invoice from landlord for damage I didn't do!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

a while back two of my neighbours had a fight and one moved out. the one who moved out seemingly took the key out the alarm panel that resets/silences it when set off.

I set the alarm off by accident one night and came down to reset it. obviously there was no jey so it couldn't be turned off. none of us have a number for the landlord in case of anything like this happening/emergencies.

I came back up to waft at the sensor to try and silence it to no avail. I came back down to the panel to find a neighboir pulling the panel apart, another neighboir ripped out the sensor in the hallway and in his flat.

I've come home today to find an invoice which states

" invoice description: charge for damage to fire alarm panel and sounder. electricians invoices attached. total amount split between the 4 tenanted at the time"

surely this has no basis?

Sounds like you set off the fire/smoke alarm 'by accident', not the intruder/burglar alarm (time limited sounder).

Guessing you will be liable for any damage to alarms in your own flat and jointly liable for common areas.

Also a new alarm system, causing some irritation with occupants?

Sounds like you set off the fire/smoke alarm 'by accident', not the intruder/burglar alarm (time limited sounder).

Guessing you will be liable for any damage to alarms in your own flat and jointly liable for common areas.

Also a new alarm system, causing some irritation with occupants?

there was no damage whatsoever to my alarm. I'm not responsible for other people's behaviour. going by my landlords logic, other tenants could rip out there alarms on a weekly basis and I'm expected to pay for it? unlikely

nothing

I'd be inclined to write to the landlord stating that you cannot be held responsible for damage to the shared areas that was not done by you.

Does he know the circumstances that led to the damage? In which case I'd put the responsibility on him for not providing you all with the required keys and/or emergency information.

There is the risk you have to take into account of the landlord wishing to terminate your tenancy the next time he is able, or wanting to put the rent up to compensate.

the ll is fully aware of the circumstances surrounding this. I was being harassed my a neighbour, banging on my door shouting allsorts due to my leaking shower that's been "fixed" 37 times, suggestive notes put under my door etc. then he harassed the wrong person and got punched!! the landlord was fully aware of the situation and did nothing.

we've had emergencies before were the electricity has gone off at the mains late at night (twice) and we had nothing in place to get hold of them.

tbh I think he'd be very silly if he put the rent up given the state of disrepair in the building, he'd have no tenants!