JSA monies owed through Department of Work and Pensions

Hanz_87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone please help me?

This morning my employer received a letter from Department of Work and Pensions stating they are seeking recovery of monies for me.

They had a very old address I hadn't lived at in 4 years.

So I call them and give them my reference, the lady at the end of the line, who is clearly miserable and hates her job tells me I owe 93.70 from Job seekers allowance.

I have not claimed JSA since 2005 when I claimed for 2-3 months. (9 years ago!)

But I know what this is about as soon as she says this.

One day in 2005 when I went to sign on I was told the next sign on sate was a bank holiday, so I'd sign twice on that day and wouldn't go in during the bank holiday. Thinking nothing of it 2 YEARS later when I'm in employment in 2007 I receive a letter saying I owe £93.70.

I speak to a range of different people and they tell me as I didn't actually sign on a date I should have (as it was a bank holiday) I had technically been overpaid and owe them.

I refuse to pay on the grounds of I was just doing exactly what I was told to do, I was not paid any additional amount to what I usually pay. So I appeal. I don't hear anything more from it, until this letter today.

Then I speak to this lady and she says I have no option to appeal despite it being 7 YEARS since I did and I've heard nothing from them until today.

She said I have to pay the money within 10 days.

What do I do? I really don't want to pay money I do not owe.

I feel shocked that despite only signing on for a couple of months in my life and being a tax payer for the past 9 years I am having to deal with this!

Many thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I think for such a small amount, they should write it off but my knowledge in this area is slim so I will move this thread to a more suitable location.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

As a first step I would write back to whoever it was who wrote the letter challenging the demand and say that I couldn’t possibly pay within the time specified. I would need a copy of the evidence they hold for making such a claim.

You could repeat the details of the events that you gave here.

I would also make a Subject Access Request [sAR] asking for copies of all records held by the DWP relevant to me from the date of signing on 9 years ago to the present. Copies of SAR forms can be downloaded from DWP site.