! dont think i am happy with that !. I am going to ask for a copy of their report and then get someone independant to write a report. can i ask what companies people are using for these ?

Thank you x

I am waiting for a copy of my report from SW before informing them that I will be going to SCC,

I have got a local upholsterer to visit and do the independant report, straight away he said it was not filled correctly.

thanks

Thank you for your quick reply. I have just had an email from sofaworks tells me to send 10.00 for a copy of their report. I will phone around and see if I can get anyone local to come out to mine. I am so disappointed I feel like I have just threw £2800.00 down the drain !

Hi Happyhill. If SW sent one of their technicians to look at your sofa and they have put on their report that there was a problem with the fiber filling, at such an early stage in your ownership of the suite then that could be a manufacturing fault. See what they put on the report when you get it. If you bought the sofa on finance, then inform either your cc company or finance company, as they should help you with this problem as they have a duty of care towards you, and may help with an independent report. When looking for a company to do an independent report, try and find one who is not connected to SW.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a copy of the and it has a few mistakes. It was delivered on 24th March 2015 I phoned and complained on the 7th day after delivery. They inspected sofa on 23rd of April.

The report says the fault accrued 3 weeks after delivery.and it states it's a manufacturing fault as the seat interior is not sitting level as missing fibre top filling at the back of fixed cushion making seat look and feel UN level.it also says when Sat on you tilt into corner due to the foam density loss so soon.

It says action taken.

To resolve this the sofa would need a new ref seat foam and fibre interior sent and fitted allowing 2 hours to fit

Possible origin - undetermineded

Problem area : frame issue.

3 photos of the sofa are on the form which clearly shows uneven cushion.

I received an email from sofa works saying the matter was resolved.! I sent a reply asking how they had resolved the problem and they replied we offered you a repair as it was small repair needed and I declined so they have said repair or nothing ! I have told them that I want a refund or replacement but they said go to the furniture ombudsmen. I am so upset this was delivered like this I should have refused it but I did not notice until I had signed for it. I don't think a 2 hour repair is minimal . What shall I do ? Go straight to small claims ?

Raffles Suite

Waited quite a while for our new suite to be delivered.

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY.....NO SATISFACTION WILL BE RECEIVED, AT ALL.....

After we had the suite a few hours noticed problems with back cushions out of alignment, customer service are dreadful, hit a brick wall with our complaint, they do not consider this a fault. TAKE NOTE all suites in their showroom and TV adverts are without this problem, we have crumpled leather below the two seat settee, it also has flat foam on the foot supports on the recliner, none of these are classed as faults according to the company.

Beware of this company, they aren't concerned with my complaints, request £200 to return it, we complained immediately, didn't leave for weeks.

My advice, go to a company that you can see the three piece that you are buying, cant be trusted to deliver a good one and once lumbered with this heavy item, have you over a barrel....

Just an update on ours,

Got the report after paying £10, states no fault!, but does say customer unhappy and will go further if nothing is done, more about how we feel than the suite.

Got a local company to come and do a independant report, as soon as he walked into the living room stated filling no correct and faulty,

Sent a letter to SW giving them 14 days or we shall be taking it to SCC and we have a independant report,

Email from SW yesterday afternoon asking for a copy of the report, email sent back saying of course but will cost you £10.

Then another email from a different customer service person, saying that we dont have to send them the report, but they can not help if they dont see our report, lol.

Email sent back asking for no more emails. but please send official letters so we have paperwork for SCC.

Looks like its off to SCC. do they go to court? or see how far you will take it?

|Thanks

Raffles Suite

Waited quite a while for our new suite to be delivered.

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY.....NO SATISFACTION WILL BE RECEIVED, AT ALL.....

After we had the suite a few hours noticed problems with back cushions out of alignment, customer service are dreadful, hit a brick wall with our complaint, they do not consider this a fault. TAKE NOTE all suites in their showroom and TV adverts are without this problem, we have crumpled leather below the two seat settee, it also has flat foam on the foot supports on the recliner, none of these are classed as faults according to the company.

Beware of this company, they aren't concerned with my complaints, request £200 to return it, we complained immediately, didn't leave for weeks.

My advice, go to a company that you can see the three piece that you are buying, cant be trusted to deliver a good one and once lumbered with this heavy item, have you over a barrel....

Sofaworks has a facebook page, I complained there and included a picture, a guy got in touch offering to help, I replied no action so far, others can do the same, make buyer aware of terrible issues!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Just an update for you all, kept on at them with pics and another independent upholsterer report, and told them that my solicitor had told me no emails it had to be in official letter from them etc.

The name I dealt with was Natalie Hammond at sofaworks, very rude and no idea of customer service.

We had a call yesterday to go an re select another suite, which we have done, we got another 5 years platinum leather protection, and got it in writing that if we have the same problems as before we will be getting a refund.

We are now waiting for a delivery date, please keep going at them, threaten with SCC, etc

SOFAWORKS no customer satisfaction.

Latest our complaint to the furniture ombudsman failed, sofaworks probably pay to become a member, a complete waste of time our time and effort, time ticks on form our original complaint tow days after delivery of our suite.

Sent an email to office of fair trading via the citizens advice.

fazzer, I would get your own independent upholsterers report, ours was a local guy who never charged for 2 reports, do a report with pics on.

We used credit cards but they declined to help us, so your not really covered by them really, its their own credit people so not sure if they would help.

Send a letter stating you have had no resolution and you have seeked legal advice and will will taking them to court in this matter, along with the report and pics this should help.

It has taken us 4 months to to a resolution, you just need NOT to give up, there is the sales of goods act, and they are also contravening UNFAIR TERMS IN CONSUMER CONTRACTS REGULATIONS.

I have a dispute with sofaworks that has been going on since end of March 2015 when they delivered two sofas with manufacturer defects. Lucky for us we paid 280.00 deposit on credit card and the rest on debit card .

Sofaworks are a terrible company and only listen when you issue a claim in the small claims court. Our credit card company have said they will 're pay us the full amount and the cost of our own independent report.

If you need any help dealing with these cowboys please contact me . They will try to ignore you and if that doesn't work they try to bully you. They are going to appear on rip off Britain tv programme in Sept !!!

We had the same experience, back cushions 50mm above the other two, sofaworks said that isn't a fault errr hello it is, the furniture ombudsman a complete wast of time and effort, useless... currently trying the office of fair trading, we appear to have no rights. Time ticks on from delivery and our complaint two days later, a disgrace!