Number Plates on Private Land

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There are many car parks which are on private land and on which ANPR cameras log your coming and goings.

My question is are you legally required to display a number plate on private land?

I was just thinking that if you did accidently overstay would it be legit to gaffer tape over your plate as you left the park

and take the tape off as soon as you have exited?

There are no legal requirements to my knowledge that mean you must display vehicle registration plates on private property.

I would imagine so long as you're not driving on a public highway, then no law requires you to have number plates displayed.

Although most car parks have the ANPR cameras situated at the entrances and exits, so as soon as you've left the property,

you'll be on a public highway, and therefore committing an offence.

It would seem a lot of effort to go to just to trick the system in place when the majority of parking charge notices are unenforceable.

You'd also have to bear in mind, that unless there is a gate or barrier at the entrance (even if it's open) then the car park would still be subject to the Road Traffic Act, private or not thumbup.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

It would seem a lot of effort to go to just to trick the system in place when the majority of parking charge notices are unenforceable.

Whilst not endorsing it, it is hardly a lot of effort to cover or change a letter on the number plate...

You'd also have to bear in mind, that unless there is a gate or barrier at the entrance (even if it's open) then the car park would still be subject to the Road Traffic Act, private or not thumbup.gif

But not the Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994 or the The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Agree to disagree, but I'm fairly sure that as long as the land is private (regardless of whether other vehicles can access it), then there is no law that actually states you must display your vehicle registration plates.

By private, I mean a road, area of land that is not maintained by the local council, or paid for by the general public, and belongs to either an individual or group of individuals, business, organisation etc etc. Most supermarket carparks I would assume are private, with only an implied right of access for those who wish to use the facilities.

There was a post on one of the parking forums with a link to Aldi ( or Lidl ? ) who were advertising number plate covers for around £7.99 to fool ANPR cameras. Ironic really, when some of their own car parks are controlled in this manner. I agree with the disguising your number plate method, it saves a lot of hassle fighting the parking company. With a piece of electrical insulation tape, I'm sure you could turn an " F " into an " E " or something along those lines ?

I think, and this is from memory, it's worded in the Road Traffic Act along the lines of, "A road or any other place to which the public has access".

Though I agree with having them [the PPC's] over, in principle thumbup.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

The Road Traffic Act definition of a road is:

In relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes.

and

In relation to Scotland, means any road within the meaning of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 and any other way to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes.

Some sections of the act have the extension 'or other public place' added in that particular section.

any claim arising from a company saying that reg no must be visible is defeated by case law as would the demand that a tax disc is displayed (that one will cause someone some aggro if they wish to issue demands) as well as the definition of what is a road as it has been determined that the parking spaces are outside the legislation wheras the roads and paths through a car park are within its scope.