• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Should this ever happen to me, I will make an appeal at the first stage to avoid any problems that may occur at a later stage. Although, any individual in a similar position should decide for themselves what they think is an appropriate course of action. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The Community Network - PO Counter TV advertising -BUT NO TV in the PO!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I am just encountering this problem now having stupidly signed up with The Community Network.

I can't believe I have allowed myself to be caught by this lot. We needed advertising for an exhibition and it seemed like a good idea at the time but within weeks I smelt a rat and am wondering how to get out of this mess we face.

I am currently talking with the Federation of Small Businesses legal advice team. Has anyone been successful in extricating themselves from this company?

We have signed up for advertising in our local main post office. They told us a new TV screen was being installed as the post office was being refurbished. Well as of now there is no TV screen and our exhibition is in two weeks time.

I have given them an ultimatum in legal terms as advised by the FSB legal people but having seen all the post from other people I suspect we are in for major problems.

The copy they sent through was incorrect so a correction request has been sent back.

Frankly, though, I want nothing more to do with these people but the contract seems to be sewn up tight.

Edited by slick132
paragraph spacing added

Hi White Rooster and welcome to CAG

Your post has been moved to your own thread that you can use from now on. I've also added paragraph spacing to your post making it easier to read.

If you made CNTV aware of your needs as regards advertising within a certain time frame, that may be relevant if they failed to provide it.

it may also be relevant if they said the ads would be showing within a specific timeframe at the PO, but they failed to do it.

Tell us more about what the contact promises you, and what you told them you required from them.

You may have the protection of CPUTR 2008. Have a look at Misleading Actions at Section 5 here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2008/9780110811574/part/2

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello slick132

Thank you for responding. We were cold called about advertising in our Seaford Post Office on a TV screen.

As we were in the process of arranging our advertising for my exhibition in November it seems like it could be a good idea as we were told the footfall was around 2000 a month.

The salesman came and saw us and we went through our requirements.

Obviously the advertising was also for a longer period once the exhibition was finished but the initial push was to get as much publicity in the short time available.

We supplied him with our exhibition invitation leaflet with all the details of dates, times and venue etc. He said they could pull other information off our website.

We stressed that this was time critical and we were told it would be up and running at least two weeks before the exhibition date.

We signed the agreement on 22nd October 2014, five weeks before the exhibition date paying a deposit and setting up a direct debit.

The previous day I went into the post office and spoke to the PM. The post office was just coming to the end of refurbishment.

There was no TV screen but we were told the screen would be installed within two weeks in good time for our advert to be displayed.

There is still no TV screen and we are under two weeks from the exhibition.

I sent images to the graphics department on 24th October for use in the advert.

During the week after signing I contacted the Community Network to ask if they had received all the information and images they required as I had not had any acknowledgement. They told me they had just received all the documents and images.

Again I pointed out the need for urgency due to the closeness of the exhibition and they said they understood it should be running two weeks prior to the date.

I finally received and email last Thursday with the draft advert. There were two errors in it and they had ignored all the images I had sent them.

I rang them again and pointed out there was still no TV screen. They said they would find out and get back to me. They didn't.

I rang on Friday and got the same result. Becoming suspicious I Googled the company and came upon your threads and realised we have been duped. Feeling somewhat stupid for falling into this trap.

I have spoken with the FSB legal advice line and they have advised me to send a letter to CNTV giving them an ultimatum as "time is of the essence" that unless the advert is up and running by noon on Tuesday 11th November we will consider them to be in breach of contract.

That is where we stand at the moment. By the way, I sent the letter on Friday evening as a PDF by email and posted a hard copy by recorded delivery on Saturday morning.

Edited by White Roostar
Additional information

Hi there White Roostar. I had major problems with Community TV, but as it took them over 6 months to get my ad running, after trying to deal with the company myself, I sent a solicitor's letter, which thankfully did the trick. They stopped all further payments and my ad is still running for a year (so they say, although it's been moved to a location further away, so I don't know).

I tried all avenues, including Citizen's Advice, who didn't want to know as it was a business contract. I didn't think about the Federation of Small Businsses, but then I'm a small complementary practitioner, so not a member. Most of the solicitors I spoke to were less than optimistic and the final outcome was quite unexpected, I must admit.

Good luck with your quest. Persevere and you may be lucky!

Hi Jacquey. I have read your posts with interest and, I have to say when I first read them, a sinking feeling. I am mighty glad you have found some resolution in this matter. I'm hoping the FSB will be able to guide me through this mine field we seem to have entered unwittingly. We are, I suspect, just at the start of a long and protracted stress trip that I really don't need right now.

Cheers.

