Jump to content

Bought second hand car, now want a full refund

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello, Ive just signed up because I need some advice.


I went to view a car and took it for a test drive, its a 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI with 80k miles on the clock. During the test drive it was fine, so I put a deposit down on my credit card for £250 and me and the dealer agreed a trade in price for my current car. I went away to sort insurance out on the car etc and to get all the required documents to part exchange my car. On Monday 10th, I took my car down and paid the remaining balance on my credit card, the cars total price was £2,675 after the part exchange.


I started to drive it home and saw that the engine warning light had come on, pulled over and restarted the car and it went away but everytime I would change into 3rd it would come on. Then things got worse, it wouldnt go above 50mph and definately has some fuelling problems. I have taken it back to the dealer and they are working on it right now, but I am now without a car and thinking of asking for a full refund.


What are my rights in this situation? Im currently out of pocket with:-


1. A 3% fee charged on the balance of the car on my credit card which is about £75


2. A return train ticket to and from the car dealer so I can go back down and see the car when its fixed.


3. Admin fees from changing my car insurance policy


4. Public transport costs getting to and from work while I am without a car


5. A "non refundable deposit" which surely I can get back because the car is not fit for purpose


6. £15 of fuel it drank when driving for 30 minutes


7. Can I get my old car back?

Link to post
Share on other sites



They have now rang me to say they have replaced two sensors but this hasnt cleared up the problem. They have now ordered a new fuel pump and are fitting it to the car, it should be ready next week. I think Im definately going to have to ask them for a refund now, its taking the proverbial a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When did you purchase the car?


Edit: didnt read the full post. You should be well within your right to cancel, but the dealer does seem to be doing their part by fixing the vehicle. Are they doing this for free, plus giving it a new MOT or at least a thorough check?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..



If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt you would be able to get any other expenses from them unless they do so out of good will. It's not their fault you had to get a train, and were charged admin fee's on the insurance etc.


Should be able to get a refund easily enough though as the car is not fit for purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The dealer does seem to be trying his best, and they have been pretty helpful and open about whats happening. They are fixing the car for free because it came with a 6 month warranty and I had only driven the car for about 40-50 miles before returning it. I get conflicting advice on what I should do, people tell me either to take my money and run or to wait it out and see.


EDIT: How is it not their fault that I had to get a train? I traded in my working car for a broken one, simple as that really. My old car was being MOT'd so they said I couldnt take it in the meantime.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so after a whole lot of delays and excuses from the dealer, the car still isnt fixed and my old car has been sold at auction. He did tell me yesterday that the car would be fixed and he would ring me this morning. I have left it till 13:00 today to ring him for an update, and his phones have been going straight to voicemail all day. Im so annoyed, its been 8 days since I purchased the car and I have been left without one!


So what would you do? I am giving him till tomorrow to call me back, then I will ask for a refund in full over the phone. Or I go through the credit card company using section 75. Do I contact the police?

Link to post
Share on other sites

some soga info



stautory rights not affected by any warranty. fixing at the least, any warranty aside. and, you poss cld've asked for a refund anyway.

if they havent fixed it prior to yr deadline....then cld reject and ask for refund. its been 8 days?

if the repair is duff, can still reject the repair.

also, cld try for something re all the inconvenience.

credit card cld also be an option.

trading standards wld be one to contact rather than the pol.




Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...