Jump to content


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I have been a regular customer with Provident for approximately 2 years now,


Borrowing whatever they offered me and managing to make the repayments on time.


I am disabled and only have my benefits to live on and pay the bills which my regular collection agent was aware of.


When I applied for a new loan she just put any figures in the income and expenditure box to make sure the loan was approved.


She has recently retired leaving me with a loan I can not repay.


I needed to get another mobility scooter as the one I had was going to cost a fortune to repair


I asked for more money and


she gave me £1200 over a 2 year period with payments of £24 per week.


Two weeks ago my ex wife died suddenly leaving me with full care of our special needs son.


I have not got benefits sorted out yet


no way can I afford the payments and


I do not know what to do.


I also have severe depression which is being worsened by the worry.


Can I say that provident didn't lend responsibilly and can whistle for their money

or if I do have to pay them what is the lowest amount I can offer them per week.

Please help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Outa


Very sorry to hear for your loss.


Right first off,

How much can you afford to pay Provident? (Personally Id drop it to £1 a month)

and thats all they will get no matter how much they scream etc


Next off you could raise a complaint with them,

and if that doesnt work, your can raise a complaint with the FOS.


You need to be clear with your evidence and also with the reason you are complaining.



They have to do "Proper" Affordability checks and if they have no done so then there is a breach right here.


Can I ask what evidence you have to support this? (Not denying, but we'd like to help you :))


We could do with some help from you.


Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group



Receptaculum Ignis


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply;



At the present time I do not know how much I can afford to repay them

as I don't yet know what my new income and expenditure is going to be.



What I don't want to do is make an agreement with them to pay a set amount each month

then find out that I don't have enough money to make the payment.


Whatever happens the health and wellbeing of my son will come before them in my list of priorities whether they like it or not.

Can I really offer them as little as £1 per month.


Who would I make my complaint to;

the agent that lent me the money has now left the company so I can't complain to her.


Affordability checks were not done on any of my recent loans:

the details were taken from the figures I gave them when I first started using the company 2 years ago.



All the forms were filled out without me being there and I just signed them on the day I got the cash.



Stupid I know but I was desperate for the money to buy the new scooter.



The last loan was handed to me in the back seat of the agents car in a local pub car park .


I don't have any written evidence that the loans were not offered in the correct way

but I do have witnesses namely my partner and her son who saw the loans being paid straight to me without the proper paperwork being done .


I know I have been stupid borrowing money this way

and I genuinely do wish I'd never set eyes on them but the truth is I owe them £1200

which will be rising daily and I really don't know how to get myself out of this mess.



Any advice will be gratefully received .



Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact us by post


Customer Relations


1 Godwin Street




Provident Personal Credit Limited, Registered Office: 1 Godwin Street, Bradford BD1 2SU. Registered in England, Number 146091. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Interim Permissions Reference Number 002529.


note interim permissions reference:- 002529 I always quote SRA/DCA numbers as it wakes them up sometimes when they may think complaints to Regulators may take place,.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..



If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

Financial Group



Mr Peter Crook Chief Executive


Email [email protected]

Telephone 01274 351135

Website http://www.providentfinancial.com

Social Media TFY


Postal Address 1 Godwin Street, Bradford, BD1 2SU, UKM

Company Number 00146091C



Note the Surname - fits well with that organisation

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Since then i have recently received a red plastic card about the same size as a bank card attached to a blank piece of paper so what they expect me to do with that i have no idea.

No collection agent has been anywhere near my property for weeks now but they have sent another threatening letter saying if i don"t pay they may take further action to recover their money. There is no agreement in place for me to repay the money so as far as i am concerned they can take me to court. I could be wrong but i don"t think they have a leg to stand on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get their bank details and pay via standing order. Provident are well known for this type of thing. Thats why you should never have done business with them in the first place.


If you took out a loan, and they gave you it and you made payments to it, then the court wouldnt necessarily need an agreement ( it will depend on judge lottery though). You still owe it, so they could take you to court and get a judgement. Thats why its better to get a full complain in, and not ignore this, and make repayments via standing order to their bank.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..



If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven"t made any repayments to the last loan yet, When my ex wife died i could not afford to make the payments so i contacted them to ask for help and this is what they have done.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...