Hello slick132

I have just come back from speaking with the PM at Seaford Post Office and he says he has no contract with CNTV to have a TV screen. It dose seem they have sold us something they are not legally entitled to sell. Am I right or does the fact that in the terms and condition they can move us to another site affect that? Our agreement was on the basis of advertising at Seaford.

Hi WR and thanks for the further info.

Please confirm roughly what payment(s) you have made, or agreed to make with a CPA or DD mandate.

I would be looking to cancel any agreement with CNTV immediately due to their breach of contract (failing to act in a timely manner to have your ad running, despite being told that time was of the essence; failing to have an advertising screen in place at the relevant PO; failing to have any agreement in place with the PM at the relevant PO for a screen to be installed).

A formal complaint to Trading Standards would be sensible too.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hello Slick132

Thank you. That is what I intend to do tomorrow after the noon deadline. Having sent off the letter I have to comply with what is written. I have spoken to my bank and credit card company already to make them aware of what is going on. I have to go through due legal process I'm told. To date we have paid £541.20 by credit card as a deposit and set up a direct debit for the second stage payment. My credit card company says they should be able to recover payment made provided CPA are in breach.

I will speak to trading standards also.

As I see it they have taken money under false pretences as they had no contract with the post office in question.

Hi WR,

I would cancel the DD mandate immediately, regardless of anything else. It could being reinstated later if necessary but a doubt that'll happen!

Getting your credit card money back using s.75 CCA 1974 may not be as simple as folk think. It can take time and the banks may not initially give the result you want. Your card provider and CNTV's bank consider your s.75 claim between themselves.

Your card provider will NOT get your money back simply because you tell them to.

Hi slick132

I have spoken to my bank and as yet the DD has not yet been activated by CN so it is not possible to cancel it. Only once it has been set up can it be cancelled. We therefore have to monitor our bank account regularly to see when it is put in place. Only then can the bank act.

Hi WR,

Write a letter and hand it in to the branch, addressed to The Manager :-

Dear sir,

Sort code: xx-xx-xx

Account No: xxxx xxxx

Further to my telephone conversation with the bank today, I was told I cannot cancel a DD mandate as it has not yet been processed by the payee, Community Network TV.

I therefore give you written notice that this DD mandate is to be cancelled immediately and that I do not authorise any payment to be made to CN TV or any other name they use to collect their DD payments.

Yours faithfully,

This isn't so important as you can very easily reclaim any DD that you did not agree with, using the DD Guarantee Scheme. But send the letter anyway.

Hi slic132

Thank you. That's an excellent idea. I will indeed do that so that it is then on permanent record. Just talking to Post Office Ltd to see if they have a contract with CNTV that the franchise manager would not know about.

Hi slick132

I have just been in contact with Post Office Ltd head office enquiring about any connection they might have with onsite TV advertising. They gave me a telephone number which I assumed was a department within the PO only to find myself talking to someone at Community Network. This was a bit of a shock and greatly concerns me that there may be an underlying contract between the PO and CNTV.

Another good reason to stay off the phone and keep everything in writing only !!

Just stick to dealing with your individual case.

When your deadline has passed, I'd simply write to CNTV saying:-

You are in breach of the terms of any agreement between us.

Accordingly, I hereby terminate such agreement forthwith and will seek the return of all monies paid using s.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, namely £541.20.

If you fail to refund as required, I will take court action against you.

The matter will be reported to Trading Standards as a formal complaint.

Of course you may wish to be guided by advice from the FSB.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 5 months later...

Hi Slick32

It's been a little while since my last posting and things have moved on a it since. Following our last exchange I actually engage a solicitor who advised me regarding rescinding the "contract". At the same time I blocked all Direct Debit payments and got my credit card company to recover my deposit money. This they have done as VISA agreed that CN had failed to provide the service they supposedly sold me.

I am now, of course, starting to receive threatening letters with noises about 8% daily interest and county court action if I don't pay the deposit. My solicitor assures me they are unlikely to pursue court action but never the less it is quite intimidating. What I wanted to know from you is do you know of anyone actually becoming involved with court action with CN. I have not seen any threads relating such.

Cheers

White Roostar

Hi,

While I know very little on this matter, if they are saying 8% DAILY then they are wrong.

The 8% is annually based at a daily rate.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Reference to 8% daily interest is perhaps correct in one way.

They're referring to 8% Statutory Interest which is added to a claim up to the date of settlement. And it is added daily but on a pro-rata basis.

Anyway, I'm not aware of one single case where CNTV have taken court action. To me, they look like an outfit of complete chancers who hide behind lots of threats and hot air, but take no real action.

The reason for this- they would probably be laughed out of court because of their reputation for failing to provide the agreed service.

If you read other threads here about CNTV, you'll see how they operate - full of hot air, bluster and threats but no court action to seek enforcement.

Stop stressing about them. Think of the next letter as something to ignore or laugh about, not as something to be troubled by.