Burchell Edwards 2nd claimform for bogus House selling fees - 1st case was discontinued

Me-jules7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2985 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Our house was up for sale with Elder Twells first with their board outside, the buyers sister lives round the corner.

Buyer contacted Burchell on several occasions requesting details - they never sent them to him that's why he contacted me direct.

The claim is around £2.5

My main queries are:

The original claim went right to 2 days before the court hearing when they sent in a letter stating not continuing with claim to the courts.

They state in new claim they have corresponded with me on several occasions when in fact the last I heard from them was the withdrawal letter.

There is no 'special' permission applied for I've phoned money claim online this morning.

Thanks for all the advice :-)

Julie

Hi, thanks for the clarification. The problem with your case is that buyer must have known Burchells were instructed to sell the property, otherwise he would not have contacted them. I am not sure if this would be enough to trigger liability for commission. Probably not, but you still need to get your hands on a copy of the document you signed. It sounds like they haven't complied with their own T&Cs and if you can point to that, that will be incredibly persuasive for the judge.

Good to hear the claim is for £2.5k. You might as well defend it all the way then, since it is very unlikely they'll recover any costs from you even if they win. The key is to be properly prepared - push hard for a copy of that document.

I think you should write to the claimant separately from the court process informing them that you haven't heard anything from them whatsoever, and to ask them to make sure correspondence is directed to the correct address. Keep a copy of this - it is important to have a paper trail if they send any more documents to the wrong address.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

hiya

I've found the original document it says sole agency :-(

I will defend all the way again!

I kept the money to one side to pay from the last claim if we weren't successful but when they pulled the claim we spent the money. It was back in March and I've had nothing since!

If they actually assisted in the sale of my house and not pushed for the higher bracket to increase their costs to me I would have no issue in paying them, Whitegates who we brought our house from helped the whole way through the process of anything the money should go to them :-)

Thanks for all the advise really appreciate it :-)

Mejules7

Civil Procedure Rules 1998 state the following:

Discontinuance and subsequent proceedings;

38.7 A claimant who discontinues a claim needs the permission of the court to make another claim against the same defendant if –

(a) he discontinued the claim after the defendant filed a defence; and

(b) the other claim arises out of facts which are the same or substantially the same as those relating to the discontinued claim.

Hope this helps.

Civil Procedure Rules 1998 state the following:

Discontinuance and subsequent proceedings;

38.7 A claimant who discontinues a claim needs the permission of the court to make another claim against the same defendant if –

(a) he discontinued the claim after the defendant filed a defence; and

(b) the other claim arises out of facts which are the same or substantially the same as those relating to the discontinued claim.

Hope this helps.

Massively yes thank you very muchly :-D 😻👍👊😋

Hi MJ,

I've found the original document it says sole agency :-(

I will defend all the way again!

Can you confirm who the document is from and how it affects the case. :???:

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Massively yes thank you very muchly :-D 😻👍👊😋

You're Welcome.

Defend the claim in full, note the CPR section as quoted above, it might also be worth applying to strike the claim out on that basis. I'm not sure whether it'll be applicable, but you might also be able to claim losses (£18 per hour for litigant in person). I'm sure others will clarify or correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi

Our house was up for sale with Elder Twells first with their board outside, the buyers sister lives round the corner.

Buyer contacted Burchell on several occasions requesting details - they never sent them to him that's why he contacted me direct.

I'm a bit confused here. Where do Elder Twells come into this? Up to this point the thread was all about Burchell Edwards. It's Burchell Edward who have issued proceedings against you yes? And previously Connells issued proceedings? (Connells and Burchell Edwards are both part of the Skipton Building Society Group but Elder Twells is an entirely independnent estae agent as far as I can see from their website.)

Did you instruct both Elder Twells and Burchell Edwards at the same time? Were both their boards outside your house at the same time?

Its great that you found the original document. What does it say about payment of commission? And also about their obligation to market the property? I'm hoping there is something in there you can use against them.

Its great that you found the original document. What does it say about payment of commission? And also about their obligation to market the property? I'm hoping there is something in there you can use against them.

Will check this when I get home :)

I'm a bit confused here. Where do Elder Twells come into this? Up to this point the thread was all about Burchell Edwards. It's Burchell Edward who have issued proceedings against you yes? And previously Connells issued proceedings? (Connells and Burchell Edwards are both part of the Skipton Building Society Group but Elder Twells is an entirely independnent estae agent as far as I can see from their website.)

Did you instruct both Elder Twells and Burchell Edwards at the same time? Were both their boards outside your house at the same time?

I put the house up with Elder Twells first they put their board straight up literally the same day, but Burchell advised I could use their 14 day cancellation to come away from them. Jodie (Burchell) as she left my house pulled down elder Twells board as she went, she then went and hand delivered the cancellation form to Elder Twells also.

Hi mJ,

Do you have the Elder Twells agreement to confirm if you had a 14 day cancellation clause ?

Do you know how long it was between you instructing Elder Twells and Burchells getting you to use them instead ?

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi mJ,

Do you have the Elder Twells agreement to confirm if you had a 14 day cancellation clause ?

Do you know how long it was between you instructing Elder Twells and Burchells getting you to use them instead ?

Hi Slick

Unfortunately I don't have the elder Twells :-(

If I remember correctly it was approx a week, I phoned Elders earlier and they confirmed they have a 14 day cool off period.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you :-)

Cheers

MJ

Hi MJ,

OK, we can leave Elder Twells out of the equation as they were dis-instructed when Burchells signed you up.

I assume that you have already lodged your Acknowledgement of Service but please confirm.

Please respond to the Q's raised by Steampowered in post #34.

• 2 weeks later...

morning

apologies I've had no laptop it decided it had enough grew wings and is now enjoying life in laptop heaven lol :-)

Filed defence last night, used same defence as last time then also included the bit from above, fingers crossed it's enough :-)

Thanks again for your help I will keep you updated

MJ x

• 1 year later...

yes!!!

well done!!:whoo:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Excellent :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

The judge was very much in my favour

went down the customer satisfaction line and that from all my emails and copy letters

I obviously wasn't a satisfied customer.

Burchell had no response, the lady who originally came to my house to value it refused to attend

and the office manager who attended said he understood after listening to my account of things where I was coming from.

I think he thought the signed contract was all he needed

his face was a complete picture when the judge awarded in my favour.

I can't remembered the exact law/rule she quoted but stated any further attempts to take me to court would also be chucked out.

Very happy that from recieving the initial brochure via email I kept all correspondence and also that between myself and the buyer

Great to see you won.