Questions about ending a tenancy early.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife and I are renting and we've had several instances of anti-social behaviour in the immediate area recently. Last week a car was set on fire right outside our house and last night 2 more were burnt about a 50 yards away. I thought the first might have been an accident but with the other 2 going up I'm guessing it's deliberate. We've also had a couple of letters from the police asking for reports of anti-social behaviour in the street and to attend a local meeting about the problems where we could voice any problems so it is a known trouble spot to the council and police.

Our tenancy runs out at the end of February but I'd like to know if these incidents could be grounds for ending the tenancy early?

Also the landlord hasn't given us any information about the deposit protection scheme or even if he's using one. Could we use this to end the tenancy?

Agree regarding the first 'no', but the second is more a 'depends'.

If your LL has not protected your deposit, you could ask him/her to release you early from the tenancy on the basis that you would not sue for non-protection. Depends on the size of the deposit (it is what feeds the size of the penalty a judge can award) as to whether it will be persuasive enough for the LL to end the tenancy more than three months early.

Before you consider threatening landlord with a court action over your deposit, you should check with the three main deposit protection schemes whether any of them holds your deposit. You can do this online.

If your deposit has been protected, but landlord has omitted to send you written confirmation of the details any "compensation"payment is likely to be towards the lower end of the scale. You've got over three months before your tenancy comes to an end, and you are liable for rent until then. Only you can decide.

If your deposit hasn't been protected, well, you can try to throw the book at him. But, speaking personally, I wouldn't do that until I'd found somewhere else to live.

Lea, my simple No was in response to questions whether burned out cars and deposit non-protection were reasons for ending the T early.

Neither are valid reasons, though LL may be prepared to accept Ts early surrender as per your suggestion, because he cannot serve valid s21, he would still risk T suing for non-protection for approx. next 6 yrs, even if T did agree not to sue.

I ask the question for what other reason does T want to vacate? Often the answer could be offer of cheaper/better accom, poss HA.

In 4 months time T can vacate without Notice, until then he has committed to 6 month fixed term.

Anti-social behaviour is not nice at all for you. But no ground for ending the tenancy before the fixed term ends.

Landlord sounds like he's an idiot if he hasn't protected your deposit and given you the "prescribed information" about it. A penalty charge between one and three times the amount of the deposit can be awarded by the court to the tenant. You have six years to claim this. You can check with each of the deposit schemes - publicly available information - whether they protect a deposit for your address.