British Gas - total idiots - please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post, I will try to keep a long annoying complex matter as simple as possible.

When we moved in to our flat approx. 6 year ago I called BG to set up account and they insisted they didn't supply our gas, I tried on more than one occasion and they still said they do not supply us. Last October we finally got a bill that said our meter reading was 000000. In January it was still 00000, suddenly by March it was pushing £1000!

I know we were very lucky it took them so long to actually bill us however the meter is now working double time it would seem and we are now pushing a bill of £2000. Since March I have requested that I pay £40 per month towards the gas while they look at the meter as I am quite sure we have not used that much gas since January, we live in a small two bed flat, the place heats up quickly once we have our tumble dryer on and cooker, we have not even had to use our heating yet this Winter. So we are only using gas for the hot water as the oven is electric.

I keep opening complaints with them to request that they look at our meter and the way the meter has been connected as we are a large block I fear we are now being charged for some other flats usage also. They keep closing my complaints and saying I did nt reply in time although I did, every one of them I email never actually answers my questions and fobs me off, I really do want this sorted as it is stress I really don't need. We have our electric account with them which is also high (but understandably as we use it a lot) surely they can see I am not making a fuss over nothing as I pay that in full each month, but I am so sure there is a problem with the gas meters - obviously given it has read for 00000 for years !

Any help/support/advice would be very welcome, BG are just not listening to me. I am happy to pay them, just what is fair and right!

Thank you in advance x

Hi Nat500

Welcome to CAG

If you can avoid using the hot water for a day. Take a reading in the morning, take a reading the following morning, that should rule out other flats being billed onto your meter.

Are the bills you received 'estimated or actual'.

Being billed £2,000 from March whilst you have the summer and the mild weather is excessive.

Are you on the cheapest tariff possible for gas? It could be that the meter is 'faulty' due to non useage.

https://www.gov.uk/gas-meter-accuracy-and-disputes